Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-19, 06:11 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
When I am "in the groove" I weigh everyday first thing AM.....when I fall off the rails I can go for months.....usually afraid to see the weight gain from overeating and not taking care of myself. When I weigh consistently the fluctuations are minor and don't concern me.

I have never been very successful at taking body measurements and prefer monitoring how my clothes fit.
This would be me, until I got rid of the scale (when I discovered that it was making my middle child feel bad about himself) and stopped weighing myself. Fast forward several years and I got to wondering just how much I might weigh. My clothes didn't fit properly and I was feeling very bloated and sluggish. I discovered that I was too short for my weight, according to BMI charts. I also discovered that my HEIGHT had SHRUNK by 1cm

Now I'm weighing myself daily for a month, as part of my plan to get healthier. I'm keeping track of my weight as well as daily steps, hours of sleep, glasses of water, minutes of exercise, and an etc. that includes nutrition data. All should add up to a healthier life. Weighing daily has shown me that my weight can go up 2 pounds overnight, even 4 lbs if my meals were high in sugar or salt, or otherwise particularly bloating, and that this weight gain might appear two days after the bloaty-meals day. My only goal is to stay within a healthy range. Right now, a downward trend is welcome.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-19, 03:59 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Great comments you guys!!!
I like to weight at least twice a week so I don't backslide too much. Heck even weighing twice a week I still backslide.

Keep up the good work girls! We all seem to battle the old weight gain. Hope you all hit your goals!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-19, 07:49 PM  
severin817

I work with coaching clients online and I have them weigh every morning so we can track how they're affected by different things like water and salt intake the previous day, their monthly cycle and carbohydrate intake.

I also have them measure their waist and body fat percentage weekly. I do find that body fat percentage isn't always easy to get accurate, at first. But really I'm looking at a downward trend over time not so much the number. Same with the weight. I do a weekly average and compare each week month over month so you can see how your cycle affects water weight gain.

Too often women get obsessive with the number when it's really just a data point. You can go to dinner at a restaurant and the next day your weight is up 3-4 pounds in water/glycogen weight and it's not fat at all. It's pretty much impossible to gain a pound of fat in a day, thank goodness.

Laura
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-19, 04:14 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by severin817 View Post

Too often women get obsessive with the number when it's really just a data point.
Which is why I really wish we (general we) would stop emphasizing "weight loss".
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-19, 10:06 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Which is why I really wish we (general we) would stop emphasizing "weight loss".
Ditto! I know I'll always weigh heavier because I lift a lot of heavy weights and as we know, muscle weighs more than fat. For me it's kind of like a safety net so I don't fall down.

I LOVE Laura's observations and comments! Well said!
Too often women get obsessive with the number when it's really just a data point. You can go to dinner at a restaurant and the next day your weight is up 3-4 pounds in water/glycogen weight and it's not fat at all. It's pretty much impossible to gain a pound of fat in a day, thank goodness.

In the end, I really just want to be strong and healthy.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-19, 11:30 AM  
BigBadBetty

I have been concentrating on losing weight since mid-March. I weigh every morning when I get up. However, I only log the weight in My Fitness Pal on Wednesday. I consider that my official weight. I will also sometimes weigh myself during the day just to see how meals, water, etc., have an effect on weight fluctuations. It makes it less shocking when you are weighed at the doctor and you see a totally different weight.

I only measure myself when ordering online for clothes.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-19, 05:35 PM  
wendug

I weigh myself a couple of times a week to make sure I'm on track and the weight doesn't creep up on me. It is so interesting how your weight can fluctuate day to day. I did a heavy weight workout yesterday and I'm a bit sore today and...I gained 2 pounds. I know it will go down in a day or so. I really don't measure myself often. Maybe at the beginning and end of a planned rotation to see what kind of measurable results I get. Really, if my clothes are getting tight that's when it's time to recheck my workouts and calories/what type of food I'm eating.

Tags
measure, measurements, weighing yourself