Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-29-22, 11:36 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I have had them in shoulder, knees, and hip (general) and hip (specific bursa injection)
The shoulder one didn't help because the arthritis was too bad. For my right knee I bought 4 pain free years after the first one but now it's progressed to where I know I'll need a knee replacement. The "general" hip injection didn't help but when the ortho guy diagnosed bursitis, a cortisone injection banished pain that had greatly affected my ability to walk and has now for over a year.
So YMMV but it's worth a--excuse me--shot.
Hello Jen! When I read your name I thought I was seeing things!

I’m dealing with chronic hip pain *and* pelvic pain. The issues may be related. If the shot could even help one of those things I’d be happy. I tried yesterday morning to get an appointment for a shot and the knuckleheads don’t answer the phone. I’ll try again today.

ETA: I finally got through and have an appointment for Friday. I’m kind of nervous as I’ve never had one before.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-22, 05:27 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Side effect:

I was given the oral dose for a severe case of poison ivy. For several hours, 24 or less and probably didn’t start until an hour or two after the treatment dose, I had uncontrollable/ irrational fear. My logical mind was not affected. I knew the fear was ridiculous but I couldn’t easily stop it. I probably could have controlled it meditative-style but I didn’t think of doing that. The best part of that was waiting for some other woman to arrive at work so that she could go into the bathroom and cover the mirror because of - - - Freddie Krueger LOL! The worst part was when my boss wouldn’t let me not speak during normal table rounds, so I cried through the whole thing right in front of everybody.

A few years later, my boss came in late after a morning cortisone injection for tennis elbow; his first. In the afternoon, I found him just sitting at his desk with tears rolling down his cheeks. Once I was done laughing, he explained that he was experiencing a very deep uncontrollable/irrational sadness.

(About “treatment dose”: You have to take taper-off doses after the oral treatment - Why? How does this compare to going in for a shot?)
I took the oral dose over a week for a drug allergic reaction. It lowers your immune system, and I came down with shingles. Boy, last July was a hard month for me! Fortunately, I'm fine now.

If I remember correctly, you don't have to taper off the shot, as it's a one time thing. However, an oral dose is over a period of time, so you need to taper off. Steroids decrease cortisol, so your adrenal gland stops producing it. That's why you need to taper off, so your body can start producing it again. As to the emotional side, I think cortisol affects anxiety. But don't quote me on that!
Old 12-01-22, 12:02 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

This is such a timely thread. I just found out this week and after months of suffering that the pain I have been struggling with is due to bone on bone in my hip. Will absolutely need hip replacement but I am so mentally distraught that I am not sure I can jump in quickly.

As we snowbird in Florida I hate to give up being active because of the surgery. I am considering a cortisone injection assuming it works now, and surgery in April when we come back home.

I am just totally overwhelmed.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-22, 02:13 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

hedygs, I'm so sorry about your diagnosis! I'm sure you are struggling with it and trying to process what it means going forward. From what I've read of your posts over the years, you are a strong and resilient person but it's okay to feel sad and normal to be overwhelmed by sadness, fear and uncertainty. Give it some time and be kind to yourself. Sending {{hugs}} your way.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-22, 02:15 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Hello Jen! When I read your name I thought I was seeing things!

I’m dealing with chronic hip pain *and* pelvic pain. The issues may be related. If the shot could even help one of those things I’d be happy. I tried yesterday morning to get an appointment for a shot and the knuckleheads don’t answer the phone. I’ll try again today.

ETA: I finally got through and have an appointment for Friday. I’m kind of nervous as I’ve never had one before.
VVFer, keep us posted on how the appointment goes. Does your doc do imaging while giving the shot?

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 12-01-22, 02:24 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
hedygs, I'm so sorry about your diagnosis! I'm sure you are struggling with it and trying to process what it means going forward. From what I've read of your posts over the years, you are a strong and resilient person but it's okay to feel sad and normal to be overwhelmed by sadness, fear and uncertainty. Give it some time and be kind to yourself. Sending {{hugs}} your way.
Thank you so much. Your comment means so much to me.
Old 12-03-22, 01:38 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

hedygs - Sorry you have been suffering! HUGS!

My main issue is a torn labrum.

cataddict - I had the shot yesterday. It was a Physician's Assistant and he was great. He used an ultrasound machine to guide the injection. The shot is a combo of lidocaine for immediate relief and cortisone for extended relief. I didn't have immediate relief with the lidocaine. We'll see if the cortisone kicks in in a few days.

I know they don't work for everyone, depending on the issues.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-22, 12:40 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

VVFer, thanks for the update! I asked the question because when I was in PT the therapist said if anyone wants to give me the shot without imaging that I should run away from that practice as fast as I can.

I'm so glad it went smoothly and I hope it helps!!

Old 12-05-22, 08:45 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
hedygs - Sorry you have been suffering! HUGS!

My main issue is a torn labrum.

cataddict - I had the shot yesterday. It was a Physician's Assistant and he was great. He used an ultrasound machine to guide the injection. The shot is a combo of lidocaine for immediate relief and cortisone for extended relief. I didn't have immediate relief with the lidocaine. We'll see if the cortisone kicks in in a few days.

I know they don't work for everyone, depending on the issues.
Sending vibes that the shot alleviates your pain.

Thank you for the good wishes.

It is a difficult decision on how to proceed to be sure.
Old 12-05-22, 12:00 PM  
fanofladyvols

I hope this helped you VvFer.
Hope everyone else who is struggling finds a way to feel better too!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cortisone injection, hip pain, joint pain, steroid injection