Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-15, 12:24 PM  
bfit

I fell . . . now what?

Yesterday when I was running I tripped on an uneven square of sidewalk and fell. I bounced and slid on my hands and also my chin. I have three stitches in my chin, a bandage on one hand, and my jaw is jammed so it's hard to chew. The doctor said that other than swimming (which would get my stitches wet) I can do any exercise I want. The problem is that I don't feel like doing anything. I'm just moping around the house feeling sorry for myself. I'm taking some medications (antiinflammatory and antibiotic), and I wonder if those are affecting my motivation. Should I make myself do something easy? Or just wait until my ambition returns?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 12:32 PM  
gladgirl

Awwwww, how horrible!
Seriously...
Give yourself a break, sweetie, you need to heal a bit more!
Sending (((HUGS)))! Your motivation will return!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 01:12 PM  
Daphne M

BTDT with falls while running and cycling. First of all, you need a hug and a nap!

After that, I've noticed that any time I've gotten stitches from an injury, my body needs a good day of rest. I think it's a real shock to the system and sends our body into adrenaline overkill, along with all the energy diverted just to healing.

So give yourself a break for a day or two, you've earned it. After that, start back slowly with gentle non-impact workouts. Also you might find that your injured hand holds you back more than you'd think. It can really hurt to hold anything heavy. Give it time!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 01:12 PM  
Sara1000

I would say make the effort to do a little something - find some short and/or easy workouts you can enjoy - maybe some Jessica Smith - and keep going - that will make it easier to resume your regular workouts when you're ready. Just my 2 cents
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 01:15 PM  
Sara1000

P.S. what a perfect excuse to buy a couple of new workouts! And by all means take a couple of days off first - maybe while you wait for the mailman
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 01:32 PM  
andtckrtoo

You know how we always say "Listen to your body." Yeah, this is what we mean. You need a day or two to let yourself feel better. When you wake up thinking, "I WANT to workout!" then do it, but a a few days rest won't hurt you in any way.
Old 07-24-15, 01:42 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
You know how we always say "Listen to your body." Yeah, this is what we mean. You need a day or two to let yourself feel better. When you wake up thinking, "I WANT to workout!" then do it, but a a few days rest won't hurt you in any way.
I couldn't have said it better (((((hugs)))))

Get well soon
Old 07-24-15, 01:52 PM  
jenn38

Quote:
This. Your body has experienced a trauma give yourself a well deserved break. Maybe an easy walk or stretching if you really need something,
Old 07-24-15, 02:28 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Quote:
So well said, I couldn't add a thing! Be as kind to yourself as you would a good friend who had fallen. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 02:40 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I agree. Let yourself heal! I think your motivation will naturally return when your body and mind are ready. I would at least wait until the stitches have healed.

Tags
injury, stitches