Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-16, 10:53 PM  
Cafelattee

What happens to your body when you stop working out

http://www.health.com/fitness/stop-exercising-effects

I bookmarked this article as a reminder for those days I really want to skip a workout
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-16, 10:04 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Looks like a very informative article! Thanks for sharing!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-16, 10:15 AM  
Lannette

Articles like that give me pause because so many people in our "if some is good more is better" society use them as an excuse for overtraining.

THIS is the other side of the coin. It's pretty long but can be scanned quickly.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-16, 10:33 AM  
bubbles76

I already know what happens to my body when I stop working out -- I get the opportunity to do workouts I haven't done in awhile I get to "shop" my collection and set new goals. I get to recharge. I have all my life to start and restart. Sometimes it can be a pain, but I'm going to focus on the positive. September severely derailed me with some performance goals I had, but I can either pout about it or pick up a little further back than where I left off.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-16, 10:34 AM  
Cafelattee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Articles like that give me pause because so many people in our "if some is good more is better" society use them as an excuse for overtraining.

THIS is the other side of the coin. It's pretty long but can be scanned quickly.
I overtrained/ didn't cross train and running ruin my ankles. I move everyday but somedays it might be a Cathe to the max and others its a 3 mile walk. I also will skip a workout if I haven't had enough sleep. I also consider power yoga a workout and do an hour a week.

So I like the idea its just about moving doing something each day
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-16, 10:35 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I already know what happens to my body when I stop working out -- I get the opportunity to do workouts I haven't done in awhile I get to "shop" my collection and set new goals. I get to recharge. I have all my life to start and restart. Sometimes it can be a pain, but I'm going to focus on the positive. September severely derailed me with some performance goals I had, but I can either pout about it or pick up a little further back than where I left off.
I love your attitude Bubbles!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 10-30-16, 10:43 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post

Lannette,

Thanks for posting this. It is exactly what I thought of when I read the article posted above. Nothing wrong with sharing that perspective for sure, but MY problem is the opposite. I struggle to take rest days. I know I need them, but am very unhappy when I have to. I get lectures all the time from my fitness buddies about doing too much. Working out is my joy, so not doing it is so hard for me.
Old 10-30-16, 10:56 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafelattee View Post
I overtrained/ didn't cross train and running ruin my ankles. I move everyday but somedays it might be a Cathe to the max and others its a 3 mile walk. I also will skip a workout if I haven't had enough sleep. I also consider power yoga a workout and do an hour a week.

So I like the idea its just about moving doing something each day
I like to move every day too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Lannette,

Thanks for posting this. It is exactly what I thought of when I read the article posted above. Nothing wrong with sharing that perspective for sure, but MY problem is the opposite. I struggle to take rest days. I know I need them, but am very unhappy when I have to. I get lectures all the time from my fitness buddies about doing too much. Working out is my joy, so not doing it is so hard for me.
Just want to point out that the only reason overtraining is on my radar is because I excelled at it in my younger days. Jeanne Marie, I so understand your struggle. I can definitely be the same way.

Old 10-30-16, 11:04 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
... MY problem is the opposite. I struggle to take rest days. I know I need them, but am very unhappy when I have to. I get lectures all the time from my fitness buddies about doing too much. Working out is my joy, so not doing it is so hard for me.
Ditto. I have had to learn the hard way that I MUST REST! I move on rest days, but nothing strenuous. There's a big difference between not working out for a few days and still moving around, stretching, etc. and sitting on your bottom all day for years on end. I'd love to see talk of fitness move more fluidly within the spectrum of activity/movement, rather than gravitating to extremes.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-16, 11:55 AM  
laurajhawk

I think it's interesting that the effects mentioned in the original article start to be noticeable at 10 days to 2 weeks. This is NOT an argument against rest days or even rest weeks! It's motivation not to let a day become a week become 3 weeks ...

Years ago I was a sporadic exerciser. I'd work out pretty regularly for months and then quit for months. I always journaled my workouts, and one day I decided to analyze the pattern (I'm an engineer). What I discovered was that if I quit for a few days up to about 10 days, I came back and exercised as regularly as ever. If I quit for 2 weeks then I didn't come back (until months went by, I felt fat/lazy/bored/whatever, I made a new resolution & restarted etc.).

That fits with the OP's article because according to that, you're likely to feel a decrease in endurance in about 2 weeks, and that's going to make workouts harder. It's going to increase the dread of even thinking about working out and for me, that leads to a long hiatus. So *for me*, it's key not to let any rest period go that long without doing at least gentle workouts.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, overtraining