Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-14, 01:38 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Hi all - are there any video-clips available? Thanks.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 01:40 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Nevermind - I found it:
http://www.udaya.com/shop/product-ca...your-practice/

They're available on Kinecticflix.com, btw

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 02:10 PM  
mj476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I did the first 30 minutes of Core this evening. The teaching tip for this disc explains how to do a triangle head stand. I tried it like Vytas explains and I actually could do it with my knees balanced on my arms. It feels pretty similar to crow/crane to me. His version continues on with raising your legs straight up and then progressing to toe taps by bending at your hips and bringing straight legs down to the floor and then back up again repeating. That's going to be a very long stretch for me! I'll be pretty pleased with myself if it I can just get my legs straight up.

Kim
Kim - This sounds like either tripod headstand which you can do from a wide leg forward bend (Prasarita Padottanasana A) or bound headstand (Mukta Hasta Sirsasana A) where you clasp your hands together and your head rests in your hands. Either way, engaging your core is the secret to getting up into headstand, it's not in the legs. If your head comes down while bending forward in a wide legged forward bend, then position your arms so they form a triangle (tripod) with your head, engage the pelvic floor (like a kegel exercise) (mula bandha) and uddiyana bandha (about an inch or two below your navel) and lift your legs using your core. Do not try to jump or hop into it, it is total core work.

Bound headstand is also lifting the legs using the core. Reach both hands around opposite elbows, then interlock your fingers and bring your wrists apart, placing the back of your head against your hands. Walk your feet in to your head as far as possible. Try and lift both legs together. Lifting one at a time tends to throw you off balance. In either headstand, make sure you are balancing on the crown of the head, not too far forward on the forehead. Engage the muscles of your shoulder girdle and your arms firmly to balance.

Marcy
Old 04-16-14, 08:14 PM  
Mickey12

Thanks for the tips, Marcy. Those headstand poses just seem so scary to try. I think I'll need my husband around to catch me if I get off balance! I'm really enjoying these practices from Vytas and I definitely have work to do to get to the next level.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 08:23 PM  
Mickey12

Tonight I did gentle balanced flow. It's 61 minutes of really nice stretches. Vytas uses more "yoga speak" in this one than in his other classes, but really not much. He doesn't hold any poses that require even a little strength for very long. Towards the end of the practice, at around the 45 minute mark, he starts to hold the stretch poses longer and it gets more yin like. He allows you to pick your favorite hip stretch and the class demonstrates double pigeon, single leg pigeon and lying pigeon. It's a really nice, well balanced practice on days when you're tired or just need a break.

Kim
Old 04-21-14, 07:36 AM  
kariev34

anymore reviews on this set?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 08:20 AM  
Mickey12

Kariev,

I did the inversions practice the other day. It's 53 minutes. The teaching tips section on this disc is quite a bit longer than the others as Vytas really explains thoroughly how to get into headstands and handstands. He recommends only doing headstands once during a practice, but handstands can be done multiple times throughout a practice.

The practice itself is really good. He gives a lot of encouragement and when the inversion poses come up, he wants you to at least TRY the pose, not just watch if you feel you can't achieve the full pose. In trying to get into a handstand, the closest thing I can relate it to is doing donkey kicks - although in reality, the actual pose is not like a donkey kick at all. (Cathe does donkey kicks over a step and I think Jillian does them in one or two of her workouts).

I really felt it in my shoulders the next day. Even though the practice has advanced poses, I didn't feel defeated. I felt like it was achievable and I gave it my best shot.

Kim
Old 04-21-14, 08:25 AM  
Mickey12

I did intermediate balanced flow short and sweet last night. It's 22 minutes. It's Vytas alone doing the poses with voice over.

It has a good mix of strength and stretch poses and is a little harder than gentle balanced flow short and sweet which is only stretch poses. I expect that advanced balanced flow short and sweet will be more on the strength side than the stretch side.

As with the gentle short and sweet, the poses move quickly, not held too long. I think if it was just a little bit longer (maybe 30 minutes) it would feel better. It's good for a quick add on.

Kim
Old 04-21-14, 09:00 AM  
Maybelle

Quick question if you don't mind: Does Vytas talk pretty much non-stop or does he have some quiet times during his instruction? I haven't been able to tell from the clips and info I've seen.
thank you!
Maybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 09:13 AM  
Mickey12

Maybelle,

I think Vytas talks a lot. Talking doesn't bother me since what he says is about form pointers. He's very good about getting you to get the most out of the pose. He uses very little "yoga speak".

What I noticed was how little he talks in the gentle balanced flow practice. Most of that class is stretches and as the practice progresses, he holds the poses longer. It became evident during this class how much silent time there was. If you know Travis or Eion, they speaks a lot too, but what they say has to do with mind body connection. Vytas is more straightforward, no nonsense. I hope that helps.

Kim

Tags
deepen your practice, udaya.com, vytas, vytas baskauskas