Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-09, 01:00 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
Carla-I just ordered the new Essentrics with Sahra, but I don't have Miranda's versions. I don't want to get burned out on CS, so I'll hold off for now! (Plus, I have Fluidity, Exhale, all of the Squeezes, plus a bunch of other barre workouts so I should slow down.)
Honestly if you have the 2 Essentrics, especially the Arms, Abs&Waist Toner / Legs, Butt&Thigh Thinner, you don't really "need" the full body workout 2 with Miranda.... you'll be fine with those 2

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 01:05 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spstout View Post
Once again, you ladies have cost me money!! I just ordered the Essentrics DVDs and the 2009 season, and I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. I can figure out how long the episodes on the 2009 season are, but how long are each of the Essentrics DVDs? And is the Arms & Abs, Legs & Butt two separate workouts or is it one long workout?
Hey let us know hoe you like the 2009 season dvds....

The Essentrics DVD are 1 hour long each. The arms & butt is broken into 2 segments (30 minutes each). The flexibility is broken into 4 segments standing, floor, barre, & split... you can pick any segment or do the full workout.

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 01:11 PM  
naturallove

I'm curious to know about people's flexibility results from Sahra's toning workout. Has anyone gotten looser in the upper body after doing this one regularly. (The upper body portion)
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 02:37 PM  
Lorianne

your very welcome Windy. it is nice to see that they are more than just PT. that was the bonus of it all.

but you all might want to check another post that started today. I see someone who really preferred yoga. so CS is not obviously for everyone.
I love yoga. but, it took me only so far.
CS worked for me, at this point in my life. when adrien_73 started the thread, she asked for any results & I gave mine. with pic's to prove my results. I'm happy with it.
but, like I'm repeating, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.
I will say, I'm sure alot of you will/can have better results than myself, because I have such a bad diet.

& Beth, I agree whole heartedly. Miranda's monkey, tail under move isn't like a Lotte Berk or Bar Method pelvic tuck.
I found that Miranda's hold/move strengthened the lower back & lower abs.
that's the only move I can think videofit might be meaning?
& ya Beth, it's not used a whole lot anyhow.

Emma, that move your talking about with the arm above your head. I could not do that for the life of me, for at least 2 - 3 months. I was like the shy kid in class, asking the teacher to go to the washroom. arm crooked at the elbow & my hand basically up. I could not lift my arm higher than my head.
I'm amazed that I can actually lift my arm straight up & back.
& I have had one shoulder higher than the other for about a good 3 years.
& the rotator cuff was always complaining. lots of Advil.
go slow, don't push it. you can reverse the damage.

Carla, ya, I know that feeling in the back sucked. I had that for a few times. she kinked somehow or something. or I was not used to it. thought I have done enough yoga in the past? it does/did go away. never get that feeling anymore.
guess I should have posted a back shot too?
my back seemed get strong within a month. & the same for my knee.

I noticed when I stopped over excercising, I started to not need extra calories, felt rested & saw different muscle shape in about 4 weeks of CS.
the last year was eye opening for me personally. compared to how I've been abusing my body in the past.
& I could never satisfy my uncontrollable hunger!? Starvin' Marvin'.
you all should take measurements or before pictures. if that means anything to you.

I think I will bow out gracefully from this darn thread adrien_73 started. I see the tables may turn on me? seems my results are pissing some people off? shouldn't have let you all see my album? ummm, I was only trying to be helpful & did definitely not mean to "force my opinions on anyone".
just gave my results, that's all.
certainly did not intend to say CS is the end all or be all.
darn you adrien_73.
I got to learn to keep my mouth shut.
Lorianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 03:28 PM  
JeepGirl

Hey Lori--I've been following this thread with great interest and am impressed with your results. Please don't hesitate to share them. I just started my 3rd week of a Tracey Mallet rotation but after this ends you've inspired me to pull out the few CS I have (Sahra's Essentric toning, Miranda's arms and abs and legs and butt) and give that a whirl for awhile. thanks for sharing and you look great.

Christine
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 03:52 PM  
Edie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbaby View Post
Edie-
I think I may not do a strict CS rotation now. I'll explain in a moment why.

I have SERIOUS exercise ADD. I've done nothing consistent and have nearly every exercise program you can think of. Because I lack consistency, I never really get lasting results or stick with anything long enough to figure out what is truly working and what is not. I'm like a toddler who reaches for anything sparkly and shiny and I've got to break that or I'll never get anywhere. This thread has really been a wake up call for me to change my ways.

