Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-18, 07:09 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

No More DVDs from Ellen

Earlier this morning Ellen retweeted something from Greenpeace about plastic polluting our oceans, and said it was the #1 reason she’s not releasing any more DVDs - streaming only. Regardless the reason - bummer.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 07:25 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Earlier this morning Ellen retweeted something from Greenpeace about plastic polluting our oceans, and said it was the #1 reason she’s not releasing any more DVDs - streaming only. Regardless the reason - bummer.
I think she made a statement similar when she said her 7-Day was her last dvd. I'm curious about her streaming as I've been on an Ellen kick lately.

I do like to use dvds, though. I like to own the workout, and have something physical. My internet isn't always reliable, either.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 07:35 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Alice Bracegirdle will no longer produce DVDs and her reasons are the same.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 08:00 AM  
ardnas

I find this very disappointing.

If they are concerned about plastic, they could sell DVDs in cardboard cases made with recycled paper instead of plastic. I would still purchase.

I will never pay to stream workouts. Glad I kept all of my DVDs.
Old 04-10-18, 11:44 AM  
Mickey12

Eoin Finn stated the same reasoning a few years ago. He is very big into trying to save the oceans. I'm still in favor of DVDs though for the same reasons as Jackie.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 12:09 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I'm not a big fan of streaming subscriptions, but I'm happy to purchase downloads. They are definitely are greener and, because I live in Canada, much more affordable as cross border shipping can be $$$.

So I hope Ellen will sell downloads!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 01:06 PM  
starbelly

Plastic waste is a big problem, but the servers that power streaming services consume enormous amounts of electricity, much of it produced by burning fossil fuels. Living in the Netherlands means that postage prices are often outrageous-- one quote was $42 for one DVD!-- so online options are typically the only realistic way to get videos. When I buy digital videos, I always prefer downloads to streaming for environmental reasons as well as convenience. There is also no (legal) secondary market for downloads so it is easy to understand why people might hesitate to spend the money on something with no resale value.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 02:41 PM  
laurajhawk

Let's be honest; the problem of plastic waste in DVDs and their packaging isn't us vidiots. We keep those DVDs on our shelves for years; even with good intentions, I throw away more non-DVD plastic waste in a month than I do in five years of DVD usage. The problem, to the extent there is a problem, is the large number of people who buy large numbers of workouts and then throw them out later because they've never used them.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 03:05 PM  
TinaT

I'm not sure if I buy into the plastic statement, but either way she's choosing to go the way of streaming... like so many others. I'm just not ready to jump on that "bandwagon". I know so many have posted that it works well for them. I still enjoy owning the physical copy of the routine/workout.

I don't have a huge library of workouts to begin with, so having a place for them has never been an issue.

I wish her luck and hope it all works out for those who enjoy her.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 03:28 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
I find this very disappointing.

If they are concerned about plastic, they could sell DVDs in cardboard cases made with recycled paper instead of plastic. I would still purchase.

I will never pay to stream workouts. Glad I kept all of my DVDs.
I've seen numerous complaints here on VF about instructors who have issued their workouts in cardboard cases, because these workouts don't shelve well with their plastic-cased DVDs, or the DVDs get scratched because they are loose inside the cardboard case, etc.

IMO DVDs are quickly becoming obsolete. It is way cheaper for instructors to issue online-only workouts, and let's not forget the complaints about poor DVD processing on DVDs from Cathe and Jessica Smith, among others, and people not being able to play DVD-Rs, etc.

I think instructors should issue their workouts as downloads OR streaming. If you buy a download, it's yours to keep, and if you like streaming, you have that option. My issue with streaming workouts is that they can disappear if the instructor changes platforms or just purges older workouts in favor of newer ones. Like many, I dislike the idea of paying for workouts that I cannot keep.

Anyway, the majority of the workouts and yoga practices I use now are from YouTube, and I plan to convert the DVDs I have to files that I can save on our computer.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downloads, dvds versus streaming, ellen barret, ellen barrett, end of dvds, streaming