Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-10, 03:21 PM  
Brit-Josie
VF Supporter

Question about Kelly Coffey-Meyer

Hi everyone,

I mainly use Cathe for cardio and some weights work and have done for quite some time, but I think now is time for a bit of a change (well, I'm hoping a change is as good as a rest and all that!) - are KCM's workouts comparable in terms of effectiveness and intensity? I've bought a few of her dvds and have only done one so far which was her second step kickboxing - however I wasn't feeling very well when I did it so had to modify quite bit.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!
Josie
Brit-Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 06:15 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I Kelly! I think her workouts are terrific! What I particularly like is that you can make them as hard or as easy as you need to based on either the weight you choose or the level of the move you choose to do. This makes them incredibly versatile to me.

The only issue you may have is that most of her workouts are the 30 Minutes to Fitness fill in the blank. So in comparison to most of Cathe's workouts, these will be shorter. What Kelly does do in most of the workouts is to include some premixes that combine the workouts in some way to make them longer. I personally haven't done the premixes and I've heard that some of them are poorly put together. But they're there!

My personal favorites are Cardio Blast, Bootcamp, the Body Training!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 06:26 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I agree with Dutch girl. I love KCM and agree you can easily modify her workouts up by using heavier weights. She adds interesting twists to standard weight lifting moves without being too "creative."

I started with Kelly when I got sick of Cathe. I like her 30 minutes to fitness Weights and do the premixes to make it a total body workout since I don't care for doing splits. She has premixes on this one that are 31- 42 minutes. It is always a sweatfest! I also really like her bootcamp workout. The kickboxing one is not intense enough for me cardio wise. I don't do Muscle Definition much only because I don't care for dragging out my step but it is a good workout. Body Training is pretty good but not terribly intense- I will save it for travel or when I don't feel like using any equipment. I have her Cardio Blast one on a temp trade and like it enough to buy it- love the premixes that combine the step and plyo. The plyo section alone is too much impact for me but when it is mixed up with step it works great for me.

I Love her Cardio Kick Step boxing- so much fun! I also have NYC which is a solid lower weight higher rep workout that's a burner. Don't do it much because it requires a step.

Some of Kelly's offerings are available on netflix so you can check them out that way.

Leslie
oops I see you live in the UK..you may not have netflix over there..
BTW my FIL was born in Warrington.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 06:28 PM  
JEWEL659

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
I Kelly! I think her workouts are terrific! What I particularly like is that you can make them as hard or as easy as you need to based on either the weight you choose or the level of the move you choose to do. This makes them incredibly versatile to me.

The only issue you may have is that most of her workouts are the 30 Minutes to Fitness fill in the blank. So in comparison to most of Cathe's workouts, these will be shorter. What Kelly does do in most of the workouts is to include some premixes that combine the workouts in some way to make them longer. I personally haven't done the premixes and I've heard that some of them are poorly put together. But they're there!

My personal favorites are Cardio Blast, Bootcamp, the Body Training!
I agree with dutchgirl. Kelly is great! I always use the modifyer for high impact moves because of my ankle problems. I feel like Kelly is right in front me pushing me to work hard. You would get the "Cathe" feel if you use all the intensity boosts and use the longer mixes. The only thing I do not like about the premixes are that they are not edited correctly. It allows you to view a move too long (that should not be included in the premix) before it goes to the next scene. For example, the other day, I was doing a NYC upper body premix, when it showed a lower body exercise long enough to do a rep or two.
Overall, Kelly is fantastic.
Old 01-20-10, 05:19 PM  
Brit-Josie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I agree with Dutch girl. I love KCM and agree you can easily modify her workouts up by using heavier weights. She adds interesting twists to standard weight lifting moves without being too "creative."

I started with Kelly when I got sick of Cathe. I like her 30 minutes to fitness Weights and do the premixes to make it a total body workout since I don't care for doing splits. She has a premixes that are 31- 42 minutes. It is always a sweatfest! I also really like her bootcamp workout. The kickboxing one is not intense enough for me cardio wise. I don't do Muscle Definition much only because I don't care for dragging out my step but it is a good workout. Body Training is pretty good but not terribly intense- I will save it for travel or when I don't feel like using any equipment. I have her Cardio Blast one on a temp trade and like it enough to buy it- love the premixes that combine the step and plyo. The plyo section alone is too much impact for me but when it is mixed up with step it works great for me.

I Love her Cardio Kick Step boxing- so much fun! I also have NYC which is a solid lower weight higher rep workout that's a burner. Don't do it much because it requires a step.

Some of Kelly's offerings are available on netflix so you can check them out that way.

Leslie
oops I see you live in the UK..you may not have netflix over there..
BTW my FIL was born in Warrington.
Warrington - yes that's not too far from me - just about 30 miles away!

Thanks for the views on KCM - most appreciated. It sounds like she is just what I need right now - I've been finding that I want to work out less than 45 mins per session lately and feeling that Cathe's workouts are just that little bit too long for me at times.

So far, I've purchased the 2 step kickboxing dvds, the bootcamp, the weights workout and cardio blast - sounds like I've got some good ones to try out!
Old 01-20-10, 10:55 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Josie: Yes I think you have the best of the bunch although her first step boxing one moved WAY too fast for me. Please post and tell us what you think after you get to try them.
Also, if you have any questions if you post them on Kelly's forum she will answer them. She is a real doll!

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 10:59 PM  
Fitstick

I use Kelly's workouts more than Cathe's now -- and Cathe used to be my #1 choice. I highly recommend all of her workouts!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 12:55 AM  
RedPanda

Another Kelly fan here! She has such an engaging personality, looks fantastic and is sooo fit

I only have two of her DVDs - 30 Minutes to Fitness Kickboxing and 30 Minutes to Fitness Cardio Blast. The kickboxing DVD has lots of fresh moves, and the athletic step workout on the Cardio Blast DVD is great for non-dancey types like me. Both these DVDs have lots of premixes, so they are good value for money.
Old 01-21-10, 09:57 AM  
mtnmom

Bootcamp, Kickbox, and NYC were my most-used workouts in 2009!

I also got a lot of use from the cardio premix on Cardio-Sculpt Fitness, and the 2-set total body premix on 30 Minutes to Fitness (Weights).

As far as her cueing for cardio, I didn't have problems with Kickbox and Cardio Blast. Her earlier workouts like the Step-Boxing workout you did, and Ready, Step, Go! are really cued on the fly. But they are total sweat-inducers once you get them down.
Old 01-21-10, 02:55 PM  
Brit-Josie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Josie: Yes I think you have the best of the bunch although her first step boxing one moved WAY too fast for me. Please post and tell us what you think after you get to try them.
Also, if you have any questions if you post them on Kelly's forum she will answer them. She is a real doll!

Leslie
Hi Leslie - yes I'll certainly post my thoughts! I didn't know Kelly had a forum - I'll certainly check that out also!

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer