Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-15, 09:15 AM  
momofcha

Buying a new car help

Well I haven't been able to actually pick what kind of car I want for many, many, many years..... I finally get that luxury. I can pick the kind, color, etc. I feel like I'm in heaven, but I'm also overwhelmed.... I have wanted as my dream car for a long time the Honda Pilot. Now they've gone and changed the body style and I'm not sure.... To add to the dilemma, we recently rented a car - Chevy Traverse and it was the most amazing ride I've been in for years! I currently have a 2005 Chevy Equinox and never thought about a Traverse.... but now I'm wondering....

A little about me - my kids are getting older - 16, 14 and 11. I definitely want the third row as an option for when we bring friends, and my daughter is a softball player so we always have a car full of chairs, coolers, bags, etc. The traverse we drove had the 4 bucket seats - which was delightful, but not absolutely necessary.

Does anyone have any tips? Does anyone have either a Pilot or Traverse that can give me pros/cons? We also have a family friend who can get us a Ford Explorer at a great deal - but I think that might be too big? I don't want a huge gas guzzler, but I know I don't want a simple small car. I like the idea of the Pilot because it's a little higher up, but not quite as big as a regular SUV....

HELP!
Thanks!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 09:30 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I am planning to get a Subaru Forester (used for me) - you might want to look at those. It seems once people drive a Subaru, they never go back. My DS got one and I fell in love with it at the first ride - and they are excellent on bad roads, if you live in a rough winter zone.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 09:36 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I am planning to get a Subaru Forester (used for me) - you might want to look at those. It seems once people drive a Subaru, they never go back. My DS got one and I fell in love with it at the first ride - and they are excellent on bad roads, if you live in a rough winter zone.
I have heard great things about Subaru - they are all such small cars....

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 11:12 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

The Forester is a small scale SUV, but I guess if you need that third row of seating it wouldn't work.

A guy at my office has a gently used Explorer and he likes it a lot. It can seat three rows of people.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 11:16 AM  
wellnesswife

I got a used Acura MDX last year & love it! The 2nd row even has heated seats! Third row stows away in back and its pretty cool looking too! Chevy may be less expensive though.
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 11:18 AM  
desie

Sounds like you need a van, they are a lot easier to get in and out of, can keep lots of items inside, and even have space for the dog on the floor. I would try one to see what its like.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 11:19 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Subaru driver here, so I'm not much help for you, though I would definitely pay attention to the gas mileage and make that a priority in your search. Mostly I wanted to say congratulations on finally getting to pick a new car!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 11:52 AM  
Fitstick

You will get lots of opinions since buying a car is very much about personal preference. I'd recommend you research the models you are interested in and take plenty of test drives. Check out consumer reviews on Edmunds.com.

If it were my decision I would choose the Honda over a Chevy based on reliability alone, but that is me. If you don't like the newest version of the Pilot, you can probably find a used one with low mileage for a better price than buying brand new.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 03:18 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
I have heard great things about Subaru - they are all such small cars....
Oh my gosh, I tested out both the Outback and the Forester and they are huge! Much bigger than they look. Sitting in the outback felt like almost being in the Suburban. I drive a Honda CRV and a Suburban (not in a year), so not driving compact cars.

And I don't really have an opinion on what to get. Honda's tend to have undersized engines and are noisy on the inside. The Pilot may be different.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 03:45 PM  
momof10

I had a Traverse for a few years, bought it brand new and when it had just over 30,000 miles the timing chain went out and I was without a car for almost a week because they had to take the whole motor out to get to the new designed timing chain that they said went out very quickly. I wasn't very happy with that car because the engine light went on all the time for so many things. I probably got a lemon. I have driven Suburbans for years and years and years because of all the kids I have and my youngest 5 boys all played hockey. We decided to go with a Traverse and felt like we didn't have enough room in it for the hockey sticks and their bags. It might work for you, though. I got another Suburban after the Traverse and drove it 4 years. I just bought a Grand Cherokee Jeep and love it more than my Suburban, but then again if you want the third seat that would be out for you. I decided to downsize from the Suburban since three of our five boys at home drive now, but there are still times we have to drive separate because we don't have that extra room the Suburban gave us. It's all worked out though. I think whatever you decide to get, you will love it. You will know when you see it and test drive it 😊😊

Cheryl