Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-17, 08:20 PM  
Carol K

I already had a TV and DVD recorder with digital tuners, so all I had to do was disconnect the coax from the cable outlet from the recorder and connect the one from the antenna. Then I did a rescan on both my TV and recorder and amazingly, it worked. My husband asked me if I was sure I didn't still have the cable connected. My Chromecast stick, I just had to plug into the TV and then download the software onto my computer and give it my Wi-Fi information. If I'm streaming with Chromecast, I can't fast-forward through commercials.
Old 03-23-17, 10:06 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Those who have gotten rid of cable, do you find it time-consuming to have to go through the steps via your new devices, to watch TV? Are you able to record and skip commercials? I haven't switched yet because I like how user-friendly the DVR's are, and how easy it is to record, rewind, etc.. I record everything so that I can FF through commercials. I would like to not have to pay the monthly box charges, though.
Setting up the Roku was easy and then you add apps and just select the program you want to watch. It does not record. Everything is on demand. With the Hulu app, you have two subscription options, with or without commercials. I opted for no commercials for a couple bucks more per month. With, commercials on Hulu, you aren't able to skip through, you have to play through them. Other apps, such as Netflix or Amazon are also on demand and there are no commercials. If you subscribe to network television apps, which I believe you still need a cable subscription for, then I believe there would still be commercials.
Old 03-24-17, 11:22 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Whoops. Wrong thread!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-17, 08:32 AM  
suegy3

I got rid of cabe September 2016 and got Slingtv. I love it! I pay $35 monthly best things I could've done. I have absolutely no problems with it. Several of my friends got rid of cable and also got sling after I raved about it and they love it.
I highly recommend it. I have the $25 package plus the special 4 pack add on for an extra $10. $35 for channels such as LMN, Hallmark, CNN, History, a&e, BET, MTV....there's nothing that I wish I had expect local channels (only fox is available in my area) and you can get an antenna for $30 to fix that.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-17, 12:09 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

After recommendation for Ooma, we switched to VOIP. No problems so far. We decided not port our old number.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17, 12:55 PM  
antbuko

There are some very helpful resources for chord cutters at https://cordcutter.plex.tv/.
Old 05-15-17, 02:38 PM  
Zenara25

Finally got faster internet. So cut the cord Using a Roku 3 to stream Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Emby and Playstation Vue. Love Playstation Vue! The $30 a month plan is just right for us. And still using our old Ooma from February 2011.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17, 04:19 PM  
Carol K

I'm still not paying a monthly fee for anything except my Internet connection. I have a digital antenna, a TV with a digital tuner, a recorder with a hard drive and two digital tuners, a wireless router and a Chromecast stick.
Old 05-15-17, 04:44 PM  
Zenara25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I'm still not paying a monthly fee for anything except my Internet connection. I have a digital antenna, a TV with a digital tuner, a recorder with a hard drive and two digital tuners, a wireless router and a Chromecast stick.
I like how you've got it setup. Sounds like an easier solution than what I have prepped. Can't convince my DH to set an OTA antenna up outside yet. Only get about 6 channels inside I do have it all set up for recording using 2 HD Homeruns connected to our computer. $80 each. Use NextPVR software to record. Free. Schedules Direct for a guide. $25 a year. MCE Buddy 2 to remove commercials. $30 one time fee. Emby to stream to our Roku's. Emby is free.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17, 04:57 PM  
Carol K

My antenna is inside on a stand between the TV and the window. I never thought it would work, but it does. I get a lot of channels, but I only watch 6 of them: CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, CW and Fox. For years I had extended basic cable, but I don't miss the cable channels now. I feel like I watch plenty of TV without cable. Even when I stream from the internet, I stream from the broadcast network websites.

Tags
cable, canceling cable, cord cutting, internet provider