Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-16, 06:57 PM  
bubbles76

30 minute workouts are enough for me, although 45 minute workouts are the best. For me, it's all about the pace, intensity, and whether I'm having fun. I'm much better at eating well balanced meals than I am at working out. I'm even getting my sweet tooth under control KBKB Scorcher workouts are around 45 minutes, and I definitely feel it! If the weights are heavy enough and the pace is sane enough, then I can get in a good strength workout in 30 minutes. I like split routines. I just turned 40 two months ago though, so this all could change. I LIKE working out for an hour a day, but I just don't have the time.

Hmmm...are you including warm ups and cool downs? If so, I definitely tend more towards 45 minutes. I always stretch for at least 10 minutes after a workout, no matter how long or short the workout. And I have to have my warm up.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 07:07 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

30 to 45 minutes max of "formal"exercise most days is enough for me nowadays. I just try to keep active during the rest of the day. By formal exercise, I don't mean killing myself with intensity anymore and it works for me. The only results I'm looking for is to be healthy, feel good, and stay mobile and flexible.
Old 05-20-16, 08:25 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
30 to 45 minutes max of "formal"exercise most days is enough for me nowadays. I just try to keep active during the rest of the day. By formal exercise, I don't mean killing myself with intensity anymore and it works for me. The only results I'm looking for is to be healthy, feel good, and stay mobile and flexible.
Dana - what you said is what I was thinking. My goals are the same and I have been trying to be more active throughout the day - taking walk breaks at work and also trying to get an extra walk or stretch in during the evening. For me, it is all about food intake. And, that is my next 'project'. I don't need to lose weight, but I do need to eat better. My intensity level for workouts is definitely moderate, I may throw in something harder once in awhile, but it isn't a steady diet of high intensity by any means. I do a lot of walking, Jessica Smith, "old fashioned" step, etc. for cardio and lately my strength has been Pilates or CS/Essentrics or some light barre/fusion.

Oh - and yes, there does seem to be a correlation between sleep deprivation and weight gain.

Helen - I have been going through bouts of insomnia. The good part is, I catch up on my reading, the bad part is, I'm not up for a terribly tough morning workout. I need to keep it lighter. Did you see Michelle from Faithful workouts sent out a workout calendar? I may follow it mixing it w/ my CS/Essentrics and Pilates. Sometimes I just need that positive message as I at times struggle w/ moods (and it isn't helpful that we have had out of 20 days of may maybe 2 days of sun....)

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 01:02 AM  
videofit

The more intensely you exercise, the less time you need. HIIT for example.
Old 05-21-16, 06:48 AM  
TinaS

30 minute workouts aren't enough for me to "see results". By that I mean to get/stay lean and toned. For me, a big part of that is my age (54,) activity level, and the number of calories I eat. Other than my workouts, I am pretty sedentary. I work full time at a desk job. If I moved more throughout the day, I think I could cut back on the time I spend working out without seeing a noticeable difference. I am finding that about 1 hour a day 6 days a week is what I need to do. Unfortunately!

"Don't be Defeated!" ~~ Cathe
"I know it's hard. But, do it. Please. ~~ Sylwia
"Nothing comes easy. It's always a fight. ~~ Cathe
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 07:08 AM  
ellaenchanted

No, 30 minutes is not enough for me. I have to pair them with walking or with lots of daily activity. I do best with longer, moderate intensity workouts. Even just increasing the time to 45 minutes makes all the difference. I do enjoy 30 minute formats because I can match them with a Leslie or Jessica mile for a 45 minute workout. For example, I love Fe Fit because it gets a lot done, and I have plenty of energy for another 15 or even 30 minute add on.

In terms of weight and fitness maintenance, I find that monitoring my steps really helps. I have to regularly get 8k-10k. Since I exercise, I don't mind not hitting 10k sinc eI know that certain movements (squats, kicks) don't get registered but I am being active. If I were not doing formal workouts, I would probably need to be at 10K daily.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 07:20 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

I am convinced that having a handle on the eating side of the equation is the only way some people will actually "see" their results.

I think most muscles can be toned and strengthed with consistent 30 min workouts, however...you will not be able to "see" that muscle tone if you are carrying extra fat.

I am not doing dedicated "cardio" workouts at all anymore. I walk/hike with my dogs and use all of my workout time for strength and yoga.

This is plenty for me, and I feel like I am in great shape for someone who is 51.

I am as lean as I have ever been in my life, but that is a direct result of the way I eat. I overhauled the way I eat last Dec. My eating changes (no dairy, sugar or gluten) weren't driven by a desire to "see results"or lose weight... they were because I wasn't feeling so great and I wanted to see if changing my diet could help in some way.

I feel like a new person, but if I were someone looking for "results" I would say that the esthetic results most people go for did happen as a result of changing my diet.

I don't think another 30min of exercise could contribute to "seeing results" in the way a change in diet will.

JMHO

Edited to add that I probably workout 4-5 days a week for an hour, plus walking dogs 5 days a week for an hour or so.
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 07:32 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
30 minute workouts are enough for me, although 45 minute workouts are the best.
I feel like 45 minutes is the sweet spot for me. Not so much for 'results,' whatever that may mean, but enjoyment, comprehensiveness and feasibility. In a 30 minute workout, I don't really feel like I've done as much as I'd like. Workouts that claim to get everything done in 30 minutes often feel a bit rushed to me. An hour is often a little too difficult to fit in. A 45 minute video, however, is my Goldilocks!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 07:35 AM  
Alan

30 minutes a day is likely good enough to increase your strength, flexibility, and stamina. However, that will probably not be enough to lose weight if you are sedentary for the other 23.5 hours of the day and don't watch what you eat.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 08:14 AM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I agree that the activity level for the rest of the day plays a part in all of it. I know that I am not active enough for the rest of the day simply because of time. I would love to walk every day in addition to my other workouts. Thanks for all of the replies! So excited for summer when I will have a little more time to get some extra activity in!

Tags
30 minute workouts, duration and frequency