Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-14, 02:24 PM  
flamingoo

I need Diastasis Recti help:(

I've never been formally diagnosed with it( diagnosed myself), but I kind of just swept it under the rug like no big deal! Well, it's gotten worse. I love doing ab work, but realizing it's not doing anything good for me. Infact when I'm in certain positions part of my stomach pokes out and looks really gross. It was so bad I thought I had a hernia. So does this mean I can't do anything? No Essentrics or c-curve? No TA? I know it seems silly that I'm so bummed, but was really starting to like ab workouts It seems weird to me that this is really surfacing 4 years after my c section, but then again I'm more fit now as well.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 02:42 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Check out Lindsay Brin. She has some good youtube videos on DR.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 03:30 PM  
bubbles76

Maybe you should get formally diagnosed first before you get upset. It could be something else. That being said, I believe CristinaLatina has experience with this. You should PM her Or maybe she will check in here.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 05:01 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Maybe you should get formally diagnosed first before you get upset. It could be something else. That being said, I believe CristinaLatina has experience with this. You should PM her Or maybe she will check in here.

I do have a bunch of crap going on with be right now and do agree with what you said. I did the " test" where you put fingers in the hollow of your stomach. I totally passed that test, but have a weird bulge when I do certain moves. I had a CT scan a month ago so no hernia. Just very weird
Old 07-25-14, 08:00 PM  
CatInTheHat

Omg. Okay, come sit by me. I have this issue too. I had a c-section with my first 2 years ago, and I have this lump that comes up in the middle of my stomach, but a few inches above my belly button. I did the finger test just above my belly button and I only had 1 finger separation.

Cut to this week. I had my 2nd baby 2 weeks ago and I just started doing Pilates and some lifting this week since I feel on the mend. Thankfully no c-section for this one, but seriously, that lump is still there in the middle of my stomach, right where 6 pack abs would start, IF I had 6 pack abs. I did the finger test, STILL just 1 finger fits between my muscles, so I'm seriously shaking my head over here. My OB said it was diastasis Recti, but jeez, maybe my abs separated higher than the belly button area?

On the Lindsay Brin front, I did this video twice this week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxz0...ature=youtu.be
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 08:39 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat View Post
Omg. Okay, come sit by me. I have this issue too. I had a c-section with my first 2 years ago, and I have this lump that comes up in the middle of my stomach, but a few inches above my belly button. I did the finger test just above my belly button and I only had 1 finger separation.

Cut to this week. I had my 2nd baby 2 weeks ago and I just started doing Pilates and some lifting this week since I feel on the mend. Thankfully no c-section for this one, but seriously, that lump is still there in the middle of my stomach, right where 6 pack abs would start, IF I had 6 pack abs. I did the finger test, STILL just 1 finger fits between my muscles, so I'm seriously shaking my head over here. My OB said it was diastasis Recti, but jeez, maybe my abs separated higher than the belly button area?

On the Lindsay Brin front, I did this video twice this week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxz0...ature=youtu.be

I would love to sit by you How weird. So I'm not going crazy. Did your o.b say why? I wonder if it has anything to do with the baby placement while pregnant( reaching here I know) I'm wondering if it's too late for me( my youngest is now 4) Should I stop doing regular ab exercises?
Old 07-25-14, 09:01 PM  
hotncmom

Where do you live? You could find a person trained in Restorative Exercise in your area. I know Katy Bowman is considered an expert on PF disorders and diastasis recti. I read her blog a lot and there is a lot that goes into DR - alignment of the ribs and pelvis, pressure in the abdominal cavity, breathing, etc. It's not just like do this exercise and it will fix you up. It's more like here's what you're doing all the time without realizing it that's creating the DR.

http://www.restorativeexercise.com/o...ram-graduates/
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 09:18 PM  
kathcan

I think Barre3 has great transverse abdominal exercises for diastasis (they also help with prolapse and other post partum issues.)

I have closed my diastasis from 3 down to less than a one and only at the belly button at that. Once you know the mechanics of activating the transverse, I find that I can adapt almost any exercise to help my stomach.

Your abs can definitely separate higher than the belly button, so Cat- that could be it. Mine were three fingers from my pubic bone to my rib cage for a few months postpartum.
kathcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-14, 07:53 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathcan View Post
Your abs can definitely separate higher than the belly button, so Cat- that could be it. Mine were three fingers from my pubic bone to my rib cage for a few months postpartum.
Yeah, this is correct. I was taught to test for diastasis in three areas: at, below, and above the navel. Up to two fingerwidths is considered normal. The muscle you want to focus on for recovery is the transverse abdominus; if you like pilates, that is not a bad place to go, although there's nothing magic about it in particular. Any transversus strengthening exercises will do. However if it is not DR it is not a musculoskeletal issue and exercise probably won't "fix" it. Or, if there is an actual tear and not just a weakness... again, not going to be fixed with exercise.

Have you had any of your C-section scars addressed? Sometimes they can cause adhesions and that might lead to some weirdness. If you are really stuck, try going to a physical therapist instead of an OB. OBs are trained to look at the organs, not the muscles, so a PT can give you some insights the OB can't (and, of course, vice versa).

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-14, 02:10 PM  
CatInTheHat

My OB didn't even look at it, she just sort of waved it off as DR. In my first pregnancy I did have some sort of muscle tear, I had about 5 days of excruciating pain that no one could figure out and it finally went away. I couldn't roll over or stand up without a flooding pain to my belly button and then so painful I would see stars. My Sis-in-Law is an OB/GYN nurse, she said it sounds like I was going to have a tear, and that once the muscle tore the pain would be done. It was. And my OB said at the time if I ended up with a c-section to ask them to repair it at that time, but the c was misery and I was half knocked out and really could not have given a you know what at that time about my muscles. Ha ha.

Anyway, I checked for a separation higher just under my chest where that hump shows up, and it still feels like 1 finger separation. So odd!

I did stop doing push ups because that's the one thing that really seems to make it pronounced, and haven't gotten back to regular ab work yet. I do like that Lindsay Brin video I posted upthread, it forces me to flex those deep core muscles and figure out where they are.
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diastasis recti, prolapse