Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-18, 11:00 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Moving forward from healed foot fracture

About seven weeks ago, I posted that I had fractured the fifth metatarsal on my right foot and asked for workout suggestions. And I utilized some of them, so I thank you all.

A week ago Friday, I was able to get out of the boot. I was told to resume normal activities except for jumping or long walks or hikes. Unfortunately, resuming my normal activities seems to be bothering my foot. For those of you who have gone through this, do you remember how long it took for you to return to normal?

TIA
Old 04-24-18, 11:23 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I had a stress fracture in my foot back in 2013. I think it was the second metatarsal and was in the boot for two months. After I was out of the boot, I took things very slowly and was more cautious than the podiatrist recommended because a complete break of a metatarsal bone can mean surgery and I didn't see any reason to push it. I remember it did still hurt for a while when I walked or did other normal activities (more of an achy feeling). I don't remember exactly how long it took to feel 100% normal, but at least 4 months, and even after that I stayed away from any jumping or high impact exercises for about a year. I did a lot of Jessica Smith youtube videos. Like I said, I was probably being overcautious, but I just didn't want any further problems. I've been fine ever since.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 11:39 AM  
counterclockwise

Sounds like we broke the same bone. I think I wore the boot for 6 weeks, but I remember even after I stopped wearing it, I didn't run or jump for probably another month. It still felt a little sore and I didn't want to re-injure it, and after walking in boot for so long, I felt like my foot needed "breaking in" (if that makes any sense). This was last July and I plyo away now.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 11:48 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I haven't broken any bones but I've had two foot surgeries. Even though the doctor says you're cured and sends you home, you will continue to experience inflammation for a while. It can come and go for quite some time.

Your foot is also used to being cradled by the boot so it needs time to get it's "sea legs" back under it.

Be gentle, it will come back soon. Don't be surprised if wet days bother it for a while. Good luck!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 10:06 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I haven't broken any bones but I've had two foot surgeries. Even though the doctor says you're cured and sends you home, you will continue to experience inflammation for a while. It can come and go for quite some time.

Your foot is also used to being cradled by the boot so it needs time to get it's "sea legs" back under it.

Be gentle, it will come back soon. Don't be surprised if wet days bother it for a while. Good luck!
That's great advice ^^

I had surgery involving the breaking of bones and inserting a pin and screw to reattach. My inflammation came and went and I actually went back to the boot at work to cut down on it. People would make me want to kick them though when they would say, "Are you STILL in a boot?"

I think I'm a slow healer but I have no regrets babying my foot longer during the workday.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 08:10 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
About seven weeks ago, I posted that I had fractured the fifth metatarsal on my right foot and asked for workout suggestions. And I utilized some of them, so I thank you all.

A week ago Friday, I was able to get out of the boot. I was told to resume normal activities except for jumping or long walks or hikes. Unfortunately, resuming my normal activities seems to be bothering my foot. For those of you who have gone through this, do you remember how long it took for you to return to normal?

TIA
I think that is the same bone I broke. I can’t remember the exact length of time. It seemed like it took a long time. It has been many years and I still have issues if I stand or walk a long time. Wearing shoes helped. That seems to be gradually getting less but not sure if it will ever be the same. Hopefully yours won’t take this long.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-18, 12:50 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Thanks for all your replies. I was just surprised to have extra problems after I got out of the boot. I knew I wasn't supposed to jump or do much walking or hiking for another month or so, but was surprised by the swelling, which I can't see or palpate. I can feel it internally, because I have this "there's something in my shoe" feeling. And my foot went a little numb when I tried to do an easy spin on my spin bike. The doctors didn't say a thing about soft tissue swelling, so I've had to do my own online research.

I'm happy that my bone healed and I'm out of the boot, but frustrated not knowing how much longer this swelling might last. I guess I'll just have to learn patience. I'm trying to resume what I can without doing more harm and have no idea how to navigate that.

Thanks again.
Old 04-27-18, 09:16 AM  
Demeris

I broke my 4th metatarsal on my right foot about 12/13 years ago. After I got the go ahead for exercise, I did mostly T-Tapp MORE and yoga for about 3 months.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote