Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-14, 07:41 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

Onnit Mace Workout - Substitution

I receive Mark de Grasse's Onnit Academy emails and he had this mace workout for the Goddess in all of us. I checked it out and thought it is a great workout to use my 12 lb. BodyBar, you know the one that stands in the corner of the closet waiting for you to pull it out. Granted I am a bit out of shape from the weekend and the one day stomach bug but it kicked my behind. Plus it was fun to do. I managed to do 3 rounds, got to work up to 5 rounds.

Check it out and pull out the BodyBar if you still have it.

Warrior Workout
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 07:52 PM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelters View Post
I receive Mark de Grasse's Onnit Academy emails and he had this mace workout for the Goddess in all of us. I checked it out and thought it is a great workout to use my 12 lb. BodyBar, you know the one that stands in the corner of the closet waiting for you to pull it out. Granted I am a bit out of shape from the weekend and the one day stomach bug but it kicked by behind. Plus it was fun to do.

Check it out and pull out the BodyBar if you still have it.

Warrior Workout

Good call! I have the 9 pound and 18 pound closet dwellers I have been enjoying these Onnit emails and workout ideas a lot!
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 04:50 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

After watching a mace workout or two, I caved and bought one. The workouts look like so much fun! I plan to try one this weekend.

Whoa! I was surprised at the difference in handling between a mace and a bodybar. I get the lightest, the 10#, and it feels like 8 of the 10 pounds are at one end. But a bodybar is a perfect substitution. I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy.

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 05:47 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Can you re-link me to the Warrior workout? It's broken when I click it.
I want a Mace! The clubs are not that expensive either.
Also, is Onnit still selling Mark's workout dvds?
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 08:31 AM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

I re-link the Warrior workout and it works now. I would love to get a mace but if I buy one more fitness accessory my DH will blow a major artery. I checked out the prices for the Maces and they are doable. But how do I conceal that in my closet. Besides I get to use my Bodybars.

MariaW
Old 05-28-14, 08:49 AM  
sciencelady

I'm thinking this would work with a sledgehammer lying around in the garage too.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 11:24 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Sledgehammer is BRILLIANT! The mace might be too long for me.
I checked Amazon. They have 3.3 lbs, 8 etc.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 06:13 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I tried the Warrior Workout with my Onnit steel mace - wow! I couldn't do all the reps and sets (I did a sandbag circuit as my "workout" first.) I really liked using the mace; and it showed some imbalances in my body. For instance, my left arm is strongest with moves below my shoulder, but on presses my left arm is significantly weaker than my right. Fun times.

It was a fun 45 minutes, doing this Sandbag Workout, then practice with the steel mace Warrior Workout, then some kettlebell swings.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
Old 05-30-14, 08:53 AM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

FirmDancer you are really fit! The Sandbag workout is not just tough but fun, then mace workout and swings. High fives from me. I also found this Mace workout that looks tough check it out.

MMA Strength & Endurance
Old 05-31-14, 05:51 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelters View Post
I also found this Mace workout that looks tough check it out.

MMA Strength & Endurance
Thank you so much! I came home Friday dragging and didn't want to do anything. When I started watching that clip, it looked like so much fun. So I did it, 2 rounds. It was very fun. I did find out though that I can't do the barbarian squats exactly as they do it - I whack my ceiling with the mace

The mace and sandbag workouts are perfect for the outdoors.

-Anita

Current Rotations:

Tags
mace, onnit