Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-20, 11:52 AM  
angie_nrs

Exercise mat

I was wondering if any of you have a home exercise mat that is durable and non slip that you use over a small pile carpeted floor? I buy the cheaper ones at Dunhams for about $15 but they don't last long. I hate to throw them in the garbage, but they get destroyed usually within a year. I just put a new one down, so i'll have to see exactly how long it will last. They would be fine if I wasn't doing things like burpees, mountain climbers, or corkscrew ab excercises where there is a lot of torque/pressure on the feet pushing against the mat in a horizontal direction. That stress causes micro tears on the top and it starts peeling off little by little and soon there are little black flecks and pebbles on the mat. Soon thereafter, there will be a rip in the mat, then another, then another, etc. I turn it around so it's not the same place getting the workout stress, but that only gives me a little more time until it tears again.

I have the interlocking foam tiles, but I think they will do the same thing. It seems to me when I tried those before, they'd come unlocked too. Perhaps I need to give those a try again.

I saw the ones on Amazon by MRO, but those are quite pricey....like in the $150 range. I guess I wouldn't mind spending the money if I knew they would last and not fall apart.

Does anyone have a mat that they would recommend that holds up to grippy shoes and tough workouts? The size of the one I currently have is 4 x 8 ft. Thanks!
Old 09-30-20, 05:35 PM  
SherBear

Your post reminded me that I need one. I checked Amazon and Gorilla Mats are on a lightening deal right now. 30 bucks off 7' X 5. Yoga and exercise. I have never owned one but the company quality seems good. Mine will be here Oct 2nd
SherBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-20, 05:54 PM  
sherry7899

I have a Gorilla mat and I really like it. It helps to keep my knees happy during cardio, and adds extra cushioning when I use my yoga mat over it.

Mine is over Berber carpeting. It does shift around a little bit.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-20, 08:50 PM  
angie_nrs

Thanks SherBear! I measured my current workout space and I think a 7x5 will work fine so I ordered. This mat is guaranteed for life!!! No more replacing my workout mat.....just what I was looking for. When I ordered, there was only 10 minutes left for the lightening deal.

Good to hear a positive review from this board too Sherry. Thanks!
Old 10-16-20, 03:31 PM  
angie_nrs

I just wanted to update. I took SherBears advice and ordered the Gorilla Mat. I had to go and pick it up at the post office b/c it was too oversized for the mail lady to bring it. I was annoyed with that at first, until I went to pick it up and then understood why. That thing is stout and was a handful to bring it home. At first I wished I'd had gotten one a foot or so longer like my other one was, but quickly realized that it is slippery with wet hands, so doing something like burpees or pushups is not a good idea unless you have a non-slip surface to put your hands on. So, I have my grippy yoga mat in front of the gorilla mat. If I do a burpee or any exercise where my sweaty hands need grip, I place them on the yoga mat and my feet (and rest of the body) go on the gorilla mat. I might have to look at weight gloves that have a grippy material on them b/c that might be a good option too.

Thus far I have used 2 pair of shoes on the mat and both of them get good traction, unlike sweaty hands. I also have noticed that the extra cushion of the mat is probably good on my joints, but it makes my shins and calves work harder to power upwards. It does seem like a solid mat and I did a Katami 4x4 workout on it and it held up well. Those workouts quickly destroy my other mats, especially with my grippy shoes, but this mat looked no worse for wear. Time will tell but so far I like it!

How about you SherBear? Did you get yours yet?

Tags
exercise mat, gorilla mat, mat, workout mat