Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-10, 10:45 AM  
laurajhawk

(1) Does anyone do Olympic Lifting with dumbbells? How well does that work? I don't really want to get my barbells back out.
(2) The wrists bending backward sounds bad for me - I had wrist problems last year and need to be careful. Does the modification Nyx suggested work? Maybe using dumbbells would help with that?

Like I need another DVD. But I'm getting tempted. Love the idea of the 17-minute mix.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 10:47 AM  
andtckrtoo

I don't understand why she bends her wrists back like that. I've done clean and presses with a barbell - not Olympic style, granted, but I have done them - and I have never needed to do that to move the weight. Maybe it's just the Olympic way?
andtckrtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 10:58 AM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I don't understand why she bends her wrists back like that. I've done clean and presses with a barbell - not Olympic style, granted, but I have done them - and I have never needed to do that to move the weight. Maybe it's just the Olympic way?
Okay, don't quote me on this, half the time I don't know what I'm talking about anyway... I think it's because when you get the bar to the "clean" position, where it is at your collarbone, it should be resting on the front of your shoulders and they should be bearing the weight of the bar. If you don't bend your wrists, the bar's weight is on your arms (you should also be holding your elbows out in front of you). When you transition to the "press", where the bar is above your head, and you switch to straight wrists, you'd be working your forearms way more than you should. My forearms are a little sore today and I think it's because I would sometimes default to the straight wrist position. My hammies and nicely sore too, but that's a good thing.

You could always go to Kelly's forum and ask her. She's very good about responding to questions. And by the way, she's asking for input for her next couple of DVDs. Right now the consensus is for a 2-day split (upper body/lower body) in the 30-minute format.
Old 08-19-10, 11:41 AM  
counterclockwise

I asked Kelly on FB about not doing the whole barbell on the shoulders w/the wrists bent back, and she basically said I needed to do it if I were going to go heavy, but I didn't have to if I went light. I would copy the reply but I think we're not supposed to do that (you can check out her FB page and see what she said though). I tried some of the moves w/wrists straight and barbell not on shoulders anyway w/a 30 lb. barbell, and it felt fine. But then again I didn't try the whole workout that heavy. Maybe it would be different.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 11:45 AM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
Okay, don't quote me on this, half the time I don't know what I'm talking about anyway... I think it's because when you get the bar to the "clean" position, where it is at your collarbone, it should be resting on the front of your shoulders and they should be bearing the weight of the bar. If you don't bend your wrists, the bar's weight is on your arms (you should also be holding your elbows out in front of you).
Yeah, the only way I can get it on my shoulders is to really bring the elbows up and bend my wrists back. The weight is on my shoulders, but unfortunately that position for the wrists just hurts for me. Kelly said I could try working on my flexibility, or try gloves w/wrist wraps? I am not even sure what those are.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 04:50 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
(1) Does anyone do Olympic Lifting with dumbbells? How well does that work? I don't really want to get my barbells back out.
(2) The wrists bending backward sounds bad for me - I had wrist problems last year and need to be careful. Does the modification Nyx suggested work? Maybe using dumbbells would help with that?

Like I need another DVD. But I'm getting tempted. Love the idea of the 17-minute mix.
I have a barbell, but used two 15 lb dumbells for Olympic LIfting and it worked great for me! I just really watched my form, and made sure my wrists were straight. Got a great workout from it.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 07:03 PM  
sammycakes

In NROL4W, they have you do the same thing with your wrists.
sammycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 10:14 PM  
tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I think it is, because the girl who does the PINK series (Olympic lifting) does it too. She is a competitive lifter and has her coach and another lifter in the workouts (who does it too), so I assume she knows her stuff. I just can't remember her name for anything right now!
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 10:27 PM  
andtckrtoo

I love these forums! You learn something new every day!
andtckrtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 09:15 AM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycakes View Post
In NROL4W, they have you do the same thing with your wrists.
I was thinking this, too. You'll see it in FBB as well for front barbell squats, for which I found having the bar rest across my shoulders with arms crossed more comfortable, but now I'm regretting doing that because I didn't strengthen my wrists and practice this position for LIFT.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 minutes to fitness, circuit burn, kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer, l.i.f.t, lift, weights