Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-12, 10:40 PM  
MARIKA

Tell why I need Tapout Xtreme

I want to do it, I love Insanity need something fun, tough and not toooo long. Those who are doing or have done it, what can I expect? Is it something that you feel complete just doing it alone? Is there strength and cardio? Will I be transformed into the vision I envision?
Old 06-21-12, 11:12 PM  
muffins135

I have a new, still sealed, set for trade. In case you are interested.
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 11:20 PM  
lapis
VF Supporter

I did a rotation of Tapout and followed it as is (I wanted to incorporate additional cardio but never did ..... the only "extra" I did was do three of the Kettlebell Kickboxing videos to try them out, but only did them once.) I only did the Tapout workouts and did not follow the diet ...... at the end of my 8 weeks (did a shorter rotation as I got sick with bronchitis and only completed 8 full weeks,) the only change physically was in my abdomen .... I lost 2 inches around my belly. (I noted that this system really worked my stomach .... I lost 1" in about 6 weeks and then another 1" by the time I finished the shortened rotation.) I also had amazing energy (until I got sick) and endurance to crank out more than ever before ..... I am happy with the inch loss and will do another rotation again soon.
lapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 07:20 AM  
dela

I did not do a full rotation, I never do, but for a few weeks I followed the calendar just so I could try out most of the dvds, I still have not done a couple of them that are more "strength" focused, and I likely won't do the yoga.

I LOVE these dvds, I love the energy I get from them, I feel strong when I do them and after, and all of a sudden after a couple weeks of Tapout I'm able to do all sorts of pushups on my toes that I could not do before.

Sometimes I use the music on the dvds, but all of these work great with music off so you can listen to your own if you like to. The music in the dvds is fine.

In the few weeks I used these as my main workout, i had started noticing my mid section more, and those vertical lines were showing more.

I don't like to do a lot of add on core work, so I love how about every dvd, ends up working you core even when the focus is not on the core specifically.

I don't think working with bands is enough for me for strength (this is just my opinion and how my body responds), so I will always look to work in strength with weights along with doing these.

Good luck in your decision!
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 07:34 AM  
caligurl

neither my husband nor i cared for this set and we returned it.... we tried to slog through it but mike karpenko was beyond annoying and the workouts themselves weren't that challenging at all....

if you do buy it... make sure you have your own stronger bands and loop... the ones they send you with the program are really, really light and easy.
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 07:48 AM  
PLS

I really like these workouts! With band work these can be as TOUGH or as EASY as you choose. I have seen an improvement in my shoulder /UB strength with these .

I agree with caligurl that the Instructor is a bit over the top and the bands that come with the set are WAY to easy for me. That said I have LOTS of bands thanks to the countless sets that come with everything. I use 3-4 different strengths of bands for these workouts and I always feel challenged.

I have done an Insanity rotation and I do not find these to be Insanity tough. BUT, you can make them significantly harder by going heavy with the bands.

Another con- band set up for some of the exercises costs reps on one side but not the other, so I try to reverse starting sides each time I do the workouts. I also wish the Instructor was a little more enthusiastic WITHOUT the hard sell. He is enthusiastic but as someone else said, we have already bought the set! That said, I work hard enough to tune him out as I do with other workouts like that.

I do add other workouts on with this, but I always do that. As always with band workout if you focus on the eccentric phase as well as the concentric you will get more out of it.

So, do you NEED this? NO ;-) Do you WANT this? YES! Could it be incorporated into a rotation yes. Am I happy with my purchase YES! Do I do it every day? NO But I do alternate this with HC & Cathe strength training.

Penny
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 08:20 AM  
icebergslim

I have had my eye on this set and JNL. The reason being that my DH seems very interested in this set and anything that gets him moving I am behind it.

I do agree w/PLS, as with any exercise it depends on how much intensity you put into it. Band work, as kettlebell work, the challenge is harder bands or heavier kettlebells to challenge you.

I do understand, Caligurl not synching w/the instructor. That can be a turn off. For me, personally, I never really get into an instructor's personality because I am always focused on completing the exercise in proper form. What makes me not like a program, or workout is the flow. If it does not flow right it does not make sense to me in my mind, thus I will get frustrated and get rid of it. (which is why I mix my own stuff up, more and more)

Still got my eyes on this set, not in a hurry, but eyes on it because my DH is very interested in this program.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 09:37 AM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergslim View Post
The reason being that my DH seems very interested in this set and anything that gets him moving I am behind it.
that's why i originally bought it! even though i was full of dread and gritting my teeth over having to do them.... i did them since hubby was out there with me, too! but once he expressed he didn't like them i was soooo done (and so happy! lol!) he complained about the uneven count all the time! and neither one of us liked the whole band set up thing... i bought bodylastics spefically to do with tapout.. so we had lots of good, heavy bands to use! but sometimes you got set up time sometimes he just jumped right into it and i had to pause and rewind (grrrr!)

a lot of people do like the set (and don't mind mike)
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 09:41 AM  
katmom

Because of Mike Karpenko's behavior, I only made it through 4 weeks before I had to take a break from him. I do like the band work and I also like that the core is worked with most of the moves. However, I can now only manage a week at a time with this set. With Mike's constant promotion of the system, it is like working out in an infomercial.
Old 06-22-12, 02:51 PM  
kali1

The price has now dropped for Tapout. It's now little over $64. and some change.
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote