Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-20, 09:58 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Wait...you started the process..and then didn't go?

Why on Earth not?
Was afraid I wasn’t fit enough. Thought everyone else would be fitness goddesses.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 10:16 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Wow, this thread is making me feel old and out of touch. (But then most everything does these days.) Although I have been visiting VF for close to 20 years I somehow managed to miss the brouhaha that drove people away.

I have never posted much but I have been a principal player in a contentious thread. I no longer remember the details but the other primary poster and I worked it out privately and came to a mutually satisfying end.

It is so easy to misunderstand or misconstrue what someone else means. We aren't all equally talented at expressing our thoughts in writiting. I tend to be very wordy but still unable to express exactly what I want to say.

I'm always grateful that VF tends to the nicer side. No, it's not perfect and we do have occasional disagreeable threads but overall we can agree to disagree.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 10:32 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Was afraid I wasn’t fit enough. Thought everyone else would be fitness goddesses.
Ohh I like that Fitness Goddess... YESSS it has a nice ring to it!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 10:46 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post

I would rather post here than on Facebook, but, like I said, people here don't seem to be that interested or enthusiastic about streaming. I don't know anyone IRL who enjoys working out the way that I do (if anything they just go to a gym), so I'm always looking for a community of people who have the same interests. I have tried to post here to stir up interest but it just hasn't happened. Most people here just aren't streamers. But the people who are have, like me, probably given up on posting here.
I think it’s that there just aren’t as many people visiting here, and there aren’t many new ones replacing those that left. Forums aren’t as popular, and even people who would have liked to join apparently often can’t (as discussed in another thread).

I primarily use paper and streaming workouts now. It seems like there used to be more discussions about both of those, but not so much anymore. But I also wouldn’t have much to say in most streaming threads either, because I tend to stick with the same few services for a long time before switching things up.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 11:36 PM  
violingal3

After collecting DVDs for ~20 years, my collection is saturated. I got tired of trading/selling/mailing/repurchasing so I just started keeping my DVDs. I find that there is very little I need to add to my collection.

Instructors aren't putting out DVDs like they used to, and I'm not doing any streaming services, so I'm just not visiting as much since there isn't much going on anymore.

I started a family in recent years, and it's a miracle to find a few minutes late at night once in a blue moon to mindlessly surf the web and visit my old favorite forums. I might be an oddball for my age group, but I like forums and don't do any social media.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 04:55 AM  
Richie

What I'm learning from this thread is that Tracy Anderson ruins everything!

I kid of course!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 07:50 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I think for many life just gets in the way and priorities change, and either they no longer have the time to spend here or no longer wish to spend time here for whatever reason whether they don't use DVDs anymore or have other commitments. It's unfortunate but it is what it is.

I have never been a huge poster but my posting and workouts are spotty. I am to the point that I am really not buying DVDs anymore, or very few and am just using the same workouts that I have used for years, many of the instructors I use no longer release anything new. I will make pit stops here, scan GD for a few minutes and that's about it for me nowadays, with an occasional post or two. As some have said there is not much going on anymore and the little there is may not apply or interest some people.

I spend way too much time with a computer and while I will never be able to fully unplug I am limiting my time spent here and on the internet in general. I guess I am trying to make more time for other things, including exercise and other hobbies that I enjoy.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 08:21 AM  
Cybersparkle

So much has changed on so many levels in my life & the world that has caused me not to post here only every now & again.

I was initially so drawn to be here because I had been in another workout forum that did not welcome discussion of other methods & VF included any kind of exercise. I also was struggling with health & there was a lot of support here for that & other off topic life stuff.

Then, it began with some of my favorite instructors lost their good music (Ellen, Raviana & Travis (the recent music still doesnt top UY only IMO). What would be the odds that all of them do this?lol & the new stuff coming out was not what I was looking for & the demise of dvds ... I do remember & miss those bandwagon threads & buying frenzy!

I seem to be at peace with the workouts I have & knowledgeable about working out for my body - I learned so much from VF and am so thankful for all I learned here & support I gave & got. I kinda am all set for a few years I think.

I made a post that was not well received by someone who I thought was a VF friend. Then, when I wondered what happened to another VFer who really had changed my life through sharing her experience of kundalini - I discovered she had blocked me & that's why I hadnt seen any of her posts! When I first came here in 2009, either I didnt notice or that kind of thing didnt happen then. I really loved how welcoming & positive VF used to be. Too much stress IRL, cant deal with it digitally too lol

Irregardless of anyone here, I was feeling a need to have a more in depth, elaborate exercise journal with more real life art & privacy. Just didnt have time to log my workouts in both places.

Life changes - perimenoupause, career transition, family members getting sick, shift in extra buying went to art rather than workouts.

I still visit when I can tho & VF will always have a warm spot in my heart

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 08:34 AM  
firmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I think part of the difference in lack of posts has to do with technology. I can only speak for myself, but when I started here I used my desktop computer with a regular desk chair and standard keyboard. It was very conducive to easily typing long, thoughtful posts. Now I use an iPad on my lap and two fingers to type. Because of that I just don’t type as much or don’t comment at all. Using a phone is even harder, IMO - tinier keys, difficult to use punctuation, etc. everyone has gotten accustomed to using shorter words, abbreviations, etc. as with texts. Actually I feel like I’m losing the ability to effectively communicate, particularly in person. I do it so infrequently that I feel a little awkward. Everything is text anymore. Ok, I have gotten off topic...

Kim
I want to copy off someone else's paper!! This is my answer, too....typing in a phone or tablet is just so much more time/effort these last 10+ years....

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 08:39 AM  
topfitmama

I used to post a lot on here but that changed a couple of years ago. First, shipping prices went up a lot, making DVDs way too expensive for me to acquire. Trading became near impossible.
Then family stuff took priority and it was all stuff I couldn't post about on a place like VF (or anywhere else, for that matter), so I just stopped posting.

I keep trying to exercise regularly but my mini-job (as they call it here in Germany) not only provides my morning cardio, it makes me very tired. These days I only ever do a bit of pilates, some ballet workouts and, more recently, some CS or Essentrics. I'm happy when my body doesn't hurt.

I remember the fascia blaster threads. I even went out and bought a "cellulite brush" and used it a few times on my lower body, causing some interesting bruising that had my husband wondering what on earth I'd been doing to myself. I haven't used it since.

As you see, I'm still here and still reading!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
absent vfers, ifit, new members, tommy rivs puzey, vf activity