Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-16, 07:23 AM  
Jewels5

Great thread! These are all wonderful suggestions. I have learned in the last year or so especially (I turned 49 in May) how important it is to get a good night's sleep. If I get a decent amount of sleep everything else seems to fall into place, like exercise, food choices, ability to handle stress better, spending my time wisely, etc..

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 07:39 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
<snip>

Aging gracefully is, for me, a more an internal shift than any attempt to look younger than I am.
<snip>
So true.
Old 07-19-16, 07:57 AM  
Swissmom

Quote:
At 59, I hope to be aging gracefully. In addition to getting enough sleep, eating to nourish my body, and exercising to maintain strength, flexibility, balance, and endurance, I am concerned, more than ever before, with emotional, spiritual, and psychological maturity.

I have deepened my commitment to growing in my faith and my relationship to God. I have committed myself to emotional maturity, which means honoring the dignity of anyone I encounter. I have sought out a particular spiritual path within my larger faith tradition and have committed myself to that path.

Psychologically, I have committed to following through on certain dreams from my youth. During my working life, I was far too concerned with earning a living and doing my work the best I could. Now I have time for the more creative endeavors that fueled my youthful dreams.

Another issue in my psychological and emotional growth is letting go of certain dreams I have had for my life. These goals no longer serve me, and it's time to let them go. Hanging on to them has allowed these obsolete goals to eclipse those creative works for which I feel a much stronger call.

Aging gracefully is, for me, a more an internal shift than any attempt to look younger than I am. In fact, the invisibility cloak that descended on me when I stopped coloring my hair has become a great gift, a huge boon. The ability to go out in public in stealth mode has had a great humbling effect on me.
Beautifully written! Something that I aspire to. Doing the external stuff is quite fun for me, but yes, being youthful/aging gracefully is a state of mind.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 08:31 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
At 59, I hope to be aging gracefully. In addition to getting enough sleep, eating to nourish my body, and exercising to maintain strength, flexibility, balance, and endurance, I am concerned, more than ever before, with emotional, spiritual, and psychological maturity.

I have deepened my commitment to growing in my faith and my relationship to God. I have committed myself to emotional maturity, which means honoring the dignity of anyone I encounter. I have sought out a particular spiritual path within my larger faith tradition and have committed myself to that path.

Psychologically, I have committed to following through on certain dreams from my youth. During my working life, I was far too concerned with earning a living and doing my work the best I could. Now I have time for the more creative endeavors that fueled my youthful dreams.

Another issue in my psychological and emotional growth is letting go of certain dreams I have had for my life. These goals no longer serve me, and it's time to let them go. Hanging on to them has allowed these obsolete goals to eclipse those creative works for which I feel a much stronger call.

Aging gracefully is, for me, a more an internal shift than any attempt to look younger than I am. In fact, the invisibility cloak that descended on me when I stopped coloring my hair has become a great gift, a huge boon. The ability to go out in public in stealth mode has had a great humbling effect on me.
Beautifully written! So many good things in this thread. I just turned 49 this summer and am trying to just "let go" of things I can't control.

I wanted to chime in about alcohol. I really think that it takes a toll on our bodies and ages us prematurely. I recently saw a SIL of my SIL who is in treatment for alcoholism. She is younger than me but you could clearly see the effect her addiction has played on her body. We all know about smoking but tend to be more accepting of drinking.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 08:45 AM  
PhyllisG

Move it or lose it. The more you move the better you look and feel. Weights, yoga, Pilates, cardio....do something. Helps not only your body but your mind too.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 09:59 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Great thread! I love all the advice so far - thanks for sharing!!

I am blessed by having the greatest keep-young job: preschool teacher. My days are filled with little children's hugs and cuddles. They always tell me I'm pretty, and I believe them. (AND I have summers off, woo-hoo!)

Other than that, I use minimal (if any) cosmetics, stay hydrated and try not to worry. More sleep would be fantastic, if I could manage it.
Must be working because everyone says I look young for my age. (They may be lying.)
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 10:01 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 10:24 AM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

This really is a fantastic thread, I turn 60 tomorrow and facing divorce from my husband of 30 years. His mid-life crisis is really an eye-opener for me as I realize how restrictive and toxic he is and was for me. So now I can truly focus on enrichment for myself and enjoying my sons and their families, my family and new life. And yes, sleep is extremely important! Without sleep all those beauty regiments mean nothing.
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 10:27 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 10:36 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelters View Post
This really is a fantastic thread, I turn 60 tomorrow and facing divorce from my husband of 30 years. His mid-life crisis is really an eye-opener for me as I realize how restrictive and toxic he is and was for me. So now I can truly focus on enrichment for myself and enjoying my sons and their families, my family and new life. And yes, sleep is extremely important! Without sleep all those beauty regiments mean nothing.
Oh my goodness, so sorry you've had to go through all this. ((hugs))
And yes, happy birthday to you!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging old gracefully