Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-22, 10:53 AM  
wendug

Richard Simmons documentary

TMZ Investigates: What Really Happened to Richard Simmons

This documentary aired on Fox but I didn't see it. I have been curious about the mystery of Richard Simmons disappearing from public life. I don't know how accurate this documentary will be since it is from TMZ, but it should be interesting to watch.
Old 08-23-22, 11:08 AM  
cttx31

I'm sorry I missed it, but supposedly tubi will be airing it free starting August 30. There was a podcast about this a few years back.

It's also on hulu right now.

Carol T.
cttx31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-22, 11:15 AM  
lselbach
VF Supporter

The local ABC affiliate in Sacramento aired an investigation into this last night, but I am unable to stay awake until 10PM to see it
Old 08-23-22, 11:40 AM  
Gams

I watched it but learned absolutely nothing - lots of speculation, but no real information. If Richard wants to be left alone, then they should leave him alone. I just hope he’s okay. It made me sad when Suzanne Somers said Richard was supposed to be on Larry King with her, but he wouldn’t do it because he thought she would make fun of him.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-22, 03:45 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I caught it after it had been on for 22 minutes. Not sure what the point was. He disappeared in 2014 and hasn't been seen since. He always made fun of himself by dressing and acting so outrageously, but it hurt him when people made fun of him for doing that. His knees were really bad and he walked with a cane, which held to the speculation that he didn't want anyone to see him that way.

TMZ's big conclusion was that he's a master of disguise and has been out and about all along.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-22, 04:16 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm soooo glad I'm not a celebrity so it wouldn't be worthwhile for TMZ to "investigate" me if I decided to remove myself from public life. ITA that he should be left alone since that seems to be what he wants.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-22, 08:04 PM  
Sollamyn

It's on Hulu. I just noticed it today, but I haven't watched it yet. I might at watch it at some point. Maybe...

Donna
Old 08-24-22, 08:13 AM  
ellaenchanted

Richard has put out a couple of statements that he is fine and did not want to continue being in teh public eye. I am not sure why some media outlets keep trying to make such a mystery out of it. He was at an age when many people retire, he had been working for a long times, and it seems he may have had problematic knees. I hope they leave the poor man alone now.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 09:41 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

This is the downside of fame. All my best to him in his retirement.
Old 08-24-22, 10:32 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I listened to the podcast Missing Richard Simmons when it came out, done by journalist Dan Taberski who had taken classes at Slimmons. The upshot is that Richard's knees are shot and it's difficult for him to get around, plus he's burned out from being such a great big, giving personality. I can absolutely imagine that if you're recognized every time you go out and expected to 'perform' an especially energetic character when you're in pain and just wanted to pick up your dry cleaning that it would get old pretty quick.

No idea why TMZ, not the greatest poster child for integrity, thought they needed to dig this up again.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
richard simmons