Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-16, 08:13 AM  
cttx31

Running app that lets me decide when to run

I know there are a ton of running apps out there, but I can't find what I need. I want one that lets me decide when I'm running and when I'm walking, not one that tells me when to walk or run. I want one that basically has a button to press when I start running, and one to press when I start walking, etc and I can choose my own intervals then it tells me the total distance/time I spent running and the distance spend walking. Any apps like that?

ETA Not where I pre-select my own intervals before the run, I want to run and walk as I please during the workout, and the intervals will be different.

Carol
cttx31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 01:44 PM  
PrairieGem

I don't do third party apps (not enough memory on my phone), but DH uses the stopwatch on his phone all the time when he runs. He ran up to me one day afterward, all excited b/c he'd discovered the "Lap" function--the stopwatch keeps running, but you hit the lap button, and it records your time, and keeps a list of how long each lap was. We run in a big ol' park, not a track, so it's 100% up to him on any given day what he decides constitutes a lap. If you mentally change "lap" for "interval," you'd have the same effect.

It can't track mileage, though (don't know how any app could?); maybe there's a pedometer out there that does the same thing?
Old 04-28-16, 03:38 PM  
Raineth
VF Supporter

It's not exactly what you want, but maybe RunTime would work? And, of course, you may not have an iPhone!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/runt...718633921?mt=8

You set the pace and it maps your walk/run. Time spent walking is highlighted yellow, while normal activity is highlighted orange.
Raineth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 02:20 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Runkeeper might do what you want. You don't tell it when you're running or walking though, it will use your phone's GPS to determine your pace and distance.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 02:26 PM  
andtckrtoo

MapMyRun would fit the bill. You run/walk or whatever when you want to. You can do intervals and it will record them and the speeds, but not tell you when or how to do them. Although you can set intervals and ask that specific times you run at least a specific speed - it will then tell you when you are not. It has a website and an app. I can even just hit "Start" from my Apple Watch.