Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-14, 12:21 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Old Thread Alert: Menopause vs. Just Plain Getting Older

***OLD THREAD ALERT!***

I think some of the scary menopause posts here lately are extremely discouraging for our younger VFers. I went through it and am still alive to tell the tale.

Sure, there are very real issues with peri-menopause and menopause. But, I don't think one can blame ALL ills on menopause. Some of these issues are from just plain getting older. After 50, you are dealing with choices you made all your life. Food choices, activity choices, smoking and drinking choices, sun bathing/tanning booth choices, etc. Some issues are hereditary.

I was so glad to be done with my period. It started when I was 11 years old! I had severe, sometimes debilitating Endometriosis for 40 years. And acne that wouldn't die. (Puberty was a way worse nightmare than menopause for me personally.)

I gained weight around menopause and then I lost it. Menopausal weight gain does not have to be a permanent addition. And, my face (mostly) cleared up. I have bone loss, but so do many folks over 50. Even men get bone loss. There are the wrinkles. In my youth, I spent every summer at the beach, rarely using sunscreen, so there is sun damage. I do what I can to alleviate these issues.

All in all, menopause for me was like getting out of jail.

Maybe we can hear from a few other VFers who found menopause is not the end of the world.

(Or, maybe it is just me?)

Last edited by Vintage VFer; 06-06-15 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Old Thread Alert
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 12:32 PM  
JENILU

Thankyou so much!! I have always dealt with a lot of hormonal issues, and have lately been terrified of what forties and ultimately Menopause would bring to my life, mainly because of posts, but thats everywhere andn0ot just here. I keep hoping for something good after 40, lol.

I'm sorry to hear you suffered so much through those years, i never knew, but glad you are seeing some happier years now! Thankyou for sharing that!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 12:35 PM  
sunday

Menopause has not been scary or horrid for me either! The worst time I had was when I was on HRT for six months - weight gain, pain, cravings. Threw it away, went natural, and everything went back to normal. Weight is low, skin is clear, and hair is same as always; no thinning at all.

Sure, I get hot flashes, but it's no big deal. I like to burst out in Queen's "Flash Gordon" song when I get one so DH is always aware when it's happening.

I have bad knees, but that's just age and poor choices of exercises from a few years ago. Losing weight was actually the best thing I ever did for my health. I've never been a sun bunny so have very few lines on my face at all. Other than loose skin, which is from weight loss late in life and age both, I'm doing well.

I do NOT miss my periods! And I AM looking forward to getting my AARP card this year.

And I agree with Alta; puberty was 100 times worse for me!!!!!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 12:39 PM  
jaj999
VF Supporter

I'm another one who thinks it wasn't that bad. The hot flashes were a pita, but the really bad ones only lasted a year or so (I think I may have been lucky there - my really bad ones weren't that bad from what I've heard). I gained some weight and I've since mostly lost it. I'd like to lose more but I am back to my pre-menopause weight. And of course I have wrinkles and a few more aches and pains. Overall though I'm in pretty good shape for my age (thanks video workouts!). My doctor recently told me I could easily live to be 100. I'm in good health now (I'm 56) so I'm quite likely to stay in good health. I'm not sure I want to live to be 100 - I guess there's just no pleasing me .
Old 08-08-14, 12:43 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

"Symptoms" of menopause? My periods stopped. No hot flashes.

Other things that went badly? I gained weight, but then I ate too much. I stopped sleeping like the dead like I used to, but then we have a crushing amount of stress in our lives these days.

Overall, menopause is something that some women don't even have to worry about.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 12:44 PM  
Gams

Menopause was a non-issue for me. The only change in my life was that I stopped menstruating - period! (LOL...sorry, I had to put that in there...)
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 01:00 PM  
Sollamyn

I'm 55 and I haven't had a period since May. Keeping my fingers crossed now and hoping that it will stick this time. (I had some irregularities last fall, but then went regular for a few months--until May!) Anyway, I'm gaining weight but mostly because I haven't been behaving myself and I'm trying now to get a handle on my moods, which cause me to overeat all the wrong foods. So, if moodiness is a symptom of menopause, that's probably the worst symptom I have right now. I have very light hot flashes and light night sweats, but nothing debilitating or that other people notice. I've been sleeping pretty well over the summer, but I have gone through spells in the past where I wake up in the middle of night and can't get back to sleep. So far for me, that's all I've got to say about menopause. In a few months (when/if it's official), I might have more tales to tell. However, I've asked my older sisters about their experiences, they sounded very much like my own. Nothing too terrible. I'm hoping for the same.

Donna
Old 08-08-14, 01:04 PM  
donnamp

Ok, I haven't hit meno yet, but I suppose at my age (46) I'm definitely peri-and I have absolutely no problems at all - no weight gain, no hot flashes, no weird symptoms, no more breakouts or skin issues than usual, etc. In fact, I feel more balanced overall than ever. Sure, I have some pms-y symptoms on occasion, but I don't think any worse than when I was younger. I think a lot goes into how you go through meno - some of it is lifestyle and some of it is genetics. I think my mom was fine, so I suspect I will be, too, especially since I think I take better care of myself than she did at my age.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to it! No need to plan for it or worry about having tampons and pads on hand.....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 01:09 PM  
Kyra

I agree with Alta entirely. Been through menopause. It was NOT the end of the world, far from it. I had hot flashes for maybe a summer, then that was that. I expected far worse, given family history, but seems I lucked out in that regard. Gained a little weight around that time; subsequently lost it. Learned the hard way, I guess, that eating ice cream every night isn't going to work for me anymore. Still run, still lift, still yoga, still karate. And jiu jitsu. And whatever else strikes my fancy.

Yes, I have to be conscientious about my diet and activities, and not take things for granted as much as I once did, but that is more a function of age than of hormones.

Menopause - it's the end of your period! And that's pretty awesome.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 01:10 PM  
LoveVA

I'm perimenopausal now. I haven't had a period since November of last year, so I'm thinking this is it. Aside from hot flashes during the day and night, I have not had any other symptoms: no moodiness/irritability, no weight gain, no acne, nothing. I sleep with a fan on, that's it. My ability to tolerate carbs is diminished, but I don't know if that is menopausal or just aging.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopause, middle-aged women, mononucleosis, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause, vintage vfers