Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-14, 02:35 PM  
momofcha

Cheryl - I was able to skip through all the beginning stuff & get right to the workout. On buns anyway.

Can't wait to do drench tomorrow.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 03:09 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
Cheryl - I was able to skip through all the beginning stuff & get right to the workout. On buns anyway.

Can't wait to do drench tomorrow.
Hmmm. I tried but couldn't on one of them. It must have been the Drench one that is the one that is messed up.

Cheryl
Old 06-26-14, 03:40 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Here's my review of PiYo Sweat.

The clock starts at 36:18. The workout is broken down into segments, the first is the warm up. This segment is about 4:30 minutes long and consists of sun salutations, chair to lunge pose, PiYo side steps, and other warm up moves.

The second segment works a lot of lunge type moves. An example of a sequence of moves would include low lunge, to standing knee lifts, to warrior 3, to low lunge up and down, to chair. In all the segments piece of a sequence get introduced and by the end you are doing the whole sequence. In this workout you'd do the sequence first on the right the whole way through, then start on the left side.

The third segment focused more on balancing moves and some core work. An example of a flow was standing splits, to plank with leg raise, to plank with knee in with side kick, to chatarangua, to down dog, and the curl up to standing. I liked this segment a lot. Fair warning, you are in plank or down dog almost the entire time and it can feel tough on the wrists.

The fourth segment was called the Power segment. There were a lot of plie squats. This section had some impact in that you had the option of going from a deep plie and kind of hopping up onto the toes on the up portion of the move. This section also had some slow burpees in it.

The final section was the strength/stretch portion. This section included sun salutations with push up variations sprinkled in at various points. In all I think there were 6 sets of 8 push ups. The end was a little weird in that you finished the last set of push ups then went into child's pose and that was the end of the workout.

Overall Impressions. I am not a yoga or pilates person so I appreciated that this workout was not typical of either genre. It felt like Chalene was trying to create the vibe of athletic yoga without all the mysticism in traditional yoga. She gave a lot of form pointers throughout and encouraged the viewer to try their best and have fun. I did actually work up a sweat during the workout as the sequences do go fairly quickly (although never a feeling of being out of control). But this was not a super taxing workout. I consider myself a low advanced exerciser and I would say that this workout is probably intermediate as demonstrated by Chalene although I'm sure those in the know could make it harder if needed. The modifier was always on screen and used a chair in a couple of section to aid with balance and make some of the moves easier (hands on the chair vs. on the floor). What I liked best about this workout is that it doesn't have the feel of a typical yoga workout and it was a great length in terms of time. Since I'm not a fan of yoga or pilates I liked that I got in a good workout without committing a ton of time.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 03:57 PM  
edensmom

Ok, I did Drench.

Like Debbie said, the workout is divided into clearly defined segments. It is super choreographed so it is easy to catch on to what will come next. I can't remember what immediately followed the warm-up (though she says to do the tricep pushups on your knees as we are still warming up.) It was a lot like what Sabine described from the second segment of Sweat. There were Sun sals here. Legs follows and it is lunges and squats. Upper body & core then Power which is more cardio. The flow section felt a little repetitive to me because you stay on one side for something like 7 mins. I really liked it though because you get to doWild Thing (the yoga pose). Last is Stretch & strength. You do some pushups and stretching here.

I sweated like crazy. I had to towel off a couple times. I really felt it in my arms, shoulders, abs. I liked it a lot! More than I expected to in fact. I would rate it on the higher end of
intermediate but not quite advanced.

I have never worked out with Chalene before. I like her.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 04:02 PM  
bzbnmom

Sabine, thank you for your review. I was wondering if someone could compare Piyo to Ultimate Yogi as far as intensity and perhaps cardio factor.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 04:05 PM  
alisoncooks

I'm really enjoying the reviews of these!
I think I will try and work my way up to ordering these in September for my birthday! Maybe I'll be ready for it by then.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 06:44 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I just finished Drench---it's the first one I've done. I didn't watch or do Align--the "fundamentals" workout, since I really didn't have the time to do both.

Here are my first impressions:

The good: clearly defined segments, excellent cuing (IMHO), good flow. The time passed quickly. Chalene was natural, very little of the "too cool for school" attitude that bothered me a bit in TurboFire. She looks great.

The not-so-good: a little too much wooing at the beginning. I didn't notice this after the first 10 minutes so either I was working too hard or it stopped. That's really nitpicky, and it's the only thing "negative" that I have to say.

It really does remind me of Michelle Dozois' Bodyfit360, and I was hoping it would since I love that workout. There are several moves that appear in both with a little variation. That's a good thing for me since it meant I didn't have such a strong learning curve in Drench.

I got a good, solid workout. I am anxious to try the others, probably in combination with some of my other favorites.

ETA: Chalene has one participant doing modifications, so I think that even those who aren't familiar at all with yoga, pilates, or who aren't as flexible would be able to do this workout. This falls under the "good" category.

Last edited by cataddict; 06-26-14 at 06:46 PM. Reason: adding one point
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 06:49 PM  
princess76

Do they wear shoes in these? Do they use yoga mats?
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 07:11 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess76 View Post
In Strength Intervals they wear shoes. The others I watched used bare feet + yoga mat.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 07:14 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess76 View Post
Buns did - but I did it barefoot with no problem.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chalene johnson, mirror cueing yoga, piyo, piyo reviews