Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-17, 11:39 AM  
cindyw75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Strangely enough, I didn't go through any withdrawal, even though we had cable for years and we don't subscribe to Netflix or Hulu or anything. There is just so much to watch on broadcast TV now (unlike 2003/2004 when there was only reality TV plus ER), I can't watch it all. Masterpiece on PBS is my favorite, but this week I watched Time After Time, The Catch and American Crime. When people find out I just have an antenna, they immediately try to get me to subscribe to something, but I watch plenty of TV as it is.
I can't go without Netflix. Their original programming is amazing. But if I had to go without Netflix, I'd want to have PBS. We also own a lot of TV shows on DVD. My daughter and I have been re-watching Marple on DVD.
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 11:57 AM  
CarlaVeg

We are on the same boat, trying to get rid of Comcast xfinity due to cost and we don't really use it much. I use netflix every night. I can careless about regular tv. My husband needs the sports channels, so we are going to try sling... we got a ROKU remote for our smart tv... we'll see how it goes. I am kid if technology challenged on that TV?Cable department LOL

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 12:21 PM  
sherry7899

Can you get regular broadcast channels through the Roku, like NBC, ABC and CBS for free? Can you combine using a Roku and an antenna?

I'm sorry for all the questions. I just find this overwhelming and confusing.

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 01:38 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Can you get regular broadcast channels through the Roku, like NBC, ABC and CBS for free? Can you combine using a Roku and an antenna?

I'm sorry for all the questions. I just find this overwhelming and confusing.

Thanks!
Sherry
I have an Amazon Fire box, not Roku. We can get some NBC shows via SlingTV on the box. We do also use an antenna to get the networks. Reception is a bit spotty--NBC never comes in--but yes, you can combine the antenna and a streaming service.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 03:41 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Pratima!

Sherry

I also want to check my current bill since we have a package deal for internet/phone/tv. I am wondering how much of a savings it will actually be if we cut cable. We have to keep internet. My DH wants to get rid of the landline, but I don't want to do that yet.

Old 03-13-17, 03:53 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, Pratima!

Sherry

I also want to check my current bill since we have a package deal for internet/phone/tv. I am wondering how much of a savings it will actually be if we cut cable. We have to keep internet. My DH wants to get rid of the landline, but I don't want to do that yet.
I got rid of cable and still have internet and landline. They were going to charge us something like $170/month for all that. Now we pay $90/month. I've been looking at the Ooma for phone service. A friend of mine has it and she says it saves her a ton of money. But again, I'd need to find out how much we'd pay.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 03-13-17, 04:03 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks! I'll check into Ooma. My DH works from home, and he doesn't think just having his cell phone would work well for that, so we will likely keep the landline.

Sherry

Old 03-13-17, 04:11 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Thanks! I'll check into Ooma. My DH works from home, and he doesn't think just having his cell phone would work well for that, so we will likely keep the landline.

Sherry
I do too and use my landline for conference calls (I do also have a work cell). The friend who told me about Ooma also works from home and said it's worked just fine for her. Working from home is also the reason I have to stick with cable internet. My company doesn't help pay for any of this, so the less $$ the better!

Old 03-13-17, 04:13 PM  
sherry7899

Pratima-same here, we pay for the internet/phone. My DH's work doesn't cover it. We are fine with that since he saves so much on not having to commute to NYC anymore.

Sherry

Old 03-13-17, 04:14 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Pratima-same here, we pay for the internet/phone. My DH's work doesn't cover it. We are fine with that since he saves so much on not having to commute to NYC anymore.

Sherry
This is true! Plus I don't have to wear work clothes and if I have a sick kid, they're just here with me, so saving more there. We are able to deduct some things (part of the electric bill, etc.) on our taxes though.

Tags
cable, canceling cable, cord cutting, internet provider