Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-14, 08:04 PM  
PrairieGem

WishIwas, I've had so many foot problems in the last four years, they're practically chronic! I have flat feet, a neuroma-thing, bad pinky-toe bunions, tendonitis, and even dealt with a short bout of PF, not to mention a sprained ankle! Can I trade in my feet for a different model?!

I had a peroneal tendon injury earlier in the summer, and it turned out to be caused/aggravated by too much/too aggressive support in my shoes and insoles! I have flat feet and I underpronate/supinate slightly (my feet tend to roll outward, not inward), and there was too much arch support--causing my foot to roll outward even more, putting pressure on the outside of my foot. This is a common problem, I guess, in flat-footed walkers/runners, and a fitness shoe industry that thinks more arch support is the answer to every foot problem. (It went away within a couple of weeks after I removed the fancy replacement insoles from my running shoes, and hasn't bothered me since.)

Have you read Katy Bowman's Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief? It won't replace your podiatrist, of course, but she has a lot of smart, sensible advice on rehabbing problem feet. I'm finding that I can keep most of my foot issues at bay with a mix of supportive-but-not-overly-supportive shoes, and barefoot workouts that target the feet/toes/ankles/calves (Classical Stretch has some great episodes, esp. in the current season, Season 10, and Bowman's book also has good exercises). I have *so far* managed to avoid a trip to the podiatrist and custom orthotics. (cross fingers!)

Good luck!!
Old 09-26-14, 08:22 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

PrairieGem,

Thanks so much for the info! I think I might have the opposite problem you have in that I have high arches and my feet are narrow, so I've always been told I need shoes with good arch support and that's what I try to wear, but I was on vacation recently and spent a lot of time barefoot on the beach so I'm thinking that might be what is causing my current problems, but I'm really not sure. I know the podiatrist is going to give me a lecture when I see him on Monday.

It's interesting you were able to figure out that you needed less support and not more. I have not read the Katy Bowman book so I just bought the e-book and will start reading ASAP! I've never tried Classical Stretch but I will look into it. Thanks again.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 08:31 PM  
nd2325

I have been dealing with a shoulder issue for about 5 months. finally went to an orthopedic who said i had a frozen shoulder and needed PT. Now the people at PT say it isn't a frozen shoudler- they think it is tendonitis or a tear. Meanwhile there are days where I can barely move my arm.
Old 09-26-14, 09:05 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2325 View Post
I have been dealing with a shoulder issue for about 5 months. finally went to an orthopedic who said i had a frozen shoulder and needed PT. Now the people at PT say it isn't a frozen shoudler- they think it is tendonitis or a tear. Meanwhile there are days where I can barely move my arm.
I've had many shoulder problems. Did the orthopedist do an MRI? I was diagnosed with a tear but the PT treated it as if it was frozen shoulder and I was better in a few months.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 04:39 AM  
DrH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I've been dealing with recurring foot injuries and it's so frustrating, especially since I can never trace them to anything. I'm going to the podiatrist on Monday, but in the past few years I've had: plantar fasciitis twice, tendonitis in the peroneal tendon, a stress fracture last summer and now I have something wrong with my ankle. I can never get too far into any workout program before I have to stop and deal with a foot problem, so I'm thinking something is wrong somewhere. Hopefully the podiatrist or my primary doctor can figure it out. But I am grateful that at least I can still ride my stationary bike so I can get some cardio that way.

Best wishes to everyone who has challenges to deal with.
This may seem unlikely if you have no localized pain/swelling there but could this be a shortened Achilles tendon? When the tendon is short it will alter the forces going through your foot giving pain in the most random places. I have had this in my left foot for yrs (tendons are tough to lengthen). I've had pain on the inner side of my foot, my big toe and the latest has been a suspected 2nd metatarsal stress fracture! Ways to know:

Are your calf muscles tight and firm?
Have you worm lots of high shoes in the past (caused my prob)
Does adding an inch under the heel in your trainers help whatever is hurting?
And yep! Cycling is always fine! lol

Ask about this when you see the doc. I was lucky and got to see a physio who went on to work at the London Olympic games so I trust her!
DrH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 05:06 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Ugh, Sherri, so miserable! My grandmother had shingles and I remember she was in so much pain! I think I contracted hand, foot and mouth this summer (not certain since I self-diagnosed) but it was such a weird malady and went on for weeks. I'll agree that it's good to hang on to workouts of all levels.

I'd say just do something easy and fun and relaxing at times like these. Your body is still healing.

And for those struggling with foot issues, I'll give my regular plug for barre workouts! I found them so helpful when dealing with residual PF issues! And I love Katy Bowman's book, too.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 05:54 AM  
lorajc

MOI ---many of you may have remembered my injury threads....its been one after another....I was accident prone as a child but I'm no longer young and this is ridic?

Starteted out with a couple stress fx in my feet ...then I fell using my TRX and had a Colles fx to my wrist and had metal plate and screw fixation.....then I broke my foot and ankle and was on crutches and in boot for 4 months?...........then. I fell off the couch ....standind while getting the blinds away from new kitty and fx a rib and then 2 days ago I jumped off my Rebounder and was going to get back on and my foot got caught on the side .....huge scrape all up my leg, fell on my bad rest and my entire chest landed with a LARGE thump on the opposite of the
rebounder.......I'm in so much pain in my ribs and chest I can't believe it.............I'm so mad at myself.
I'm leaving out how I work out around chronic pain from bulging/her discs, with migraines and constant foot problems both with a bunion I constantly get injected , PF injections and cortz in for my ankle that healed with a floating bone fragment........but I think of all of that as normal....and my BIG injuries as the problem for now.

Yes....good thing I'm a hoarder and have kept different DVDs to do.

All I do is modify.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 06:50 AM  
Footballnut

I just saw that Jill Miller's On Demand Pain Relief 2 DVD set is the deal of the day today on Total Fitness. I have sciatica (I think from IT band syndrome), PF, TMJ and carpal tunnel syndrome. Guess who jumped on this deal? THIS girl did!

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Jil...-Set-p/379.htm
Old 09-27-14, 07:38 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Sending healing hugs to all of us!

I've had a series of niggling injuries, one after the other. In the early spring I strained a muscle in my rotator cuff; decided to do a one-month lower-body challenge while that healed and managed to develop tendonitis in a toe joint and mess up my big toe joint as well. My PF flared up while I was treating the tendonitis. Now, due to life stress I've been sleeping in a clenched little ball at night and have tenderness in both shoulders AND swollen joints in both my pointer fingers (I'm making fists while I sleep, ack). None of this is disabling, except the PF when it's in full bloom, but I have to think about every move: how to walk without rolling through the ball of my foot too much, how to modify the heck out of every upper body move that might irritate my shoulders, how to grip a dumbbell without my fingers going "ouch!" Also on the calendar is a big dental surgery in early October and an abdominal laparoscopic surgery before the end of the year as well, oh joy.
Old 09-27-14, 09:39 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sorry that so many people are suffering!

I've had a tough few months myself. Dental problems? I've got them! During the month of July, I was at the dentist EVERY week (and most weeks in August, too): I had two separate cracked teeth that were filled (and will hopefully hold, although my face swelled up after the first procedure), and then a third that was supposed to be a root canal but turned into that tooth having to be pulled. An implant is pending.

On top of that, I have chronic migraines, although luckily those have been better since I started Botox treatments last January (although I was hit with a whopper over the past couple of days out of the blue). And then I've been dealing with chronic pain in my neck/shoulder that is a likely strain (so the orthopedist told me earlier this month) related to mouse use and other activities with my dominant arm, so now I need to make sure I spend time every day stretching my neck & shoulders. (I've already been to PT for this issue in the past, so I know the stretches, I just need to do them.) And work is crazy stressful right now!

Anyway, I have still been exercising virtually every day. However, I've definitely been giving myself a break about WHAT I do. If I don't feel up to more hard-core cardio, I've been riding my recumbent bike more. I have a lot of yoga--including Jill Miller's On Demand Pain Relief/Massage Therapy Kit, which I use often--so there are plenty of "yoga only" or Classical Stretch only days. I haven't been doing as much strength weight than usual, or when I have, even though I'm using my usual workouts (e.g., KCM), I'm going lighter on the weights. Or, I'll do more on days when I'm feeling up to it, less when I'm not.

For me, the current situation is ongoing (less because of the physical issues and more because of the work stress). As always, you need to listen to your body!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illness, injury, restarting, starting over