Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-15, 11:41 AM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
Same with MIL, who had a hip replacement.
I had a total hip replacement 8 months ago and used my rebounder for my physical therapy. I average 35,000 steps a day on my rebounder not counting all the other workouts I do on it. My surgeon said rebounding can be done with hip replacements and highly recommended it for my recovery. 😊😊

Cheryl
Old 06-25-15, 01:44 PM  
rosepetals

I have mobility issues due to multiple sclerosis. It makes my legs weak, the balance off. In addition my knees are bad due to being a freestyle skater as a child. All the jumps and spins took their toll. The MS has weakened the ankle ligaments, so it gets twisted often. My foot has plantar fasciitis.

My Bellicone is a life-saver. It's gentle so it doesn't hurt my joints. A inexpensive rebounder is not made with the same quality. I used to use a Walmart rebounder and later a Urban Rebounder. The walmart one was too hard to jump on. It really hurt the joints. The Urban rebounder was better, but not as safe. The bounce was too hard and I tended to bounce off of it.

In contrast having a 44" Bellicone helps my balance on the rebounder. The softer surface area is refreshing to the joints. I mostly do the health bounce. I don't have the workout bars as I can place my rebounder by the wall and closet. It offers support when I bounce. The handles would be very helpful in getting up and down off the rebounder.

I would encourage you to invest in a higher quality rebounder as the less expensive ones hurt the joints. There is a big difference in quality.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 06:36 PM  
horsemom2

With all of her ailments, I think chair walking is a better start for her. Pretty much any cardio can be done sitting. If her balance improves enough, she can try sitting on a large stability ball instead of a chair.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 06:49 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
With all of her ailments, I think chair walking is a better start for her. Pretty much any cardio can be done sitting. If her balance improves enough, she can try sitting on a large stability ball instead of a chair.

Barb S
I agree Barb. Chair walking then progress to a stability ball.

I would also suggest the chair dancing workouts - http://www.chairdancing.com/

or one of the sit and be fit DVDS - http://www.sitandbefit.org/products_store
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 09:32 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I agree with y'all that the PT should be involved in working out a plan. I also wasn't sure about rebounding, even though it would be low impact. Also, we all have different bodies, as we can even see in this thread (and my experiences included.)

Yogapam, InParis: Good to know that the bungee style would work better. Also, thanks for the input on the Jumpsport. I'll pass it on. Also, I don't know about my sister's MIL, but I might be getting one soon.

Mamma1st, Cheryl and Rosepetals: Thanks for sharing your positive experiences with rebounding (and suggestions about products.) I will pass it on.

Seww, HorseMom and Donna D: Those are great ideas too. I was thinking about suggesting T-Tapp More Chair, but thought they might be put off by the price point, and well the T-Tapp of it all (Or she might be into it...who knows? .) All of those suggestions would be more accessible. And I don't know why I didn't think of sitting on a ball.

---------------------------------------
I guess what I'm actually looking for is something that she can do that will give 20 minutes of steady-state cardio. The purpose is for mental health benefits. She was recently diagnosed with depression but isn't willing to get on medication or pursue mental health options, which is why I suggested this. I'm also recommending she do an MBSR program, because I think it will address the pain as well as the depression. She has been going through this for years, and it sounds like the PT hasn't made any suggestion along these lines, so I'm hoping to give her some ideas to bring to the PT to move along the possibility (if they approve.)

Sounds like rebounding might or might not be an option, cycling might or might not be an option. Does anyone have any thoughts about elliptical? Or any other ideas to pass on?
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 10:11 PM  
bfit

You could look at some of the senior workouts that often have chair or very beginner options. Safe and Strong and and also Safe and Fit with Cindy Kozecek are good. Safe and Strong shows someone doing the entire workout in a chair, but I don't think Safe and Fit has a chair option. Susan Tuttle also some chair workouts for seniors. You said that walking was out, but could she do a very easy Leslie Sansone workout? Leslie calls it "walking" but it's really marching.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 05:08 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

I was checking out the today's special from myfitnessdvds.com and there's an 'obegone' dvd for the specia - some looked a little fast (with the skinnier instructo)but there's a heavyset woman doing some of the exercises- bed, chair, standing - not sure how they use the modifier but she doesn't show up a whole lot in the preview..might be worth a look - toning and looks like aerobic type in the chair...
Old 06-27-15, 01:17 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Bfit: Thanks for the senior workout rec's. I'm not sure if Leslie is too much or not, but I could pass it on and let her decide.

Smith938: Those could be interesting. I'll pass it on.

------------------

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'll pass it on. I think if nothing else, it will help for her to have some new ideas. And who knows, we might have a vidiot in the making.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 08:15 AM  
Bebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post

Barb S
Please talk with her PT first. Barb is our VF rebounder expert.

The rebounder is a not a rehab tool per se. It has an unsteady surface and is really designed to minimize impact. Anyone that is unsteady on their feet could fall and that would create more problems.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote