Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-15, 09:33 AM  
kariev34

Art method or Suzanne Bowen

I want to subscribe to one of these streaming sites for my toning/strength training days. What are your opinions on each? I know they are different but have you tried one or the other and liked one more or if you have only done one how are you liking it? This is not a money based question as I know Art is more expensive since she is now on her new site.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-15, 09:38 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I have tried ART a couple of times, but have never warmed up to it. I think the idea of doing the Tech Study every day drives me crazy.

I love Suzanne's stuff - lots of variety, new videos frequently, lots of 30 minute or less options. Plus challenge/rotation calendars and an active Facebook group where Suzanne posts a lot. Suzanne has a special today - 30 days of streaming for $1.99 - why don't you give it try? I believe the discount code is ilovemom .

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-15, 09:49 AM  
deineira

Hi,
I've done both and I cannot recommend ART highly enough. ART provides cardio and toning at the same time, so I appreciate that. It's totally low impact and challenging, and effective.

I'm not a barre person even though I've tried to like it, so I find Suzanne's workouts very repetitive. I think Suzanne offers more variety than most instructors of barre, but I personally need more variety overall. ART combines yoga, strength training (from 2# weights to 25 # kettle bells), body weight, Isometrics, and gives me a more engaging experience overall.

I've stuck with ART for almost two years, which is a lifetime for me. I do incorporate other instructors, but this is always in my rotation. I crave these workouts and I've gotten great results doing them.

Both instructors give excellent cues and are positive and encouraging, so in that respect you can't go wrong. They're both awesome.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-15, 10:20 AM  
mandie123

I also tried ART for a short while and like Carol above,doing the tech study daily would drive me mad.I just can't do the same thing ever day,but I did like her workouts.Was a member on Suzannes site for a while,lots of content and I got great arms!Plus "for me" hers was more doable.
Old 05-10-15, 11:02 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

I'm going to throw in my suggestion for ART method. I've tried SBF and there are just too many videos to shuffle through to try and put together a workout. With ART, you get almost one hundred full workouts (45 minutes to an hour). The workouts are complete with flexibility, cardio and strength. I like the class feel and the music. Repeating the tech study initially felt repetitive to me but then I started using it to gauge my progress and I could really see how much stronger and more flexible I was getting.

You should note though that the $6.99 subscription rate is ending soon (or it might already be over.) Terri will be offering all of her workouts including the Prescriptives at PowHow.com. The price is higher at PowHow but I'm not sure by how much.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-15, 01:05 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I have tried ART a couple of times, but have never warmed up to it. I think the idea of doing the Tech Study every day drives me crazy.

I love Suzanne's stuff - lots of variety, new videos frequently, lots of 30 minute or less options. Plus challenge/rotation calendars and an active Facebook group where Suzanne posts a lot. Suzanne has a special today - 30 days of streaming for $1.99 - why don't you give it try? I believe the discount code is ilovemom .

Carol
This.
Old 05-10-15, 02:44 PM  
kariev34

Thanks everyone. With Art, how long are the workouts without the tech study and do you have tondo the tech study? And with SB are the workouts challenging?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-15, 02:48 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Suzanne's workouts are very challenging, but do-able. For me, the ART workouts never became do-able. I just didn't like them enough to persevere through them until I made progress - even the beginner workouts.

Here's a link to Suzanne's advanced calendar for the challenge starting tomorrow: http://3194bp2usbqa1hcuzp1y5zid1dpg...._Challenge.jpg

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-15, 03:08 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Suzanne's workouts are very challenging, but do-able. For me, the ART workouts never became do-able. I just didn't like them enough to persevere through them until I made progress - even the beginner workouts.

Here's a link to Suzanne's advanced calendar for the challenge starting tomorrow: http://3194bp2usbqa1hcuzp1y5zid1dpg...._Challenge.jpg

Carol
I like that her rotation doesn't call for hour long workouts! Does anyone know if we sign up for that Mother's Day schedule, can we delay the start a month?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-15, 03:18 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
Thanks everyone. With Art, how long are the workouts without the tech study and do you have tondo the tech study? And with SB are the workouts challenging?
The Tech Study is basically the warm up. You could do your own warmup and start the workout after the Tech Study (10-15 mins). You can even start the workout after the DCT Dynamic Cardio Toning section if you wanted to take 5-10 more minutes off.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art method, suzanne bowen, terri walsh