Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-16, 07:01 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Hip Spread Phenomenon

I'm in my late 40s and in the past year, I have gone from wearing a size 6 in shorts to a size 10. It seemed like one summer I was a 6 and then the next summer I was a 10. I kept looking at myself and didn't think I looked like I gained weight but clothes were not fitting the same from the year before. For months I have been convinced that I must have gained weight (I don't weigh myself, so I don't know if the weight has gone up). Today my mother made a comment about hips spreading in menopause and how it happened to a relative (in context, this was not a critical comment). She was not commenting about this in relation to me but it occurred to me that this is a relative that I am very similar to in body type. So I googled it and found a few articles about how some women and men's hips continue to spread as they get older.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and if anyone has been able to counteract it with weight loss? I know it is normal to gain the weight in upper stomach area but I seem to just be spreading and not gaining up there.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 11:26 PM  
videofit

The hip spread I see in older people looks like lack of muscle tone to me. Flat, wide butt that falls to the side. Work your glutes and thighs. Margaret Richard worked for me.
Old 07-22-16, 11:49 PM  
Fitstick

It's not your imagination, the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago in my mid forties. I went up one pant size and things that used to fit either don't anymore or are too tight. It's really strange. I continue my workouts but haven't found a magic bullet to get me back to my old size. It will be interesting to hear from others on this topic, it's been very frustrating for me.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 05:38 AM  
adrien_73

I have noticed this issue as well. I had to buy all new pants and I was convinced that I must have gained at least 10 pounds, but I only gained 3! I have always had big hips but now they are even bigger/wider! It's caused me a great deal of anguish since I have worked out religiously for over 20 years and now I feel I look awkward and unbalanced.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 06:19 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I had a different thing happen - I was always wide-hipped and carried my weight in the hips and thighs, with a small waist and flat abs. Then when peri started it began migrating to my middle. Despite the migration, I still need to be diligent with working out my lower body and doing mild cardio workouts like walking, elliptical and fun and easy videos to keep my midsection from ballooning. Another vote for Margaret Richard - and Pilates. Pilates does wonders for the lower body, too.

(Goes without mentioning that I've got to watch everything I eat now, too.)
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 07:26 PM  
videofit

It might be a combination of loose skin tone and gravity plus stretched ligaments or deep skin 'connectors' so any fat you had is sliding down. Have no idea, but if it is just fat, get liposuction. There is something new called Cool Sculpting but I don't know details. Check the RealSelf website for reviews.
Old 07-23-16, 07:32 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
It might be a combination of loose skin tone and gravity plus stretched ligaments or deep skin 'connectors' so any fat you had is sliding down. Have no idea, but if it is just fat, get liposuction. There is something new called Cool Sculpting but I don't know details. Check the RealSelf website for reviews.
No, this is an actual widening of the hip bones. For those that want more info, here's the article link http://www.today.com/health/no-fair-...age-2D80555717

So unfair !!
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 08:34 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I had a different thing happen - I was always wide-hipped and carried my weight in the hips and thighs, with a small waist and flat abs. Then when peri started it began migrating to my middle. Despite the migration, I still need to be diligent with working out my lower body and doing mild cardio workouts like walking, elliptical and fun and easy videos to keep my midsection from ballooning. Another vote for Margaret Richard - and Pilates. Pilates does wonders for the lower body, too.

(Goes without mentioning that I've got to watch everything I eat now, too.)
This is me, Pat! I have a tummy bulge now where I never had one before.

I also recommend Margaret and Pilates. Pilates seems to keep the tummy in control and Margaret helps to keep my lower and upper body in decent shape.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 09:11 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
No, this is an actual widening of the hip bones. For those that want more info, here's the article link http://www.today.com/health/no-fair-...age-2D80555717
Mick Jagger still has snake hips.
Old 07-24-16, 07:07 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Mick Jagger still has snake hips.
Just because there is an exception doesn't mean you discount someone's experience or the research.

To the OP: my perimenopause area is the pooch but I found my hips permanently wider after childbirth. Even when I returned to my pre-pregnancy weight. Our bodies can do odd things.