Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-19, 07:24 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Question When to measure? When to Weigh?

Hey all,
Quick question.....how often do you or should you measure yourself?

Also how often do you weigh yourself? I've heard SO many theories - some saying don't weigh that often because you might get discouraged. Or DO weigh often so weight doesn't sneak up?
I currently weigh myself twice a week, Tues and Fri.

I don't measure myself very often.

Thanks and TGIF!!!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 07:43 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I weigh once weekly at my WW meeting and try my best to stay off the scale at home. If I like what I see at home it can tell my internal Cookie Monster to go ahead and raid that jar.

I gave up measuring with a tape measure a few years ago. I was driving myself nuts. But, when I was getting body fat analyzed at a gym, the guy told me to do it once every four weeks.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 08:04 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I weigh myself all the time! I just find it interesting. It doesn't freak me out or discourage (or particularly encourage) me really... I'm just curious about how different conditions affect my weight... I weigh more when it's humid than when it's not, for example.

I don't measure very often because it's a hassle. I just go by how my clothes fit.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 03:09 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I weigh myself several times a week. It's more of a motivation to stay on track. I've learned to take the emotional reaction out of it. I never measure. Now THAT would be depressing (for me). I go by how my clothes fit.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 03:11 PM  
weener
VF Supporter

I measure my waist, hips and thighs the first of each month.

I weigh every morning and night. I know weight fluctuates, but it helps me stay on track.

~~~~~~~~~
I grew up as teener weener. It got shorten to weener when a nephew was learning to talk and he just called me weener.

www.flickr.com/photos/32418450@N05/
weener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-19, 07:09 AM  
Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I weigh myself all the time! I just find it interesting. It doesn't freak me out or discourage (or particularly encourage) me really... I'm just curious about how different conditions affect my weight... I weigh more when it's humid than when it's not, for example.

I don't measure very often because it's a hassle. I just go by how my clothes fit.
This. I have a scale from a Dr office in my workout room and only use it as a sort of feedback. If I'm tracking my weight, I always use it at the same time every day (first thing in am, before food etc) however, I love to see how my weight fluctuates during the day simply because it fascinates me.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 10:26 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post

Heh, you sound a bit like me here: I've always considered weight more interesting than deeply informative, I'm simply not encouraged or discouraged by my weight, and I've always found self-measuring awkward and potentially inaccurate.

Because I didn't have very convenient access to a scale for years, though, I've never weighed myself as often as you do. (I've never owned a scale.)

During my adult life until a few years ago, I weighed myself occasionally, sometimes from that curiosity and sometimes to weigh heavy luggage using a difference method. That method involves weighing myself holding the luggage and then without the luggage. (I was always weighing luggage later in the day, as the timing was always like that, and while wearing clothing. Finding my alleged "true weight" would've been more difficult. I never tried to do both things at once; I never said, "I'll weigh your luggage--but only early in the morning after I use the bathroom, before I eat or drink anything, and while not wearing any heavier clothes." )

Then my access to a scale became even more inconvenient, someone got a luggage scale around the same time, and I actually haven't weighed myself in a few years. That particular curiosity of mine is fairly mild, and it's not enough to make me want to buy a scale, for example. Even this thread hasn't caused me to try to weigh myself again.

By my teenage years, I was already more interested in body composition, which was then starting to be discussed more. Instead of weight or size, I'm more likely to look at "health numbers" and fitness indicators, both within an exercise context (can I do more than I did a week ago?) and in practical matters (can I do more in so-called real life?). I'm even thinking that these shifts in weight can be, for some people, interesting material for meditating on topics like identity and impermanance.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 08:24 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

To be clear, it's not as if I weigh myself multiple times a day, everyday. But I will hop on the scale at random times just out of curiosity.

I had my first colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago and as I was doing the (rather unpleasant) preparation for it, I weighed myself several times. It was just interesting to see how much I weighed at different stages of the fasted state, as my colon was emptying, as I was becoming more dehydrated, etc. It was like a little science experiment! I don't know how accurate my scale is, but I figure if you use the same scale, it's good enough.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 04:59 PM  
BamaTanya

Weigh: every morning before I dress or eat
Measure: the morning of the first day of each month

May be obsessive, but I do better when I keep alert to any changes . . . before they get out of hand.
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 05:26 PM  
pgun3

Weigh: every morning after I go to the potty and before I dress. I need to see that I am losing because I know the water weight fluctuates and if I weigh myself and it goes up then I know it's more then likely just water.

I try to measure 1x per week but that is more frustrating then the weighing because I can't seem to measure in the same places consistently!
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
measure, measurements, weighing yourself