Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-14, 04:49 PM  
PrairieGem

Custom orthotics?

(Can you believe, there's only one thread tagged orthotics, and it's from 2010?)

I'm interested in hearing from people who have custom orthotics--either prescription or OTC. What conditions did you need them for? How do you like them? Etc.

Back in January, my doctor recommended that I try some. She said she could either refer me to a podiatrist so I could get prescription ones (covered by insurance), or try one of the places like the Good Feet Store (I think?). I have flat feet ("Wow, flat flat," in the professional opinion of my doctor. ) and am dealing with my second minor foot injury of the year (first was an inflamed bunion; this is a bruise-y tendon thing), both from running. I wear good shoes--New Balance--with Orthaheel inserts, but I wonder if I need something more.

(FWIW, I've read Katy Bowman's book, Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief, and I really like her recommendations and exercises. Alas, she couldn't do much for wide, flat, and runs-on-them. )

Thanks!!
Old 05-25-14, 05:03 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I got custom orthotics from a podiatrist when I was having problems with plantar fasciitis about 5 years ago. I no longer need them so I haven't worn them lately,but they did help at the time. It sounds like you have a completely different issue, but I'd go with the ones from a podiatrist. He/she will make a mold of your feet so they'll be a perfect fit. Just make sure you mention you are a runner because they have different types of orthotics.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 05:25 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I had them custom made when I had PF. I still wear them -- only in my exercise shoes. The PF did go away, although I don't think the orthotics made a difference. I only had pain when getting out of bed in the morning. Anyway, the PF came back, though not as bad...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 05:26 PM  
DeepSeaSue

I got custom orthotics from a podiatrist about two years ago due to PF, knee pain and back pain. The took a loooong time to get used to but they really did help. My PF is totally gone and I notice a big difference when I wear other shoes.
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 05:38 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have had custom orthotics and liked them. The last time I saw a podiatrist he recommended the green Superfeet inserts and they have worked well for me.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 05:43 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

A podiatrist made custom orthotics for me 13 years ago and I still wear them everyday. A few 1-minute treatments with a red light laser took away the PF pain. I can't say that for the orthotics. I could probably stop wearing them but they've been with me so long, I'd miss them.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 05:50 PM  
Vantreesta

I'm on the other side and found my custom orthotics useless. I got them from my chiropractor, and they were the kind where they take a mold of your foot, so the same you would get from a podiatrist. I had PF that did not present classically in that I did not have pain in the morning but intense, sometimes unbearable pain in my heels after standing at work, even in the best supportive shoes. Everyone swore they would help. I did as directed and worked up to wearing them. Walked the dogs a mile in them and had to foam roll for 45 minutes after bc my whole lower body ached. They eventually got better in that regard but they never helped my feet. I made him send them back bc the whole problem was heel pain and they had no heel cushion. Seriously?? Even when I got them back after they adjusted that they still did not feel like the had cushion. I was trying to get away from feeling like I was walking on cement! They were the biggest waste of $200 for me. I found so much more relief with the $8-12 Dr Scholl's heel pain inserts for PF. My PF still did not go away, though, until I reduced my hours working at the coffee shop. I also swear by Jill Miller's feet and ankle quick fixes on her Yoga Tune Up Lower Body Series and also found Katy Santiago (Bowman) foot pain relief DVD with dome to be very helpful for strengthening my arches. I still do these. Hope you find smthg to help!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 05:55 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I'm on the other side and found my custom orthotics useless.
I actually liked the Superfeet better than the custom orthotics. Honestly though most of my workouts are barefoot and that has helped immensely with foot pain. My brother is a podiatrist and his recommendations have never helped me...go figure!

Jill Miller has the best foot practice with her Yoga Tune Up Balls...although I use Pinky balls. The wall sequence for feet on her "On Demand Pain Relief" is worth the cost of the dvd just for that segment.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 06:55 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I'm starting my post with the caveat that my experience with custom orthotics is dated. Maybe things have improved since then.

I got custom made orthotics in my teen years as I have flat feet and doing PE was really painful for my feet, ankles, knees, and hips. I would get severe, jarring pains whenever I did any jumping movements.

I had the orthotics made by a podiatrist and they were the hard plastic kind. I had a horrible experience with them. Despite following all the instructions on how to build up my tolerance to them they gave me massive blisters in my arches (which granted are non-existent). Even with band-aids, mole skin, thicker socks, I could not stop the blisters from forming. One blister was so bad that it became infected and I needed antibiotics and was put on crutches for two weeks until it fully healed. After that I never wore them again.

I switch out the inserts in my athletic shoes with Spenco insoles and those have made a positive difference in my workouts.

Good luck whatever you decide. Flat feet can be really painful.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 07:16 PM  
Vantreesta

Jackie, my doctor had me put a pair of Superfeet in my shoes and I found they didn't have any more cushion than my shoes did (I have found Skechers Shape Up SSR Resistance Runners to have the best chshion of any shoes I've tried). I think it may be bc I needed more cushion more than I needed more support, if that makes sense. But at the same time, I found shoes very painful when I worked out so even though my doctor yelled at me bc "people with PF should never be barefoot" I do all my workouts except running and plyos barefoot. All my other cardio I do barefoot. Actually, even if plyos are interspersed like in TurboFire I go barefoot. I agree, it has helped a great deal. It seems to go back to one size does NOT fit all!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot pain, orthotics