The reason I'm now contemplating a mixed rotation is because I read last night in another thread about a poster who suffers with chondromalacia patella and how kettlebells, particularly swings and the low squats, drastically helped with that. I too have chondromalacia patella and the age of onset for that poster and the age she is now is identical to myself and so, being the vidiot that I am and having kettlebells and dvd's already in my arsenal, have decided to incorporate that into my CS rotation. I figure the kettlebell action will also double for my ab work and cardio as well. If I were you, since you're already doing KB's, I would just incorporate CS to see if that would lean out those areas I thought were getting overly muscular, that way, you wouldn't necessarily have to throw out the baby with the bathwater and could play with the balance between how much bell work was needed and how much CS was needed to achieve your desired look while reaping ALL the benefits of both.

It seems to me that kettlebells and CS are similar in that they are both functional type of workouts and I think, at least I hope, the two would work well together.
Hi Tiffany - LOL! I have Serious Exercise ADD also. - but I have done a few short rotations! My current KB/Barre/Upper Body weights rotation, left my lower body a little too muscular - I think too much lower body barre (ala Pure Barre thighs) was too much with my 2-3 times a week of full KB workouts. I liked the shape of the thigh muscles (nice outer sweep), just need it slightly smaller (besides my jeans are too tight for me now). However, I do think I like the way my upper body looks with moderate endurance type workouts - and that seems to balance out my legs/butt. This week I cut back on a KB workout and Barre workout and looks like legs are shrinking already! I am naturally thin and small boned, yet I build muscle quickly (I think mostly because of muscle memory - I lifted heavy for years because I didn't like looking so thin.)

So I'm wanting to do shorter KB workouts with some upper body endurance type workout and incorporating CS/barre/yoga into the mix. Don't ask me how I plan to incorporate them all - haven't figured that out yet. I may just wake up in the morning and ask my body what it feels like doing today. Oh yeah - and I did I forget some cardio on top of that? Maybe KB can sub for some of that? I'm a little confused - so if anyone has suggestions on a rotation, I'm all ears. I workout about 5-6 times a week.

I'm wondering also if I do CS legs after a barre workout or KB workout, maybe that would help prevent the legs from bulking. See, I like the shape that some weight workouts can give the legs, but not the bulk. This is like rocket science to figure out what will work... and the thing is that everyone's body will respond differently to different exercise. And your body itself will respond differently to different exercise at different times, due to a plateau, due to peri-menopausal factors (hormones), stress, d**t, etc. But what I do notice is that a too strenuous workout also affects the quality of my sleep. Too much pushing it increases my adrenaline output, making it harder to sleep well at night. So, gotta find some kind of balance with the intensity of all these workouts. Anyway, more too think about - it's kind of fun though - I mean it's not work. I don't take it that seriously - it's more amusing mental chatter - because frankly overall, I like the way my body looks and responds to all this exercise. But I've got to pay closer attention to how my body feels - some of the intense, heavy weight workouts may leave me feeling hungry, achy/stiff and just plain tired.

I've chatted enough! Sorry so long!
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 04:06 PM  
hourglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorianne View Post
I think I will bow out gracefully from this darn thread adrien_73 started. I see the tables may turn on me? seems my results are pissing some people off? shouldn't have let you all see my album? ummm, I was only trying to be helpful & did definitely not mean to "force my opinions on anyone".
just gave my results, that's all.
certainly did not intend to say CS is the end all or be all.
darn you adrien_73.
I got to learn to keep my mouth shut.
Lorianne, I don't think anyone here thought you were trying to force your opinions!!! We're all big girls (and guys) and can make up our own minds on what will work for us. I think you've been a tremendous help, and have proven that someone can get great results without killing themselves!

Joan
hourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 04:14 PM  
Edie

Lorianne -

Oh no! You've been most helpful to me. I appreciate your experience and input. It's been most inspiring! My fitness goals may be slightly different from yours, but your information has been SO helpful!
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 04:22 PM  
annie8

Lorraine,
I am also very grateful for all your posts. Thankyou for sharing your success with CS. I have a number of CS dvd's and your posts have encouraged me to re-visit these.
Of coarse, CS won't be for everyone but for those of us interested, you have been very helpful.
Ann
annie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 04:36 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Lorianne,

What Joan, Edie, and Ann said, and what I'm sure many others would agree with - thanks for sharing your story!

You aren't forcing anything on anyone, and if anyone buys CS DVDs after reading the forum the decision is their responsibility. Hopefully they will enjoy the DVDs and benefit from them.

I was especially interested to read about how you maintained strength doing these types of workouts. I've been gravitating more towards yoga, Pilates, T-Tapp, and CS these days, with some kettlebell workouts here and there. I'm your size but I don't bulk no matter what I do. I like kettlebells, but sometimes I only feel like doing them once a week or so.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, results, season 5