Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-15, 06:09 PM  
alisoncooks

That moment when you realize...

...that you're not as fit as you used to be.

Or as young as you used to be.

*sigh*

I took the girls to an introductory (aka: free) martial arts class in a studio that just opened in our town. Since it was just us, I figured I'd participate.

Everything was fun -- punching things is cool! Then the instructor had us run and kick a heavy bag thing and...bam. I don't know if my kneecap popped out of place or what, but MAN! The pain! (I was on the floor clutching my knee, trying to play it off a bit so I wouldn't look like the Fat Mom that threw out her knee.)

*double sigh*

I did sit out for the rest of the class...and now I'm looking forward to icing the knee after the kiddos are in bed. It's not hurting so much right now, but if I do any sort of sideways motion or turn my foot out/in at all while standing, my knee gives out.

I know I'm out of shape -- this was not news, LOL. But I didn't realize I would break myself just doing simple movements. (Where's that roll-eyes smiley when ya need it...)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 06:22 PM  
fatkat555

Oh, NO! I think it's less of being out of shape and more of doing something you're not used to doing anymore at full speed. At least that's my theory anyway. Seriously, though, ice, ice, ice. If not better in the morning, it's time to visit the doctor.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 06:25 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Oh, NO! I think it's less of being out of shape and more of doing something you're not used to doing anymore at full speed. At least that's my theory anyway. Seriously, though, ice, ice, ice. If not better in the morning, it's time to visit the doctor.
Yeah...I'm fearing a ligament tear. Hopefully not, but it doesn't bode well that it keeps giving out on me. Also need to dig out my old ACE bandage, maybe?

I'm definitely going to be icing it once a have a minute (DH is at work and I've got dinner going for the kiddos).
Old 11-09-15, 06:27 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Oh no!! I hope you didn't tear anything. Wishing you a speedy recovery. I agree to see a doctor if it doesn't heal soon.
Old 11-09-15, 06:49 PM  
bubbles76

I'm so sorry for you hon! I hope it's not as serious as you think
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 06:54 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I'm so sorry for you hon! I hope it's not as serious as you think
Me too!
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 07:21 PM  
Donna D

wishing you a speedy recovery Allison!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 08:58 PM  
TinaT

I am right there with ya. I did something to my left shoulder during a workout and man is it taking it's time to heal.

I hope you heal quickly.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 10:19 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I'm sorry that you were injured, and I hope you heal quickly. I don't think it's about your condition or your age---it sounds like it was the nature of the movement that was the culprit.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 10:38 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I don't think it's about your condition or your age---it sounds like it was the nature of the movement that was the culprit.
Perhaps.
It would've been wise of me to remember I am *not* Karate Kid.

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone.
I put ice on it while I watched the Downton series finale so at least I made good use of my time.