Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-16, 08:13 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

I took the plunge on Simone France's sale and ordered the Kit for Normal/Oily skin. I got the full size kit for about what the travel kit costs - it is still spendy though! I hope it works for me....my skin isn't bad - but I feel like everything I do for it doesn't really show any improvement (sort of the way my body reacts to exercise - it isn't bad to begin w/ but nothing I do really brings forth any changes) - so maybe this new approach will work. (if not, I hope they have a return policy, LOL!)

I admit, it does seem contrary to everything that I have read about skin care....but it does get great reviews......

Take care -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 08:39 AM  
rheash92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Can someone recommend a good natural shaving cream? Thanks!
Bumping!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 08:51 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

Can someone recommend a good over the counter tooth whitening regimen?

I had been seeing my dentist 4X per year for cleanings to keep stains at bay, but two of those visits are not covered by insurance -so I'm wondering if a good OTC product can do the job for less money?

I mostly have dark stains from coffee, tea and red wine!

Thanks in advance!

Donna
Donna, recently Costco was giving out free samples of the Crest 3-D whitening strips so I tried one (I admit I was a little nervous). I was surprised I could actually see a difference in only 30 minutes of wearing them. I didn't like that the strips didn't cover all of the teeth though.

I'm curious about that oil pulling. Not sure I could do that first thing in the morning but it sounds like it's worth a try! I use Arm and Hammer Baking Soda and Peroxide toothpaste. I wonder if it has the same effect as rinsing with peroxide and water?

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 10:00 AM  
donnamp

Thanks, Julie.

I have heard good things about the oil pulling, too, but I am half afraid I'd be too lazy to do it consistently.

I may try those white strips - I really only have bad staining on my lower front bottom teeth (I am pretty sure it is coffee, tea and red wine - when I go to the dentist they are able to get the stains off, so they aren't permanent by any means) so even if it didn't cover all my teeth, I'd be happy to get these a little whiter.

I am really sensitive to toothpastes and I use Biotene which is SLS free, I believe. My DD has the same issue - all the other toothpastes burn too much.

Donna
Old 07-23-16, 01:32 PM  
DonnaMarie

Beauty Thread 2016

I will be 70 in a few months and have stuck to Dermalogic products for years. Micro cleanser, intensive eye cream and intensive moisturizer. My skin texture swears by them!
Old 07-23-16, 05:06 PM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Can someone recommend a good natural shaving cream? Thanks!
I've been shaving with goat milk soap and loving it. I first purchased it at our local farmers' market, but that family stopped selling it so I found this online. http://www.bendsoap.com/products/goa...oat-milk-soap/
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 08:45 PM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Thanks, Julie.

I have heard good things about the oil pulling, too, but I am half afraid I'd be too lazy to do it consistently.

I may try those white strips - I really only have bad staining on my lower front bottom teeth (I am pretty sure it is coffee, tea and red wine - when I go to the dentist they are able to get the stains off, so they aren't permanent by any means) so even if it didn't cover all my teeth, I'd be happy to get these a little whiter.

I am really sensitive to toothpastes and I use Biotene which is SLS free, I believe. My DD has the same issue - all the other toothpastes burn too much.

Donna
Donna, it sounds like those strips might work for you then. They've gotten good reviews. I might try that oil pulling just because I'm curious. Oh and that toothpaste I use does burn if you're not used to it. My doctor recommended it and now years later I can't use anything else!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 12:48 PM  
donnamp

Maybe I could try the Arm & Hammer every other day - that may work.....

I'm going to do some Amazon shopping and may look for those white strips....

Donna
Old 08-04-16, 04:34 PM  
Libby

Fast way to dry and fix hair

I have wavy hair that is right below my shoulders. Right now I use a blow dryer, electric hot airbrush, straightening iron and hot rollers to fix it and it's driving me crazy. I want to just cut it out but my husband loves it and everyone tells me I have nice hair. But they don't have to fix it every day. Are there any new hair drying smoothing tools on the market that you can recommend that would take a lot less time? If I don't sweat after exercising I can usually just fix it without washing it. But I'm so tired of spending time on my hair. My problem is it looks too flat on the top and in the back if I don't use hot rollers. It makes a traveling a headache. I really envy women with naturally straight hair that they can just wash and let it drip dry!
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 05:57 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I have wavy hair that is right below my shoulders. Right now I use a blow dryer, electric hot airbrush, straightening iron and hot rollers to fix it and it's driving me crazy. I want to just cut it out but my husband loves it and everyone tells me I have nice hair. But they don't have to fix it every day. Are there any new hair drying smoothing tools on the market that you can recommend that would take a lot less time? If I don't sweat after exercising I can usually just fix it without washing it. But I'm so tired of spending time on my hair. My problem is it looks too flat on the top and in the back if I don't use hot rollers. It makes a traveling a headache. I really envy women with naturally straight hair that they can just wash and let it drip dry!
Don't envy them! Curly hair is better! You know they are jealous of your hair. Ok, in all seriousness, the women I know with perfect looking straight hair also have to do a lot to make their hair look like that. So, try to work with what you have to bring out its best.

I have fine 2C/3A hair and a couple things have changed my life for hair styling:

1) Get a hair dresser that know how to cut curly/wavy hair. Preferably someone who cuts hair dry. The Devacurl chain popularized this for curly hair, but there are other hairdressers that do it...you just have to find them (mine does). A hairdresser that knows about curly hair can also teach you some styling tips. But if you get the right cut, you don't have to worry about all those flat spots. The cut just takes care of it.

2) Since I started coloring my hair with henna, I have not needed any styling products. But back in the before times, I used to use the Jessicurl system of styling products. After shampoo/conditioner, I used to first apply Confident Coils, then apply Gelebration Spray, then scrunch with a microfiber towel, then airdry.

However, it looks like their instructions are a little different now. She used to recommend that if you want to use a hairdryer, to use a sock diffuser, which does seem like a good idea. But it looks like she has a new styling system and new tools compared to what she used to sell, which might be worth a try.

3) I now use Alaffia hair products, which you can buy from stores like Whole Foods. A few online retailers like luckyvitamin.com also carry their products. I use the Revitailzing shampoo and conditioner. I have to use 3-4 times conditioner to shampoo, and airdry, but my fine curly hair is very happy. They have a curly line called Beautiful Curls which I sampled and seemed to do really well for my hair, but I haven't made the switch.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty thread, paulas choice