Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-16, 12:04 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelters View Post
Thank you, this site and my therapist have been such a comfort. I have had such wonderful VF friends tell me that I am not alone. Everyday I realize why this divorce is happening and how I can use the situation to better my life. As I said to my niece "I'm a free agent" and doing what makes me happy.
Big hugs to you.
Old 07-20-16, 01:02 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Big hugs to you.
And from me too. Better days are coming, know it!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 02:28 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I thought of this thread when I saw this video of a man doing a workout for his 106th birthday

http://www.ksat.com/news/family-cite...106th-birthday

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 02:43 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
There have been so many books on successful aging; but I think you've captured it succinctly in 5 paragraphs !!
Thanks; how lovely of you to say that! I've been thinking a lot about this topic since turning 50 so I've had 10 years to gather my thoughts. One can't predict how one will age but I am doing the best I can to take good care of myself to make my golden years truly golden.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 08:39 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I thought of this thread when I saw this video of a man doing a workout for his 106th birthday

http://www.ksat.com/news/family-cite...106th-birthday
That was sweet. Thanks for posting it.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 04:51 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I

As other people have said, my response to aging is to embrace it as a natural phase of life rather than trying to look eternally young. I have self-confidence that was sorely lacking earlier in my life. I keep up with current events, the arts and culture, and volunteer my professional services at a non-profit library. I also am growing my circle of friends because community is extremely important as one ages.
Hints on growing the circle of friends? I've recently noticed that I recreated my childhood home within my family- this is a very, very, bad thing. But. of course, realizing the need for change is the first step. So...

While it is so super important to have a good attitude and to be forward looking, we also need to process things and acknowledge and understand the hardships of life. I've been watching someone's family that is so amazingly profound in their lack of emotional communication, it has made me understand that not working through things within our families and within ourselves leaves people isolated in the long run. No one wants to listen to someone whine constantly, but in the same vein, I wouldn't want someone to feel like I wouldn't support them through their pain or that I wouldn't understand if they just howled at the world every now and then for all its injustice. see now and then
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 06:42 PM  
Aunt Famous

I just turned 48.

I love all of these suggestions -- they are outstanding -- and I have only thing to add.

As I have grown older, I have really enjoyed getting in touch with my creative side, whether through writing, sewing, knitting, painting, metalsmithing -- whatever. I find that it really enriches my life, that it calms me, and that it all feeds off the other. This has been a delightful surprise.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 07:27 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I take time every single day to count the blessings that I do have and not worry about the things I cannot change and my problems. Not saying I never worry - I just take a conscientious break from it. I also try to walk in nature every day and observe the beauty that is to be found there. It makes me smile more than frown.
Emily: Oh, earth, you're too wonderful for anyone to realize you! [...] Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?
Stage Manager: No-- Saints and poets maybe--they do some.

--Our Town, Thornton Wilder
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging old gracefully