Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-14, 11:06 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
That's why I love kettlebells. They're more interesting to me than isolated muscle exercises.

Personally, I found that kettlebells weren't very effective for my upper body, but they gave me the best butt I've ever had! They're a great method of low impact, high intensity cardio, too, though one limiting factor for me was that they'd always kill my hands. No matter how much training I did, no matter what I used- chalk, four different types of gloves, kettlebell training pads- my hands were always ripped to shreds. And yes, my technique was good (trained with an awesome RKC instructor for a while)- I just have really small hands and I was using very heavy bells.
That's exactly the problem I have with kbs: my poor hands. Personally, I feel like I had my best upper body and core when I was exclusively using AOS DVDs, especially Providence. My glutes were where I wanted them as well. I also want to add that I agree with what has been said here about Mark de Grasse and Onnit. Mark is a very cool guy. I follow him and Onnit on FB and have subscribed to My Mad Methods for a few years.

People have different preferences with KBs. Daisy and others love working with a light bell...I really, really dislike it. I agree with Kyra. If the op tried them in their many variations and still doesn't like them, well, at least she expanded her exercise horizons.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-14, 11:16 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
This.

As other have mentioned before we're not trying to convince her she's wrong. We added some suggestions as she said she didn't feel her legs and core worked out enough or as expected, she never mentioned she didn't like using the kettlebell as a tool. I love kettlebells and I tend to do more traditional kettlebell than hybrids and always felt well worked out after done. But, I also love using my dumbbells, barbel, sandbag, ugi ball, etc. I'm so glad there are so many tools to choose from! If she just doesn't click with them, that's not wrong at all. The thing is to keep moving and do what we enjoy doing!
I also view kettlebells as just another tool and I've pretty much given up on finding a kettlebell DVD I like. I like them best mixed in with other exercises in a routine, eg. Strength Training for Fat Loss or D2S.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-14, 04:36 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I also view kettlebells as just another tool and I've pretty much given up on finding a kettlebell DVD I like. I like them best mixed in with other exercises in a routine, eg. Strength Training for Fat Loss or D2S.
I agree with Sue. For me, kettlebells is just another fitness tool. With that said, I LOVE training with my kettlebells. But it's been years since I've used a DVD. I do my own circuits.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-14, 12:01 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I never got into kettlebells. I decided that I couldn't risk swinging something around inside my family room or even garage. Too much risk of letting go and breaking something. If I did it in a gym, it might be a different matter, but I won't use them at home.
Old 06-25-14, 07:43 AM  
Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
Hi,

Does anyone else out there find that kettlebells just don't work for them? I am working with Dasha's Scourcher Series and find that my legs and core aren't worked the way I expected them to be.

I always had such good results with Cathe (all those squats, lunges and step-ups), but needed a change.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with kettlebells? Thanks.

Yes, I love to work my lowerbody with kettlebells (swings, squats, lunges deadlifts etc) and hard! I find most kettlebell dvds focus on upper body and core and my buns are always left for wanting more..lol! I do my own LB workout with kettlebells, lowerbody only I find it most affective, 20 minutes 1 minute on one minute off various lower body moves.. the last thing my apple body needs is another windmill or Turkish get-up. What I love about lower body KB is the moves are very affective for shaping the buns quickly if done right.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-14, 08:23 AM  
Breezy Trousers

I prefer kettlebell training -- I did it for nearly 4 years straight -- but, truth be told, my body responds much better to conventional weight training for upper body & Tonique/BBL/running/walking for lower body. I tried every form of kettlebell training out there, too .... No matter. I'm not that results driven and it's fun for me, so I will continue to kettlebell train.

My RKC trainer competed in national fitness/bikini contests. She switched from conventional weight training to kettlebell training when she quickly saw she had better results in half the time with kettlebell training.

Each body responds differently to it.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-14, 08:47 AM  
BigBadBetty

I did kettlebells as part of a class I had a gym 10 years ago or so. It always felt awkward to me. Granted I am an awkward person. I was always afraid I was going to hurt myself. (I never did hurt myself with kettlebells.) I tried them again last year. As a previous poster noted, I kept fearing that I was going to launch one in my house.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-14, 10:19 AM  
Betty Boop

My favorite kettlebell workout is RKS. Here's a link to it on Mary's site: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/RKS...-Set-p/rks.htm There are two reviews; Mine is the first one listed.

It's pricey, but will probably go on Mary's July sale.
Old 06-28-14, 10:39 AM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
I prefer kettlebell training -- I did it for nearly 4 years straight -- but, truth be told, my body responds much better to conventional weight training for upper body & Tonique/BBL/running/walking for lower body......
I do much better with conventional heavyish weight training for both upper and lower body, but kettlebells are so much more fun. I too think fun is more important.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-14, 12:14 PM  
suzannaerin

B2--Thanks for passing along the recommendations for this one. I added it to my cart at Mary's, with fingers crossed that it will be included in her sale.

I just received KettleX and did the first disk (beginner's). It was a good workout! I'm fairly new to KBs, so I appreciated the slower pace and the form pointers. The background person was showing modifications, as well.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell