Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-10, 11:18 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Your thoughts on KCM's LIFT

HI all,

This morning I did Kelly Coffey's new LIFT workout. I did both the Olympic Lifting and the PowerSculpt. I haven't decided how well I like this dvd yet. I wanted to do both workouts even though they are both very different.

The Olympic lifting was different variations of cleans, jerks and presses. It's kind of hard to explain. Kelly uses a 35 lb barbell but there is one backgrounder that uses dumbells which I did. You kind of build up to full clean/jerk/presses by doing just one part of the exercise at a time. It really fries the shoulders. Lots of repetition with heavier weights.

PowerSculpt was all compound exercises using one or two dumbells. Lots of variation and lots of good compound moves that didn't bug me too much. Even some good standing core work. The whole body is worked and it pretty much goes non-stop which leads to some cardio effect. I used 10 lbs dumbells but could have gone heavier for some exercises and lighter on others.

Kelly herself is great! VERY smiley, working just as hard, no goofy sayings, and very well cued with modifications shown. Looking forward to trying Circuit Burn on Wed.

I know I'll have to do it again to make up my mind. It was challenging, but not killer. Sometimes the pace seemed a bit fast, but I liked the raise in HR.

Has anyone else tried this dvd yet? What are your thoughts?

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 11:37 AM  
bearcatfan

Can you believe I just haven't gotten around to these yet?

I'm in an Amy Bento mood, and am alternating her cardio with Slo-Mo. I did happen to pop this in to preview this afternoon. I'm not sure what I think, because I don't really like compound moves. Never say never, though, so I might not be in the right frame of mind to appreciate these yet.

I am more interested in Circuit Burn but, again, I'm focused elsewhere right now. What I saw of Circuit Burn I liked, including the music. When I get on a Kelly kick again, they will likely be the first ones I try!
Old 08-09-10, 11:47 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I liked Powersculpt better than Circuit Burn, but I did one of the premixes on CB, so maybe that was part of it. Have not yet tried the olympic lifting yet, and not sure I will, to be honest. I have too many other workouts I like. I did really like the non-stop action in Powersculpt!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 11:50 AM  
counterclockwise

Here's an earlier thread in case you haven't seen it. I still haven't tried the OL workout b/c I know I will need to practice for a while first. I saw you mentioned you weren't sure what you think - was it just the pace you didn't like sometimes?

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...hlight=l.i.f.t
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 12:53 PM  
mtnmom

I've done both halves of Circuit Burn and also have done Powersculpt. I really enjoyed Powersculpt because it continuously moved, had pumping music, and liked the more core-focused transition moves.

I liked the second half of Circuit Burn better than the first half - it didn't wipe me out as much for some reason. I'm happy with the variety in it (both halves). The music was just "there", not good or bad. I'm going to have to play with my poundage to find the magic number for these workouts. For Circuit Burn, I used 6# and 9#. For Powersculpt, I used 5# and 8# but think I could have gone higher (although the punch-down/punch-out move was burning my arms with the 5's).

I'm not eager to try Olympic Lifting, as it seems more like a tutorial than a workout to me. I know I will though, someday.
Old 08-09-10, 03:38 PM  
Fitstick

I tried Powersculpting this morning and I really enjoyed it. I am not sure what to think about Olympic Lifting and will have to watch the tutorial first... I also tried one of the premixes in Circuit Burn and enjoyed that as well.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 04:10 PM  
dela

Hi all, new to the boards and new to Kelly. I really enjoyed powersculpt, I did it after Turbo Fire HIIT 20 instead of the TF Sculpt, I enjoyed it so much I ordered 2 more of Kelly's weight workouts that day. I liked the non stop moves, I used 8's and 5's, but need to go heavier next time, I was thinking I would feel a little soreness the day after, but did not.

I went through the Olympic tutorial, but I think it's tough to get a feel for the lifts using light weight. I am curious to give it a shot.

I have my cardio plate full with the TF rotation, so it may be a while before I get around to Circuit Burn.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 04:43 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I liked PowerSculpt from LIFT, but have not tried Olympic Lifting just yet. I'm another person who just has too many DVDs, and have a hard time focusing on any one thing.

I did both workouts on Circuit Burn and liked them as well.

Kelly is great in this new series. I really like her attitude, her cueing, her presence in front of the camera!

I also like that my heartrate gets up there with cardio/weight combos, and the workouts are challenging (depending on the weight used) but not insanely tough. These are solid intermediate/advanced workouts!

Usually with workouts that have compound moves, I go much lighter in weight to begin with, until I'm familiar with the moves. Some of them, you can't go too heavy because of the speed of the workout.

I think I will use both workouts in a rotation of some kind, and glad to have them in my collection.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 05:39 PM  
alisoncooks

I preordered both Circuit Burn and Powersculpt, but I couldn't wait to get rid of them. For one, I just could not STAND the new set. Call me shallow or whatever, but it was just too jumbled/cluttered for me and I had a hard time picking someone to watch. Two, I just realized that I prefer not to mix my cardio and strength (a realization that has nothing to do with KCM, b/c she's great, but did have a determining factor on whether or not I wanted to keep these).

However.....while I didn't *love* these, I said in a thread (maybe this one, LOL, who knows) that Powersculpt gave me back DOMS (like I get from the waist work in Squeeze Stronger) and saddlebag DOMS (my major trouble area, BTW...maybe I should've kept that one.)

I had no desire to even preview LIFT....so I didn't.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 08:34 PM  
Buffgirl

Olympic lifting

I did Olympic lifting on Saturday, I watched the tutorial first, is doable I used a barbell with 29 pounds. It is different so it gave me doms all over, but is actually easier than it looks.

I did Cardio/Boxing pre-mix after it.Love that pre-mix.

Powersculpt is in for tomorrow!

I am loving this series.
Buffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 minutes to fitness, circuit burn, kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer, l.i.f.t, lift, weights