Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-16, 09:59 PM  
muggle

I've had a Polar for years. I like to see what my heart does during a wkout. I got a new Polar A300 about 6 months ago. I love seeing the graphs, charts and other info. I don't wear it to bed anymore because I know I get crappy sleep. Not obsessed really, just intrigued. If I get an "inactivity" stamp....I really don't give a sh#$.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 01:32 AM  
Alan

I didn't buy my Fitbit Charge HR but I really like it for the resting heartrate feature. I use that to gauge whether I need to take a few days off, as elevated resting heartrate is usually a sign of overtraining. It used to be fun to track movement but I pretty much ignore that feature nowadays.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 05:04 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I like having a simple pedometer. That does motivate me. Not necessarily to get more steps in a particular day. But if I see that I have several days in a row with only 5-6,000 steps, then I make time to get moving.

Anything beyond a simple pedometer is aggravating to me - whether too much cost or too much technology. That's just me ...
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 05:22 AM  
IceQueen07

I got a Fitbit One not too long ago. Used it for a bit, decided not worth it and wanted to return it not realizing it only had a 30 day return policy. Now it just sits there until I can figure out how to sell it.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 06:15 AM  
muddjeansgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Nope. I'm on my 2nd Fitbit in the past 5 years and I like it a lot. I monitor my steps and floors daily, but I'm not obsessed by it. My Fitbit is just a tool that gives me an idea of how much I move throughout the day but I don't obsess if I don't get 10K steps a day. That said, I strive to achieve the 10K / 20 floors daily, but if I don't, that's OK too.

ETA: I'm not competitive by nature. I only do what I want to do and don't worry about the rest.

Me too.
I had a Fitbit and now I have a Garmin. I like to check out my steps but seeing as how it barely records any steps in my barre classes where I am working my ass off, I definitely don't stress about the steps.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 06:20 AM  
PhyllisG

This was an interesting thread for me. I have been debating a fitness tracker but when I saw how much they cost even on Groupon I decided against it.
Now I have been thinking about a simple pedometer. Glad to hear others still use them. Like the idea of picking up the pace if you notice you haven't been getting your steps in rather than obsessing over each and every day.

A pet peeve. Pedometers are fine and relatively inexpensive. So lets make it more complicated and expensive...that being the operative word expensive.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 06:33 AM  
donnamp

I got mine free through my work's wellness program - it is a low tech one and that is all I need. I never wanted to get one before b/c I was afraid I would become obsessed with it. But, fortunately, that hasn't happened. I use it for informational purposes but I don't pay all that much mind to the number of steps I get each day. Our wellness program rewards us w/ actual cash that we can claim as gift cards, so I use mine to fund my fitness purchases. We get a certain number of "points" for hitting 7K steps each day - which I am generally able to meet or exceed. We get extra points for going over 10K or 12K (I can't remember which).

I don't worry too much about the numbers, though, b/c it doesn't count activity such a strength training, flexibility, yoga, barre, etc. and that is important to do as well for a well rounded fitness program. I did like seeing that I am more active than I thought, though, in terms of moving around. It did show me that every little bit adds up and even a day of doing housework can get you a decent amount of activity.

It is a nice tool to have so long as you keep in mind that 'steps' are just one part of your overall fitness picture and that it is not worth mental or physical torture to achieve a certain number each day. I can see how some people may push themselves too hard to achieve a certain number of steps each day and end up injured. One of my co-workers got injured by doing too much to achieve more steps each day - she ended up seeing an ortho for a knee issue due too much stair climbing - she would climb our stairs in the office several times a day to get her steps and active minutes in.

Like w/ everything in life, you need balance and you need to pay attention to how you feel physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 06:35 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Um, I kinda got tired of wearing mine Every time I get a "gadget" I end up regretting it. It's just another gimmick. It doesn't change what I do on a daily basis.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 06:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I have no regrets. I log my workouts every day, including my steps, and it motivates me to move more throughout the day.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 07:07 AM  
schoolgirl-01

i regretted all of them. i've own Fitbit, Body Media, Misfit, Jawbone, and then back to Fitbit.

then my Polar Heart Rate Monitor had to be replaced so i got the M400 which counts steps but is really a heart rate monitor and considered all activity when reaching your activity goal.

with the trackers i would do my normal workouts - kettlebell, yoga, spinning, stairmaster, weights, pilates, barre, etc.

the trackers never really counted any of those things so then i would walk for 2 hours on the treadmill to reach my step goal.

it was completely running me into the ground.

the best thing that ever happened to me was my heart rate monitor having to be replaced.

i will never wear another tracker again. i'm thrilled with my Polar HRM/Tracker M400 - i wear when i'm exercising, it catches all my activity intensity since its an accurate HRM and when i'm done exercising i don't have to wear it because i've already met my activity goals for the day.

i can relax & recover without guilt of having to walk for 2 hrs to reach some silly step goal.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fit bit, fitbit, fitness trackers, pedometer, pedometers