Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-15, 10:20 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Starter rebounder for an older person with mobility issues

My sister's MIL has been having a lot of trouble moving around due to knee problems, a series of surgeries (hip and knee), and excess weight. She is 71, so verging on elderly. She needs someone to drive her and has to walk with a cane, and can't walk very far. She has been going to PT, but hasn't really been making progress, although I think she hasn't been back-sliding. It is definitlly affecting her mental health, but she doesn't want to address that, so I want to suggest low-intensity steady state cardio for 20 minutes. Walking is out, and walking in the pool could be a possibility, but she needs to be driven and it becomes frustrating to her to ask. So I'm looking for something she can do at home. I want to suggest gentle rebounding for her - is it accurate that his might be a good idea?

If so, I don't know much about rebounders, what to look for and what would be good for her. I'm thinking one with a handle due to the age and mobility difficulty...is that correct? Are there other considerations? Can anyone recommend a specific rebounder good for a gentle left-right bounce for low-intensity steady state cardio purposes?

Looking around, I found this one, is $57 at Kohls and has a hand-rail, but I'm not sure if they are a good idea (not that I think its not. Those high-end Bellicon and Needak that cost hundreds of dollars might be a tough sell, however, they can afford it, so if there is a good motivation for it, I'll let her know.

Hey VF, I've read so much about rebounding here but since I've never done it, I have not idea of what would really help, so any input would be much appreciated. TIA!
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-15, 10:35 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

IMO the bungee rebounders have a much gentler bounce and they are so much quieter. Amazon stocks the basic JumpSports, they are quite a bit more expensive, but well worth it. I believe Costo online has good prices on the mid to higher level JumpSports. If you want the Mercedes of rebounders you can go for a Bellicon but that is $$$.
Here is a link to the base JS: http://www.amazon.com/JumpSport-Fitn...port+rebounder I have one and I love it, use it almost daily.
EDIT I believe there is a balance bar for the JS, but it would be extra.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 01:15 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
IMO the bungee rebounders have a much gentler bounce and they are so much quieter. Amazon stocks the basic JumpSports, they are quite a bit more expensive, but well worth it. I believe Costo online has good prices on the mid to higher level JumpSports. If you want the Mercedes of rebounders you can go for a Bellicon but that is $$$.
Here is a link to the base JS: http://www.amazon.com/JumpSport-Fitn...port+rebounder I have one and I love it, use it almost daily.
EDIT I believe there is a balance bar for the JS, but it would be extra.
http://www.jumpsport.com/Handle-for-Fitness-Trampoline

The other thing to consider is some sort of step or stool next to it, otherwise getting on and off could be tricky.

On the plus side of getting a bungee (rather than one of the harder models), is that she can start out just sitting on it and bouncing and still get benefits from it.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 08:21 AM  
mamma1st

I've had a Needak for many years, and I thought it was great (except for how loud it was), until yesterday when my Bellicon arrived! I can't even put in to words how much I love my Bellicon. They are super expensive, but worth it!

And if you talk to the Bellicon representative, they will most likely give you a discount. I didn't get much, but they did take $30 off the shipping charge for me.
mamma1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 08:37 AM  
Sollamyn

Please discuss it with her physical therapist before she tries rebounding. I have a knee issue and my physical therapist has told me not to do rebounding or treadmill walking, and I believed him because I had done a little rebounding on my own prior to asking about it, and I was in so much pain afterward! People seem to think that because rebounding is low-non-impact, that it is safe for everyone, but it is not. If she has knee and hip issues, you really should talk with a professional.

I hope she finds something she can do safely and happily!

Donna
Old 06-25-15, 08:38 AM  
BunnyHop

Double check that they're actually going to be able to use a rebounder.

A friend of mine has had partial knee replacements, and bouncing is not part of her fitness plan. (She uses other equipment, not sure what)
Old 06-25-15, 09:04 AM  
seww

She has mobility problems? I think a rebounder might make it too easy for her to fall. What does the MIL want? It's nice of you to offer help but I think I'd find out what her goals are. It sounds like a chair workout might be a better option.
Sue
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 09:06 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Double check that they're actually going to be able to use a rebounder.

A friend of mine has had partial knee replacements, and bouncing is not part of her fitness plan. (She uses other equipment, not sure what)
Same with MIL, who had a hip replacement.
Old 06-25-15, 10:09 AM  
in paris

^ You all are right!

For bad knees,actually, the best thing is an exercise bike (make sure it has light enough resistance)... Maybe a recumbent?
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 10:19 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
^ You all are right!

For bad knees,actually, the best thing is an exercise bike (make sure it has light enough resistance)... Maybe a recumbent?
Not always so. I have a cranky knee from patellofemoral syndrome, and cycling is quite painful for me. Rebounding is fine. But I agree it's a good idea to check with her doctor and/or physio

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote