Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-14, 09:40 AM  
firmaholic

I have just recovered from a broken toe (fracture in 4 places!). It took 8 weeks, because all four were on the tip of my big toe. Being unable to do much of any kind of activity, and eating my feelings ,I have pu out on 6lbs and they don't want to budge...sigh. I really have to get serious about my food intake, as for me it is all about food. Any exercise will work, but food is key.
firmaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 12:53 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrH View Post
This may seem unlikely if you have no localized pain/swelling there but could this be a shortened Achilles tendon? When the tendon is short it will alter the forces going through your foot giving pain in the most random places. I have had this in my left foot for yrs (tendons are tough to lengthen). I've had pain on the inner side of my foot, my big toe and the latest has been a suspected 2nd metatarsal stress fracture! Ways to know:

Are your calf muscles tight and firm?
Have you worm lots of high shoes in the past (caused my prob)
Does adding an inch under the heel in your trainers help whatever is hurting?
And yep! Cycling is always fine! lol

Ask about this when you see the doc. I was lucky and got to see a physio who went on to work at the London Olympic games so I trust her!
Oh, thanks for this! I've had everything you listed, except the high shoes. I've never been able to wear heels, but adding a little lift in my trainers does help. I will ask the doc about the short Achilles. Thanks!
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 03:42 PM  
Getfit

I am 5 wks post op for an Achilles' tendon repair Hopefully, on Wednesday I can start weight bearing. I miss my hardcore workouts but I have been using my bike with the boot and several pilates DVDs. Today, I decided to try Omni since most of her exercises are done on the floor. I am also going to begin some barre exercises using the injured side. My right side is so much stronger since I am using a knee scorer. I decided once I am cleared my workouts will consist of swimming, cycling, pilates and barre type workouts. I am going to be kind to my body for 6 months.
Old 09-27-14, 03:48 PM  
bzbnmom

Well I guess I can share too. It's kind of a depressing thread though, isn't it? I'm sorry everyone is having all these problems and I hope recovery comes sooner than later for everyone.

Almost 4 months ago I tore my Achilles tendon. No high impact yet for another 2 months. I know this is going to take more time, but I feel like it's been long enough, haha! My back, hips, and both ankles hurt. I'm so tired all the time and I've gained weight, maybe 10 lbs, and it's hard to walk without shoes on.

I've been doing mainly 30-40 min workouts. I'm doing Body Beast upper body workouts (I've committed to doing this with my 16yo DS) and for lower body I do bodyweight/barre/fusion/yoga/stretch stuff, about 3-4x a week. No real cardio unless I take my bike out. I feel weak in the core and legs and unbalanced and tired. And somewhat unfocused and unmotivated, because I'm so tired!

The thing is - if I scale back on the workouts I'll get lazy with them and probably gain more weight, if I try to do more cardio I'll be exhausted and probably gain more weight. The weight gain is starting to bug me. Ok ok the bottom line is most likely that I need to focus on my eating and sleeping. {sigh} (Duh, and I needed to post this in order to realize that!)
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 03:55 PM  
bzbnmom

Getfit, sounds like you have a good plan. I went with non-surgery for my Achilles injury. The combination of cast then boot for 3 months left me unbalanced making my hips and back sore. Good luck with your recovery!
Old 09-27-14, 05:24 PM  
nd2325

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I've had many shoulder problems. Did the orthopedist do an MRI? I was diagnosed with a tear but the PT treated it as if it was frozen shoulder and I was better in a few months.

Not yet. He wants me to do 4 weeks of PT and then see how it is.
Old 09-27-14, 08:28 PM  
Getfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbnmom View Post
Getfit, sounds like you have a good plan. I went with non-surgery for my Achilles injury. The combination of cast then boot for 3 months left me unbalanced making my hips and back sore. Good luck with your recovery!
Thanks, I was hoping to avoid surgery but after the podiatrist saw the MRI, he felt my only option was surgery. is your tendon still tight and how long did it take you to have a normal gait?
Old 09-27-14, 10:29 PM  
bzbnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getfit View Post
Thanks, I was hoping to avoid surgery but after the podiatrist saw the MRI, he felt my only option was surgery. is your tendon still tight and how long did it take you to have a normal gait?
My tendon is a little tight. My walking is looking pretty normal now, as long as I'm not in a hurry. After getting the boot off a month ago, the walking part progress fairly quickly. My calf is still very weak --- I cannot go up on toes one-legged at all, I can do 2 legged calf raises though. Going downstairs first thing in the morning is really pathetic. I guess it will take time. Doc said everything should be back to normal at 6 months post injury. I have a full 2 months to go. We'll get there.
Old 09-27-14, 10:51 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbnmom View Post
My calf is very weak --- I cannot go up on toes one-legged at all, I can do 2 legged calf raises though.
It's funny you mentioned this specifically. This was the one exercise my doc really recommended for rebuilding ankle strength and flexibility, so I've been doing a lot of them this summer... a lot more, evidently, than I've ever had cause to do before! ...Because I have realized that while my ROM is pretty OK in the ankle I just sprained... it's practically nonexistent in the other one, which I injured severely in college and never received any rehab for. Apparently I've been overcompensating with my other leg while doing calf raises and releve, all this time. (And, also, thanks to the collective injury and anatomy knowledge of VF , I have come to realize that the chronic issues I have in the hip/knee on that side are probably entirely related to that original ankle injury all those years ago. *Sigh.*)

I'm going to put a plug in here for compression wear, for anybody with just sort of chronic achiness. The *only* reason I'm able to run, at all, with my cranky hip is my Undeararmour compression capris. I'm about to order a pair of full-length tights for winter. I also have compression gloves, for the tendonitis in my thumb , and a compression ankle brace (I have since junior high!). I actually wore the ankle brace (and not an Ace bandage) for my recent sprain, and it was perfect, since I was still weight bearing.
Old 09-28-14, 06:08 AM  
lorajc

Just one comment ....this is one of the reasons why it bothers me to see those threads with peeps saying.... oh....the workouts don't look hard enough...blah...blah blah..... look how many people are injured.......I personally don't think its good to do Balls to the Walls who's most of the time......Amen to that.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illness, injury, restarting, starting over