Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-09, 04:57 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Cathe Weighted Vest

Well, there's a reason I never watch QVC . . . I'm easily swayed into buying things.

So I clicked on the link for the weighted vest she was showing on QVC today and although I have NEVER wanted one before, on QVC it just looked like something I have to own. But then the segment was over and I started thinking, m"Will I really use this?". I did some research of past posts and I see that most people use it for walking or doing leg workouts. I don't feel like I need it for leg workouts and I don't walk, I run. But, sometimes I want to do low impact cardio and I have a hard time getting my HR up to the zone. Could I wear the vest while doing a workout like Low Max ? Does anyone use the vest for something other than walking and leg workouts? I'm really more interested in using it to increase the intensity of my cardio. Bad idea? Good idea???

Thanks,

Lauren
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:23 PM  
PhyllisG

Ha! That is exactly how I felt--never wanted the weighted vest and all of a sudden I am thinking about ordering it. I had to get a grip and rethink what I was doing. The vest, I believe, is good for walking and for leg workouts and not for any other cardio such as step, rebounding or running. Somewhere I think I remember Cathe mentioning this.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 07:35 PM  
JP44

I use mine for lower body work so I don't have to hold heavier dumbbells or hoist as heavy of a barbell over my head. Pairing it w/ a loose makeshift weighted belt made of ankle weights, I'm "wearing" 20 lbs that I don't have to hold or hoist. Sorry, I wouldn't wear it walking outside--I still think I'd look weird. It also strains my upper traps if I wear it longer than 15 - 20 min.

Joan (JP44)
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 05:20 AM  
Terry

Before you order that, check out the vest that is available at Walmart to see if you like it just as well. The Walmart vest might be cheaper. I think it's either a Joe Weider vest (based on me thinking I saw that name on the box) or else a Gold's Gym vest (based on my memory of the box looking like the box my Gold's Gym jump rope was in when I got it from Walmart.)
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 05:41 AM  
PhyllisG

Walmart was also selling Cathe's weighted vest at a better price with no shipping as you can pick it up at your nearest Walmart. If only they would sell her bands which are $20 but her site lists shipping at $10 and I live in NYS. I want them but cannot justify those shipping charges.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 06:07 AM  
Rhonda

On QVC they are saying it is a 10 lb adjustable vest. I don't see anywhere you can take out the weights? Also is it washable with all the weight in it?

I actually didn't think Cathe's was adjustable.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 06:17 AM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Before you order that, check out the vest that is available at Walmart to see if you like it just as well. The Walmart vest might be cheaper. I think it's either a Joe Weider vest (based on me thinking I saw that name on the box) or else a Gold's Gym vest (based on my memory of the box looking like the box my Gold's Gym jump rope was in when I got it from Walmart.)

Walmart definitely has the Cathe vest online: Cathe Vest online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
On QVC they are saying it is a 10 lb adjustable vest. I don't see anywhere you can take out the weights? Also is it washable with all the weight in it?

I actually didn't think Cathe's was adjustable.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Rhonda
I think they meant adjustable in fit (to fit all sizes) rather then adjustable weights

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 08:36 AM  
lioness

I was thinking of getting the vest as well but I'm not sure 10 pounds is heavy enough. I wouldn't use it for walking but I would use it for lower body and other workouts like step ups, walking lunges, pull ups and push ups.

When I took a fitness boot camp class people would wear one for the entire workout which often included running.
lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 08:45 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

The other one Walmart sells that's similar to the Cathe vest is a Gold's Gym brand (but also made by Altus who makes Cathe's vest). It's the EXACT same thing but weighs 12 lbs.

I bought it and use it to add more weight to lower body work. It's really comfortable and it's been a good purchase for me. HTH.

Kathy G
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 09:42 AM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
The other one Walmart sells that's similar to the Cathe vest is a Gold's Gym brand (but also made by Altus who makes Cathe's vest). It's the EXACT same thing but weighs 12 lbs.

I bought it and use it to add more weight to lower body work. It's really comfortable and it's been a good purchase for me. HTH.

Kathy G
Thanks, this helps alot because I was looking at this vest this past weekend and wondering how similar it is to Cathe's. I recall it being around $35 for 12 pounds.

Tags
weighted vest, cathe friedrich