Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-18, 03:55 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Another new Fitbit! Versa

I got an email from Fitbit yesterday. I guess they have a new Fitbit up for preorder. It's called the Versa, & it's a replacement for the Blaze (which I have now, along with 2 Fitbit ones.) It is priced at $199--& it does everything the new Ionic does except it doesn't have an independent GPS, it has a connected GPS.

Wow, if I had bought a Ionic, I'd be mad. I don't know if the GPS is worth $100 more, I guess people who run regularly for their fitness would want it. It's not worth it to me. I am interested in getting a Versa, but I am going to wait until they (hopefully) have the bugs worked out, & I can buy an extended warranty to go along with it.

If anyone is wondering about accuracy, I find the Fitbit One to be accurate, the Blaze not so much. Unfortunately, the One was discontinued last year.

I have read several articles that say Fitbit's sales of its fitness trackers are down, which is why they are releasing trackers that are more like a smart watch.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-18, 03:59 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

I saw this yesterday. I was looking at an Apple Watch and now I saw this. Decisions.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-18, 10:45 PM  
desderata

My husband has the ionic and really likes it. The only problem is he is a distance road biker and the GPS drains the battery - it's ok for 2 hour rides, but after that the battery fades.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 07:10 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedygs View Post
I saw this yesterday. I was looking at an Apple Watch and now I saw this. Decisions.
I was looking for a fitness tracker and pretty much decided on an Apple watch and now this. Still leaning toward Apple for a couple of reasons. Fitbits that I have seen only let you charge by connecting to a PC. I saw some info about connecting to a plug in charger but it was so vague that it would discourage me from trying. Garmin at least has one that they approve that you can buy. Not sure the charging options for this one but that is one thing I would want to look into. I do like the battery life so you would only need to charge every 3-4 days. I don't know how often the Apple Watch needs to be charged.

The other reason I am leaning toward Apple is the band options. While they have some different bands for the Versa, they are all the buckle type. I'm not sure that is a big deal but I like having the different options.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 08:13 AM  
desderata

Quote:
Fitbits that I have seen only let you charge by connecting to a PC.
My husband's ionic charges with a wall charger. He leaves it on manual mode and except for long bike rides with the GPS his battery lasts him 6-7 days on average.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 08:20 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desderata View Post
My husband's ionic charges with a wall charger. He leaves it on manual mode and except for long bike rides with the GPS his battery lasts him 6-7 days on average.
That's great to know. We do have a PC but, with tablets, many don't anymore.
2009 - 312/300

- Chinese Proverb

Old 03-15-18, 08:25 AM  
Vantreesta

I have always used a wall charger to charge my Fitbits.

As far as GPS and battery life, I recently bought a Garmin Vivoactive bc my phone shuts down when I try to use it in the cold so all my MapMyRun attempts were lost. We were just snowshoeing last week and I got two days of life on the battery with about 10 hours in GPS mode. I was satisfied with this and charged before we went out on day 3. As a step tracker I feel it is just okay, but to be fair I wear it on my left wrist which is the side I heel my dog on, so it doesn't have a normal swing for our walks.

The connected GPS on my Fitbit Charge 2 has never worked right, but I don't know if that is more reflective of the device or my phone being about 4-5 yrs old.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 01:58 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I have always used a wall charger to charge my Fitbits.

As far as GPS and battery life, I recently bought a Garmin Vivoactive bc my phone shuts down when I try to use it in the cold so all my MapMyRun attempts were lost. We were just snowshoeing last week and I got two days of life on the battery with about 10 hours in GPS mode. I was satisfied with this and charged before we went out on day 3. As a step tracker I feel it is just okay, but to be fair I wear it on my left wrist which is the side I heel my dog on, so it doesn't have a normal swing for our walks.

The connected GPS on my Fitbit Charge 2 has never worked right, but I don't know if that is more reflective of the device or my phone being about 4-5 yrs old.
Is there any specific charger that you use? I have Apple and Kindle ones.
2009 - 312/300

- Chinese Proverb

Old 03-15-18, 03:05 PM  
Vantreesta

I just use a plain old USB wall charger that I bought years ago to charge my MP3 player.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 03:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Is the Versa waterproof? IIRC, the Iconic is waterproof?

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit