Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-22, 10:48 AM  
cyana

Happy Week-end! Did the usual farmers market run this AM. Got some eggs and chicken, lots of lettuce (spring mix, several red varieties and some broccoli sprouts), carrots, bell peppers, apples, cabbage and drum roll - fresh turmeric and fresh baby ginger from the Food Goddess.

Speaking of The Food Goddess, she has a wholesale account with Frontier and is going to do one last order before she hangs up her hat at the end of the year. She's offered to get some things for me. Anyone have any Frontier favorites? I love Frontier and use lots of their products, and I'd like to take advantage of this opportunity.

I was happy to see ETV is rolling out a series of short desk practices. I can definitely find 15 minutes for a fitness break.

Pat - I think the wonky hips of the world joined together via siren song, as mine has been rather cantankerous the past 2 days. I agree that COVID is being used as a convenient excuse for far too many things. Hopefully you didn't pick up any cooties at urgent care. Have you received your new washing machine yet? I'd been wondering if The Queen has made her regal entrance.

Sandra - Wow, hard to believe that your grandniece is already 7! When you, Pam and Paine discuss the ages of the wee ones - who aren't very wee any more - I marvel at how the years have flown by. I'm impressed that you were able to get your feet measured at SAS. It seems those things we took for granted in years past - like routinely having our feet measured prior to buying shoes - hardly exist today. Are you going to try the Body Pump class?

Beth - Hope you enjoy your new shoes. I'm such a Princess and the Pea when it comes to shoes (as I've noted many times over the years) and have multiple pairs of shoes in my closet that I never wear. I thought those flats were interesting - especially the nice arch support. I've also wondered if the little elastic inserts back near the heel reduce the risk of heel slippage. With the rounded toe, I'd hope there's plenty of room for the toes to wiggle and spread out. Thanks for linking another balance/weights practice from Amy.

Paine
- LOL on your functional fitness through chasing the trash trucks! My toes love shoes with a spacious toe box. I was watching a YT video from Baker Creek Rare Seeds earlier. It was highlighting some of their favorites for the upcoming 2023 growing season. There was a tomato - Indigo Blue Chocolate - that looked really interesting. Loaded with anthocyanidins. I used to start flowers and veggies from seed in an earlier, less complicated life. I'd like to get back to that. When I went out to water my plants yesterday, I discovered a little strawberry. That was a fun surprise.

Pam - I went to the SeniorShape YT channel to browse her selection. She has a boatload of videos, and I really appreciate the shorter length - most appear to be 30 minutes or less with a number in the 10 minute range. What sort of loop do you have for lower body? I have the Cathe bands and recently my ancient Spri broke and I don't think they make the exact one that I had. It was perfect to use when I'm sitting at the desk or to pop on while I'm a conference call and standing up. Here's a link to one on Amazon that looks similar: https://www.amazon.com/SPRI-Xering-R...5&sr=8-30&th=1 . I had a yellow tube. Not sure how that compares to green or red (definitely not the most challenging, but good for high reps). The vendor is a reseller that has Closeouts in their name, so I wonder if these are old, discontinued items. It's sort of pricey, especially if it's older and possibly with a shorter lifespan. I may need to check out a different style that is currently in production.

Waves to ALL Mat Mavens and anyone who might be peeking in.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-22, 11:17 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, I like Frontier Organic Italian Seasoning (I use it in my homemade split-pea soup).
I had to google "Indigo Blue Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes" and wow, there are so many fruit/veggie varieties that I have never seen or heard about!
I like to hear about your gardening. I don't have a green thumb and my fear/aversion to spiders/insects keeps me away from gardening.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-22, 12:56 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: This morning at the gym I did my usual lower body weight machines plus a couple for back and abs. Followed that with 25 minutes on the stationary bike plus a Hydromassage. When I got home I figured since I was already sweaty I might as well get in upper body work, so I did the Upper Body routine from Jessica Smith's Split Session Strength. Feeling nice and worked out!

[QUOTE=Paine;2981052]Yesterday my 3 year old grandson wanted to follow the trash trucks picking up trash/recycle in our neighborhood and we ended up walking 2 miles just from chasing trash trucks!

Paine: That I just too funny!

Cyana: I am indeed thinking about the Body Pump class at the gym, since I know I'll be able to adjust my weights down as needed. Since the instructor of my Gold class also teaches Body Pump I may get her input on that.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-22, 12:39 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Friday:
~10 min walking on rebounder
~Calf/foot exercises & stretches
~SeniorShape: Full Body Strength on the Mat - Another good one, longer at 39 min https://youtu.be/NiEvPcZ0Dig
~Long stretch with supported yin poses

Saturday:
~ETV: Lauren’s PM Release, first 15 min standing
~SeniorShape: 10 min Abs & Core
~Calf/foot exercises & stretches

Cyana - Yes the ETV desk series looks interesting! I met the newest member of the ETV team, Katia Sanon, at live training a few years ago. She is lovely. I have a variety of resistance loops. I prefer the cloth ones as they won’t snap and break like the rubber ones. Mine are similar to these: https://www.amazon.ca/Squeeze-Fabric...%2C193&sr=8-53

Sandra - You’ll have to let us know how you like the Body Pump class. And that hydro massage sounds wonderful!

Beth - I hope you enjoy your new shoes! I think $140 for two pairs of good quality shoes is pretty good TBH, especially with one pair being boots.

Paine - I’m glad you enjoyed the SS workout!

Pat - So sorry to hear about your hip diagnosis. I hope you are able to rest over the weekend. (((Hugs)))

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-22, 08:04 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts:
~SeniorShape: Pilates Flow - Another good one, perfect for a recovery day. https://youtu.be/hCF9slyzFic
~calf/foot exercises & stretches
~long hip, leg, QL focused stretch

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 11-07-22, 09:15 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi everyone, just popping in to give myself some motivation. Complete rest was actually fun for the first few days but I'm getting antsy. Tomorrow is my ortho appointment, and I took today and tomorrow off with the plans of going back Wednesday.

Pam, it looks like you're enjoying the Senior Shape channel - thank you for providing some commentary on your favorites.

Sandra you're having so much fun at the new gym, it was a good investment for you!

Cyana, I never heard of Frontier before. I'm a Penzey's addict though. Our Queen has been here a few weeks and we love her! She's so quiet I have to listen at the basement stairs and clothes come out cleaner and fluffier some how, not quite sure what that magic is. Good luck with your cranky hip.

Paine, I'm imagining a walking video of you and your grandson following the garbage trucks, like one of Lucy's walks in Paris or London. Fun way to burn calories and the best fitness partner.

Good morning Beth and everyone! Make it a great day.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-22, 09:23 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, glad you have been liking Senior Shape! I know I was wary given the name of the channel, but I think many of her workouts are pretty challenging, even those labeled "senior" and "beginner." RE the shoes, I wouldn't think the price was too much if they were leather - it's the paying more for materials that aren't good that gets to me. On the other hand, I'm wearing the shoes today and they are comfortable, so that's big plus!!!

Pat, good luck tomorrow! I'm sure it's frustrating going through all that.

Paine, you find a lot of interesting foods out there!

Sandra, your new gym sounds so good, it's making me want to join!

cyana, hope you like the balance routines if you get a chance to try them. I think I have almost the same Spri band you linked to, although mine is red.

I forgot that I signed up to sub a yoga class tonight. I wanted to help out, but it really throws a wrench in my own workout schedule teaching 2 nights in a row.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-22, 10:36 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith's Gentle Yoga Plus Pilates (Floor practice)
Part of Jackies Essentrics class (had problems signing in to Zoom)

Yesterday was a rest day.

Pam, I like those cloth resistance bands that you gave a link to. I think they would be less likely to break.

Pat, you would laugh if you saw me and my grandson RUN down the street to catch up to a trash truck that had just turned the corner to go up that street. I hate running so I'm cussing in my mind whenever we run. It's even more aversive when we have to run up a steep hill. All of the men who drive the trash trucks wave vigorously to my grandson--it's cute to see.
I love Penzeys Spices too!

Sandra, hearing about your gym makes me want to go to a gym and try it out (but I know I'd hate driving there).
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-22, 01:48 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

No formal workout yesterday but did get in a nice 1.5-hour outdoor walk.

Today's Workout: Basically a repeat of Saturday -- I did lower body and core weight machines at the gym followed by 25 minutes on a stationary bike, then after I got home I knocked out the Upper Body routine from Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 3.

Definitely feeling good so far about my gym membership! This morning I was talking with one of the lead instructors, who told us they are definitely looking into adding in more classes including maybe Pilates or various types of yoga. Hoping some of those get added during the day, since I don't want to drive to/from the gym when it is dark outside.

Pat58: Good luck tomorrow -- let us know how the ortho appointment goes.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-22, 12:06 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Todays workouts:
~Ellen’s Peace Love Cardio
~SeniorShape: Chair Dumbbells - another good one, could easily be done standing
~Foot/calf exercises & stretches - starting to feel some real improvement
~My usual long leg, hip, & QL focused stretch.

Pat - I hope your appt tomorrow goes well, sending healing vibes your way!

Sandra - So glad you are enjoying your gym & sounds like it’s going to get even better with more classes to chose from.

Paine - Yes the cloth loops won’t snap and they don’t dig into your legs. I love how much fun you and your grandson have on your walks. I am another Penzey’s fan, always stop there & at Trader Joe’s when we go to Seattle. But it’s been a long time since we’ve crossed the mainland border.

Beth - Glad your shoes are comfy & hope your class goes well.

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn