Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-22, 08:40 PM  
moonbeam31

I bought all the DVDs the second they were available. So far I've done:
•Stretch and Relax
•Total Body Strength Training
•FUSION Flow and Glow.
I really like all of them so far! I like that she is alone in these actually. These seem very modern, no nonsense and like she is our personal trainer. I don't like just a few tiny things like getting down in a side plank for abs, but other that that I'm happy with her workouts! I'm just so glad to have new content from her! She is just my favorite. Ellen barret is too, I do her monthly streaming subscription. I feel like between these two, all the bases are covered for me!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 12:35 PM  
CharM

Work It! 38 Minutes

First time doing it, so I picked 15 and 12 for heavy, 5 for light. 15 were too heavy for the chest press, I think you do 18 reps, then alternate for 18 each at a faster tempo. I was shaking. I dropped to 12 for the second set. These are done after slow pushups, so maybe that was the reason. Or I'm a wimp now. I don't know.
- chest press, dig heels onto floor, do a hip raise while pressing
- alternate chest press, balls of feet on floor, hips stay up while pressing

keep one heavy db for 1.5 squat, hold db vertical. I didn't count reps. You definitely have time to grab a heavier db, which is what I'll do next time.

holding a heavy db, hip hinge lunge, db stays by your side, then switch db to other side to do the same lower body move but add a row

light weights:
another hinge move while forming a W, keep your back leg down or float back as your arms make the W

wide squat, arms up, then pull down elbows to 90 degrees, while coming up from squat. Next you hold the squat so just your arms are working

this one had me stumped and unsteady at first: holding light weights, you do a right side lunge with both arms reaching down, then come up, tap your right toe slightly while pulling left arm back to squeeze your back, push your left arm out while crossing your right leg in front of the left, come back to repeat. I left out the toe tap, which helps keep you steady, so I flailed a few times.

abs:
on your back, slow cross crunch, then stay on one side for pulses
side plank w/leg circles 4 forward, 4 back, switch

I'm sure I'm missing some exercises. I didn't pay attention to the time, so I don't know how many minutes you'd save by skipping abs, but I don't think it's much.

This gets a thumbs up so far*. My muscles felt worked, I had some sweat, but didn't feel wiped out, and I wasn't bored.

*we'll see how my back feels later or even tomorrow. Sometimes my back gets achy and I'm not sure what it was that caused it.

----- July 23 ----- . I chose this workout this morning because, "I still haven't done this one yet, I should try it." So like 15 minutes into it, I had a sense of deja vu. lol I used 12 for chest, 15 for lower, 5 for light. Thumbs up again. My back didn't hurt last time and it *shouldn't* hurt this time.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 08:25 PM  
bjones

I definitely agree that these workouts leave you feeling worked out but not wiped out. Which is good at my age of 65!!!!
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 09:52 PM  
alisoncooks

Alright y’all. Talk me into the Fusion Flow gliding workout! I’m still on the fence (I like Jessica but have never clicked with any of her stuff, other than just a couple YouTube videos).

Who really likes this one and why?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 02:41 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Alright y’all. Talk me into the Fusion Flow gliding workout! I’m still on the fence (I like Jessica but have never clicked with any of her stuff, other than just a couple YouTube videos).

Well, maybe the lack of response/excitement is a good indicator that I can skip this one!
Old 06-25-22, 08:29 PM  
dianestjohn

So far I have only done Rise and Release from the stretch dvd. Rise was ok but not memorable, the moves seemed awkward and I sometimes couldn't feel the stretches - it moved fairly quickly and I could not see what she was doing and the moves were not well described. Release uses a towel or strap - I used a strap and that was really difficult cuz the strap was rough and I just didn't feel like it was put to good use, there was a lot of moving back and forth and I didn't feel it was effective, I would have gotten a better stretch just using my hands to hold my toes or whatever. Probably it would have gone better with a towel. Although I usually love how gentle Jessica is I felt she was TOO low-key and gentle in these stretches, saying over and over not to go too far, listen to your body, adjust for your needs, etc. I am guessing I will not keep the stretch dvd but I have very high hopes for everything else in the set. And when all of my dvds arrived today it was super fun to open them up and examine them all - that's a thrill I just don't get with my Youtube workouts.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 08:48 PM  
bjones

Quote:

Well, there are two fusion "flows" on the fusion flow and glow DVD. The naming choices for all these could have been better!
First up is Full Body "Flow" using 2 gliders. This one had some light cardio using the discs with slide outs, lunges, and squats. I say cardio because you aren't using weights and the moves are not super strength-y. There is a lot of core work with standing cross chops, planks early on, and then a 7 minute plank segment at the end. I thought it was just ok, but I couldn't use my Cathe hard gliding discs at all on this one, they were too painful. I just did it without sliding. It didn't seem very hard to me (I use a chair for the planks so they are easy) so I have pegged it as a good light day workout.
The next fusion is Fusion "Flow" Sculpt. It uses one disc but I did fine without. This one had mostly leg work with light weights. UB work includes shoulders, back rear delts, triceps and biceps but very light. My thighs were burning from the forward lean positions (From what I recall). It was just ok. Overall I don't think I will get much use of them. I think earlier reviewers had more positive comments. One thing I did like on both of these is how many of the moves incorporated core.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 06:47 AM  
katalina

Quote:
Well, maybe the lack of response/excitement is a good indicator that I can skip this one!

I only purchased two from this set - Fusion Flow & Glow and Stretch & Relax. I've only done the segments on Fusion Flow & Glow once. I usually love Jessica's fusion workouts. Full Body Flow had so many planks! I don't mind planks in a workout - but, this had so many variations I doubt I will ever do it again. I did enjoy the bonus Pilates Core Series!

I love Stretch & Relax and am glad I purchased it. I love adding these on to my morning bike rides.
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 07:47 AM  
alisoncooks

Thanks y’all. I’ll probably pass. My back dislikes leaning forward and I try to avoid them these days. It’s not like I don’t have enough other workouts to do…
Old 06-26-22, 08:12 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thanks y’all. I’ll probably pass. My back dislikes leaning forward and I try to avoid them these days. It’s not like I don’t have enough other workouts to do…
I find there is a ton of forward leaning work in this set. My low back does not like it, even in small doses. Honestly, I was disappointed.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, strong + centered, strong + centered reviews, strong+centered series