Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-02, 01:49 AM  
sublime

Talking My obnoxious dh!

I just had to tell someone...
I am so pleased.
On the new firm 30day rotation I have lost 10lbs and firmed up!!

I was fed up of the "fat ass" comments and the continual "just for a laugh" kicks on the butt that I have had to put up with from my obnoxious dh for the last 9 months since the birth of my baby.

I decided last month that I am going to begin to live my life the best way I can.

I am not going to let ANYONE including him, ridicule me because of the weight I am. I got the FIRM kit and some Step vids and I have not looked back.

The funny thing is that dh and I started around the same weight
he 185, me 183.
He has been going to the gym and bragging about his 4 workouts a week... but everytime I wanted to go to the gym he would make excuses why he couldnt babysit...even for 45 mins!!

Well I got the old credit card out (his money!) and spent a couple of nights on a fitness spending spree a.k.a. collage and amazon.

Today I told him that I now weigh 10lbs less in 4 weeks and he found it excruciating to even say wow.
Meanwhile he is still up there 185, potbelly and all.

Thank God for home exercise vids and thanks to you all. Reading the threads and reviews over the last month has really kept me focused on my goal to lose 40lbs and I am already 1/4 way there.

***S U B L I M E***
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-02, 07:12 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Congratulations, sublime!! You can't control your DH, but you CAN control YOU, and you are taking charge! Good girl. I wish you much success in your fitness endeavors.

Hope the DH comes around. That must be infuriating. Men can be SO clueless, bless 'em.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-02, 07:23 AM  
Tugger31

Wink

Congrats on your success!! Sounds like your husband is the one who needs a kick in the pants for being so inconsiderate!! Just tell him you're practicing a new tae bo move.

Stacy
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-02, 07:37 AM  
videogirl

Re: My obnoxious dh!

Quote:
Originally posted by sublime

I was fed up of the "fat ass" comments and the continual "just for a laugh" kicks on the butt that I have had to put up with from my obnoxious dh for the last 9 months since the birth of my baby.

I am not going to let ANYONE including him, ridicule me because of the weight I am.
***S U B L I M E***
It sounds like you are committed to your new goal and that is what it takes to be successfull. Good for you!

However I just wanted to say that the things you said about your husband are not just obnoxious but border on abusive and are disrespectful. Please don't let anyone talk to you like that. No one should have to put up with disrespect and ridicule. You and your child deserve better.

I know I may have taken it the wrong way, because it is hard to get just the right emotions across when writing. I hope I am mistaken, but it just didn't sound right to me and I wanted to mention it. Their are many men who don't say things like that to their wives, it isnt' typical or normal.
videogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-02, 08:12 AM  
Inchworm

Get some powerstrike and ....

give your dh a swift kick in his a** ha ha

You should be proud of yourself and keep up the good work!

Way to go!

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-02, 08:26 AM  
dnk
VF Supporter

Congratulations

And I suggest in a couple of weeks you get his credit card out and get some new videos- your muscles need to stay confused, you know

And maybe the kickboxing isn't a bad idea- and sounds like his potbelly would be a great target

Deb
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-02, 10:15 AM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Re: Re: My obnoxious dh!

Quote:
Originally posted by videogirl

However I just wanted to say that the things you said about your husband are not just obnoxious but border on abusive and are disrespectful. Please don't let anyone talk to you like that. No one should have to put up with disrespect and ridicule. You and your child deserve better.

I know I may have taken it the wrong way, because it is hard to get just the right emotions across when writing. I hope I am mistaken, but it just didn't sound right to me and I wanted to mention it. Their are many men who don't say things like that to their wives, it isnt' typical or normal.
Another thing: You have an absolute right not to put up with weight or appearance abuse. This right is not conditional on your losing weight. It's not even conditional on your making healthy modifications in your lifestyle. If at any time you should slip in your fitness regime, you still have the right not to tolerate that crap.

In addition, you have every right to decide whether your weight is a problem or not. There are some women who weigh 180 pounds who decide to lose weight, and fine for them. But there are others (generally not those in your situation, though, but that's another story) who decide that weight is physically right for them - and that's OK too. Ultimately, it's your decision. You shouldn't let anyone else push you into it or try to sway you out of fear.
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-02, 10:26 AM  
csmith
VF Supporter

And another thing...

It's His Baby Too!

In our house, we don't call it babysitting unless it is done by someone other than the parents. You deserve time off from parenting to take care of yourself. After all, it is his child too.

Just my opinion.

Cynthia (in TN)
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-02, 10:51 AM  
Rosalind
VF Supporter

I agree with Cynthia

And also, while I don't know how you and your husband structure your finances, I'm concerned about the phrase "his money". As far as I'm concerned, there's paid work and unpaid work. They're both work, and it takes two to support a household. My salary helped put my husband through school, and helped pay off his sizable school loans. I'm an at-home mom now, and if I didn't take care of the household stuff, my husband would either have to pay someone to do it (or live in squalor! )

Becoming a parent is, for many if not all, much harder than we ever imagine. Regardless of the role each parent plays, it's a joint effort.

I find that when I feel respected and appreciated, everything else falls into place. And that needs to go both ways.

Taking care of yourself is taking care of your family.

Rosalind
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-02, 11:25 AM  
Tanja

Re: And another thing...

Quote:
Originally posted by csmith
It's His Baby Too!

In our house, we don't call it babysitting unless it is done by someone other than the parents. You deserve time off from parenting to take care of yourself. After all, it is his child too.

Just my opinion.

Cynthia (in TN)
I am the single (married) SAHM of two. My husband has changed maybe a total of 5 diapers over the years and has never given me a break (unless trips to the grocery store alone count). I take them to the park, the pool, to school, on walks - never my husband. On weekends he is at home but he's not getting involved in family activities (sitting in front of the computer and playing computer games). I used to despair sometimes but now I am ok. My youngest started kindergarten this year - now I have break. Supporting us financially is enough he thinks.

I am stronger than ever because of his lacking support of raising our two children. If I should ever be really on my own, I know I can make it.

Cynthia, go hug your husband. Men aren't all that great.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote