Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-15, 03:12 PM  
daisysunshine

Becoming A Work of ART: Art Method @Home: Workout 2 Review and Thoughts.

Okie dokes. here is work out #2's review. (to remind people I am doing 1 whole year of ART as a challenge, that anyone can do this system, regardless of fitness background, shape, etc. I am not the healthiest/fittest person but imma gonna get there. this is just a fun challenge that Terri offered me, which I was glad to accept).

ART Method @ Home #2 Workout you can find it here. You need 1 mat, 2 blocks. You will also have to use the play list to do your own tech study/warm up, as this is not attached to workout #2. (i was kinda bummed about that, but Terri is doing 3 workouts at this resort when she's there, so she needs to maximize her time. it's not the biggest of deals but I know sometimes this bugs people so it's good to have that out of the way)

Imma not going to lie. I previewed this and I felt like i was gonna cry. this is all about the lunges, and I hate them when I am this heavy. I don't mind them when I'm all nice and svelte like because, I can actually do them (ie: go down and come back all graceful like a swan or whatever), but now, at where I am I feel like I am going to either blow out my knee, or I cheat (I step back, barely bend my knee, and let my front leg do all the work.). I am beating myself out of this habit, but yah. this is all about the lunge. (front and back)

(big. ole sigh here).

This workout begins with DCT which this cycle is
Plank to Downward dog
Front lunge prep
Lunge up to tap block
combination. (ultimately, the goal is to do plank to downward dog, bring your knee forward lift up, tap the block with other foot, go back to plank, bring the other foot to the block 8x, hold to plank). I actually found the end combination a bit easier to do than the front lunge-tap block combo prep. because i was already 1/2 way up. getting up took a LOT of effort.

then the next sequence was
side lunge
back lunge
side-lunge back lunge combo
squat pulses
side lunge
back lunge
side-lunge back lunge combo
squat pulses

my lunges on the right, i felt like a drunken sailor on land, even with support, lots of wobbling. my left side was much more stable. (I always find it interesting. i was born left handed, but i now write with my right, but my left side is still very much my dominate side. the more you know). As much as i HATED this. this was actually kinda fun. I had to pause terri here, because basically every time i tapped back (basically when i got tired). i made myself do an extra two. so ... needless to say I ended up doing a a lot of these.

next sequence was
launch planks
launch plank kick out
ankle tap-kick out
kneeling side lunge.

then
ab work (reinforcing the stuff from workout one)
adding on to this was oblique work
side block planks (same as wo #1)
french dips (i had to make my blocks flat, terri had hers up)

and then the stretch

this one was tough bananas. but again. it isn't hard enough that you can't do it. i took a bazillion breaks in this one, so my goal (as is when i re-do work out #1) is to minimize my breaks so it's only 30 seconds and get right back up doing it.

Art Method @ Home #1 Workout
You can find it here - You only need a mat and two blocks.

There is a warm up. If you are at all familiar of her ART streaming classes, this is a v. similar workout. (if you have her dvd too). if not. basically what it is. moving side to side in a lunge, then stretching your arms over your head, then to the front, then doing a runners lunge/stretch warm up. very fluid. very dooable.

then comes tech study number 1. (Terri also has two versions. one very basic, and one level two). this isn't the 10 minute tech study she normally does). right now, the premise is having everything done correctly and really breaking down what the tech study is supposed to do. (keeping your shoulders down, feet firm, navel back/ribs closed).

the DCT (dynamic cardio) was also broken down in layers. the cycle is 8. so 8 planks to downward dogs, then planks, knee taps, then side-mountain climbers (i don't know what these are really, but it was basically moving your knee across your stomach.. this was hard for me (and if you are a Bigger Girl - you might find this challenging too). i did these. incredibly slowly to get the movement done)

by this time my arms were on fire

the mat workout itself was

leg kick back
hydrant
leg kickback-hydrant combo
double hydrant

and you just kept alternating your levels this was my favourite part of the workout and I didn't feel like death - but i did get an incredible burn on my bum.

then came something that was incredibly difficult for me. Terri had you stack blocks up then you were to sit down, then stand back up (something that i was able to do before - think. Goblet squats if you Kettlebell, if not. you basically have your legs wide and then you squat, then drive up with your feet planted using your core to stand back up). out of 16, i only did 4. (2 on blocks) 2 on my ottoman (not bracing my hands with my knees)

after that, you did side lying work with

leg kick front
side plank
leg kick-side plank combo
leg kick back

my shoulder started to get angry with me at this point

then there were some ab work with the block
then a stretch
and done

it took me a while (i needed to get my heart rate down), and breaks. Terri. really. really breaks this down (and she always ends with - if you get to a point where you don't need the set up - just do another set while i talk.

I am going to be doing this workout about 4x a week, and concentrating on the aspects that caused me issues the day before. (so. lots of lunges and gobblet squatting. sigh).

I think regardless of your fitness level you can do this.
if planks are an issue, you will find this challenging.
if you are v. curvy you'd have issues with the mountain climbers

I wouldn't call this a beginner" workout in the sense that it was "easy" but it's very dooable for those who struggled with ART in the past (if that makes sense).

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-15, 04:28 PM  
Sherim

Daisy congratulations on starting this journey. I am not on here alot either but I'm coming out of hiding to let you know the sucess story your talking about was mine. I wanted to let you know that this really works and Terri is the best. You will become your own work of A.R.T.
Sherim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-15, 05:27 PM  
daisysunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherim View Post
Daisy congratulations on starting this journey. I am not on here alot either but I'm coming out of hiding to let you know the sucess story your talking about was mine. I wanted to let you know that this really works and Terri is the best. You will become your own work of A.R.T.
well congratulations. you were very inspiring, to say the least. I do know how awesome ART is - I just never did it starting from ground zero. (which is the challenge)

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

Old 03-23-15, 08:46 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

Good for you Daisy and don't stop. Terri is one of the greatest ladies out there as she really cares about you and how you can incorporate her method. I just did the workout myself and while some parts were easy others like the plank holds just kick my behind. Terri's ab work just really works. The ART Method takes concentration as the resistance points are hard to maintain when doing her class at full speed. I scaled back as I was losing my form on her full workouts so there is no shame in that. I do feel my bum talking to me.
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-15, 08:57 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Hi Daisy, welcome back and congratulations on starting your journey!!
Just so you know, your post (and Sherim's and mwelters') have encouraged me to finally give ART a try.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-15, 12:22 AM  
txfitmom

I think I am going to retry the Art Method. Been looking for something different. Thanks for starting this thread. I am going to try that workout you posted, nice scenery!

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-15, 09:33 AM  
daisysunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelters View Post
Good for you Daisy and don't stop. Terri is one of the greatest ladies out there as she really cares about you and how you can incorporate her method. I just did the workout myself and while some parts were easy others like the plank holds just kick my behind. Terri's ab work just really works. The ART Method takes concentration as the resistance points are hard to maintain when doing her class at full speed. I scaled back as I was losing my form on her full workouts so there is no shame in that. I do feel my bum talking to me.
thanks
I noticed that too. Terri is all about "THINKING" lol and when you are like 40 minutes in your workout your mind starts to drift. I am liking the beginner workouts is really reinforcing the 'thinking' part.

And I agree. Terri is a total peach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Hi Daisy, welcome back and congratulations on starting your journey!!
Just so you know, your post (and Sherim's and mwelters') have encouraged me to finally give ART a try.

HI Lucky! thank you
the beginner classes might be just the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
I think I am going to retry the Art Method. Been looking for something different. Thanks for starting this thread. I am going to try that workout you posted, nice scenery!
you are welcome. and i know. Terri is living in Costa Rica, I have to say jeal.ous looking at where she is working out.

As more classes are added. I'll ... guess I'll keep it in this thread and just edit the title, rather than creating new threads all the time. . Terri said the beginner classes can be done up to 5 x a week. I am going to try for 4, i'm not sure if i can handle 5 right now.

and as more classes get added i can really start to build a rotation. but my goal is to reallly be strong in ONE class. before i kick it a side.

Old 03-24-15, 01:56 PM  
slysam

Awesome! I am glad you like ART method. I haven't really tried it yet, though it seems like the sort of thing I would love. I have a book from Terri from the 1990's that I bought used before I got into videos and just loved her workout philosophy and use of functional exercises even back then.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-15, 02:22 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
Awesome! I am glad you like ART method. I haven't really tried it yet, though it seems like the sort of thing I would love. I have a book from Terri from the 1990's that I bought used before I got into videos and just loved her workout philosophy and use of functional exercises even back then.
I didn't realize that Terri had a book - and from the '90s, no less! She really was a front-runner of this type of workout.

Thanks for posting here for us 'non-facebookers', Daisy! I look forward to following your journey and cheering you on!

Sherim, congrats on your results!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-15, 02:25 PM  
in paris

daisysunshine, sending you love and good vibes -- you go girl!!!
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art method, art method@home, terri walsh