I don't like receiving gift cards. 1 3.13%
I don't like sending gift cards. 4 12.50%
I don't care one way or the other about gift cards. 3 9.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-19, 10:49 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

OT: Gift Cards

I personally love gift cards. I love giving them and I love receiving them.

I've begged a friend for years to send me gift cards instead of packages. She won't listen and keeps mailing boxes.

On the other hand, a relative sent me an Ulta gift card for my birthday and I had a ball buying lipsticks. When I received my haul, I joyfully sent her a photo of my goodies. Everyone was happy.

Some folks feel that gift cards aren't "personal." I'm super hard to shop for, so gift cards are extra personal as I can buy what I want.

How do you feel about giving and/or receiving gift cards?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 12:24 PM  
antbuko

Can't say I particularly love them but gift cards are always welcome. I'll give them sometimes too, but I prefer if I am able to figure out a really cool gift to give someone.
Old 12-12-19, 01:51 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

As long as the gift card is from somewhere I regularly shop (Target or Amazon or a gift card to my hair salon for example), I'm okay with gift cards.

However, some people have given my parents gift cards to places they didn't shop. And then after many, many years, my parents pass the gift cards down to me and (for me at least) I have to make a conscious effort to remember to use the gift card so it doesn't go to waste. (I think there used to be a place you could sell your unused gift cards online but depending on the popularity of the store, some you didn't get face value for. Not sure if that still exists.)

For example, someone gave my mom a $20 Barnes & Noble gift card at least 10-15 years ago. She finally gave it to me maybe 5 or so years ago because she was tired of carrying it around in her wallet and never using it, so it's been on my to-do list to use it for years. Finally, this year I managed to remember to buy a couple things from B&N to use it up when I was buying books for a friend's baby shower. But we normally never go to B&N or buy anything from there. I couldn't use it online because no free shipping unless I spent a certain amount and I was only buying enough to use up the gift card. So, for the first time in over a decade, I stepped into a brick & mortar B&N built this past year in a new shopping center near where I do my other shopping (I paid for the books online and just went to the counter to pick them up).

Another example: someone gave my father a Nordstrom gift card at some point in the 10 years before he died (died in late 2012). He rarely shopped anywhere other than a grocery store, so we were surprised to find the gift card among his belongings. We discovered there was over $20 left on the card (I still wonder what he spent the rest of it on). But my mom and I never shop at Nordstrom. Finally, a few years ago I managed to find something from Nordstrom to buy my mom for Christmas so I used up that gift card.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful because it was very kind of these people to give my parents the gift cards in the first place. But then my parents don't go to the store and use them. At the same time, they don't want to throw them away because it's like throwing away money. And regifting them can be difficult if you're not sure if you know anyone the gift card would be an appropriate gift for.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 01:59 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
As long as the gift card is from somewhere I regularly shop (Target or Amazon or a gift card to my hair salon for example), I'm okay with gift cards. ...
That's a good point. Someone sent me a $100 gift card for Travel Smith a few years ago. I don't shop at Travel Smith because the prices are crazy. For $100 you can get maybe a pair of socks. I gave it to the DH and he found something he liked.

Amazon gift cards are usually a good choice for most people.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 02:03 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love gift cards! I give my kids gift cards to restaurants & their favorite stores. They love it, makes shopping easy for me & they get something they want. My eldest son has two children so babysitting is included with the dining cards. It fosters their relationship & gives them a much needed break.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 02:34 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Every year I tell my DH that all I want is a gift certificate to the local day spa for massage therapy. He says a gift certificate is not a present.

I can't convince him that a massage or a pedicure is truly a wonder gift!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 05:51 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Let’s see - hubby and I have a $100 gift card to a restaurant from 12/17 and a $60 one to a restaurant from last Christmas. A month ago, we each used our Dick’s Sporting Goods $50 cards to buy Christmas gifts for the grandkids. Wait, we also have another $100 restaurant card from last year. Moral of the story - buy people cards for places THEY like, not that you like or happen to be at when you’re out shopping. What’s wrong with $100 at Starbucks - we go there every day!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 06:53 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Moral of the story - buy people cards for places THEY like, not that you like or happen to be at when you’re out shopping. What’s wrong with $100 at Starbucks - we go there every day!
Agreed. I have a $100 restaurand gift card that was given to me in 12/2015. The point is that I love to cook and I rarely go out to restaurants and only if I'm out of town.

I don't care about gift cards one way or another and yes, it's a thought that counts but it's also a waste of money. If you know me, you know I like to cook so give me a gift card to a place where I frequently shop and where I'm sure to happily use it - the next day.

That restaurant gift card from 2015 apparently never expires, so who knows, maybe I'll use it in the next decade.
Old 12-12-19, 07:02 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Moral of the story - buy people cards for places THEY like, not that you like or happen to be at when you’re out shopping. What’s wrong with $100 at Starbucks - we go there every day!
Absolutely, I always ask for ideas before I buy!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 12-12-19, 07:05 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Every year I tell my DH that all I want is a gift certificate to the local day spa for massage therapy. He says a gift certificate is not a present.

I can't convince him that a massage or a pedicure is truly a wonder gift!
I agree Pat, spa GCs are a wonderful gift for those of us who like spa treatments. Having said that, I just got home from using a massage GC that my sister gave me for my birthday & it was heavenly!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Tags
gift cards, off topic, scams