Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-23, 09:51 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
I added some little plyo jumps to my exercise routine.

Low bone density does not always equal easy bone break.
Tanja, I think you made some good points, particularly 1) plyo jumps can be a great way to build bone density (you don't even need to do a lot!), and 2) low bone density doesn't automatically equal bone breaks - breaks are usually do to falls, so working on balance is one of the best prevention strategies!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-23, 10:07 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I feel for you on this! My first DEXA 2 years ago showed some osteopenia in my right hip. I got my second this past April, and while it still showed osteopenia, the numbers were slightly lower. Despite this, I got the exact same form letter from my doctor as last with standard (not at all personalized) recommendations. This was through my health portal, and I called him on it by writing back and asking him to confirm that the numbers had actually improved.
My right hip was a tiny bit worse and my lumbar spine was better. I'm going to message him and ask him to confirm the improvement. Thanks!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-23, 11:36 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Magnesium - Magnesium glycinate is the form I take. It has better absorption and fewer "side effects" than other forms. I use the Doctor's Best brand. It's best to start with a lower dose and then work up.

Vitamin K2 - There are several forms of Vitamin K2. Some are natural and some are synthesized. There are MK-4 and MK-7 suggested for bone health. MK-4 is the one used in Japan. I tried a supplement with MK-7 and it had side effects I didn't like.

Prunes - Prunes are at the top of the ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) food list. Even higher than blueberries and dark chocolate!

Bone Drugs - That is a person's choice. We all have to do our own research, ask the doctor for information and then go forward.

Plyo Jumps - These are excellent for bones. But, I can't do them due to some injuries. Margaret Martin suggests heel drops insted of plyos.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-23, 12:56 PM  
Kizzy

Osteoporosis info

I've been keeping an eye on this thread. I appreciate all the info that's been given.
I was diagnosed with all the "O"'s a few months back. (Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, and Osteoporosis in my back) I was in shock since I was just expecting a possible compression fracture (which I do have but very mild) from falling down our stairs!! I had a Chiropractor-Orthopedist take some x-rays and I think SHE was as shocked and depressed as I was when reviewing the x-rays. She said, "You don't look your age (66), you don't move like your age, nor do you think like your age but...your bones..." She said it so mournfully. She even called me later that night to see how I was because she knew it was devastating news. I told her as I did my doctor, "I don't FEEL that decrepit!!!!!!!!" For goodness sakes!!! I had the Dexa Scan done and my numbers were not good. I see a doctor that practices Integrative Medicine so will be taking a different route than drugs. I had blood drawn to check my 'Micronutrients' and will go from there when the results are back. She mentioned using Strontium, also Vitamin C and whatever else shows up that I may need. I already take quite a few supplements so I guess we will see.
My mother had Osteoporosis, so it does run in the family, but she led such a sedentary life, didn't exercise, ect. that I didn't even dream I would end up with it. My thyroid medication also may have contributed to the Osteoporosis. Go figure!
I wanted to let anyone who was interested in Micronutrients know there is a book out "Rebuild Your Bones" the 12-week Osteoporosis Protocol- Discover the Healing power of Micronutrients". Authors are Jayson Calton, PHD and his wife (was diagnosed with Osteoporosis at a young age) Mira Calton, CN. I have only started reading it so can't give any insights concerning it, yet. But I was excited to see it since this is one of the approaches my doctor will be taking.
I want to let you know, you are all in my thoughts and prayers as we battle this silent disease. So grateful for all of your input.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-23, 01:38 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Magnesium - Magnesium glycinate is the form I take. It has better absorption and fewer "side effects" than other forms. I use the Doctor's Best brand. It's best to start with a lower dose and then work up.

Vitamin K2 - There are several forms of Vitamin K2. Some are natural and some are synthesized. There are MK-4 and MK-7 suggested for bone health. MK-4 is the one used in Japan. I tried a supplement with MK-7 and it had side effects I didn't like.

Prunes - Prunes are at the top of the ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) food list. Even higher than blueberries and dark chocolate!

Bone Drugs - That is a person's choice. We all have to do our own research, ask the doctor for information and then go forward.

Plyo Jumps - These are excellent for bones. But, I can't do them due to some injuries. Margaret Martin suggests heel drops insted of plyos.
Thanks for the info on your experience and the link for for an alternative to plyo jumps since they are a nope for me. Personally I think prunes get a bad rap. They qualify as nature’s candy (along with figs IMHO). And you are so right that each of us needs to do our own research and don’t just go by some random social media posts to not to do this or that without anything to back it up. There’s so much out there and some is just bogus! That’s why I so appreciate links to where the info comes from so I can judge for myself and consult with my doctor.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-23, 03:51 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
I feel for you on this! My first DEXA 2 years ago showed some osteopenia in my right hip. I got my second this past April, and while it still showed osteopenia, the numbers were slightly lower. Despite this, I got the exact same form letter from my doctor as last with standard (not at all personalized) recommendations. This was through my health portal, and I called him on it by writing back and asking him to confirm that the numbers had actually improved. This seemed to fluster him, as he wrote back and even had one of his nurses call me to ask if I had "any more questions about my results."

Grrr...I know I only see him once a year, but 1) it's been many, many years, and 2) maybe take a quick look at my chart to remind yourself of my past results, what I've reported about exercise habits over the years, etc.?

Sorry Joni to hijack with my own rant.
Rant away, I’m right there with you!
Old 08-03-23, 05:38 PM  
prettyinpink

I’ve been reading more about osteoporosis and sarcopenia. I think more research needs to be done on loss of muscle mass and how improving muscle mass can prevent fractures even in those with less than optimal bone mass.

Something I find interesting is that most women with hip fractures actually don’t have bone density that is low enough to qualify as osteoporosis. It’s not as simple a thing as some DEXA scores are bad, and others are okay. It’s a correlation that might not be as directly causal as we believe. There is research into other ways to measure which of us have leg bone characteristics that have a much higher risk of fracture.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9804299/

I also wonder if there is actually much we can do to build bone once we are a certain age. We might not like this or want to believe it, but maybe the best we can do is to try to keep what we have now, and to build or keep as much muscle and balance ability as possible to prevent frailty and falls that lead to fractures. There seem to be some things that will help a little, but the time to build bone is when we are much younger, and the prevention of the most hip fractures will be targeting messages to our daughters and granddaughters about what to consume and what not to consume, about building muscle and power, rather than some of the past messages like drinking lots of milk and calcium chews and the more pop culture message of not lifting more than 3 pounds in pursuit of a certain aesthetic.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-23, 07:48 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I also wonder if there is actually much we can do to build bone once we are a certain age. We might not like this or want to believe it, but maybe the best we can do is to try to keep what we have now, and to build or keep as much muscle and balance ability as possible to prevent frailty and falls that lead to fractures.
It's true that building bone is much easier when younger and that all of those other factors you mentioned are important too. However, this ongoing study has shown that you can add bone mass when you are older - and just through yoga: https://sciatica.org/other-diagnoses/osteoporosis/

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-23, 08:43 PM  
Honeydew

Boron...and check out Dr. Jorge Flechas lectures on youtube.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-23, 09:16 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
It's true that building bone is much easier when younger and that all of those other factors you mentioned are important too. However, this ongoing study has shown that you can add bone mass when you are older - and just through yoga: https://sciatica.org/other-diagnoses/osteoporosis/
Don’t get me wrong, I’m doing what I can to do what research suggests might help my bones. But the exercise studies seem kind of mixed and not that impressive, and I don’t think there is much out there studying exercise over years that shows an increase in bone density AND that that increase in bone density resulted in fewer fractures. Some of the medications seem to have the same problem.

This yoga study doesn’t show an improvement in bone density of the hip. It’s not controlled in any way, very few submitted their DEXA results from before the study, and there isn’t any information about what else the participants were doing that might affect bone density, including medications and other exercise, if they were even asked about that.

Yoga is fantastic exercise for balance, coordination, so many other reasons, and like the article says at the end, reducing fractures is not all about bone density, anyway. There are reasons to think it might be great for our bodies, even if it isn’t clear it increases bone density. We do what we can today, even when diving into the research leads to as many questions as answers.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone building, bone loss, heel drops, osteopenia, osteoporosis, prunes