Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-14, 10:07 AM  
Tripmom

I had triplets at 38. While I delivered early and thus didn't get as big as some triplet moms..2 years later I was wearing a bikini and most people say you would never guess I had triplets. It wasn't easy and it took me almost a year to lose the weight. But I think a lot of this was because I was so frazzled with three infants that it was difficult to stay on a good eating plan or exercise at all. The triplets are now 4 and I am leaner than before I got pregnant. I do think it I now require a little more ab work to keep things looking good there but it is doable.
Tripmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 10:35 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

My youngest was born 1 month before I turned 41, and I took the weight off, and more, within a year by playing Dance Dance Revolution and lifting weights.

Taking menopause weight off was MUCH harder, mainly because of what it did to my appetite and energy. But I'm on my way back down, by being mindful of portions and moving around, and sticking with the weights.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 02:12 PM  
neatski

This thread is so inspiring to me. One of the reasons I chose to become a single mom is that I was 28 when I became pregnant by Mr. Wrong, and I knew it could be several years or more before I met Mr. Right. Not only was I completely in love with Lil Neatski from the day I found out, I knew that fertility declines with age and there was no way to know if this was my only chance. My boss at my old job was 36 and had 5 miscarriages in one year. I don't regret it, as hard as it was to go through pregnancy alone and now to be a full-time working single mom. It has made me very sad to think that I will not have time to have more kids (who knows if I'll meet the right guy in time, especially now that he has to be good enough for my daughter as well, and after the hell that Mr. Wrong put me through). This thread reminds me that I probably still have some time.

Jackie, I had no idea that you had ALL FOUR of yours after 30! That is amazing!

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 02:26 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

What is interesting is that my doctor feels that the "advanced maternal age" idea is a bit of a fallacy. She said that having your first at a later age may be cause for concern but if you've had children it is less of a concern. She also said that as far as birth defects, miscarriages, well, bad things....they happen at all ages. I did have two miscarriages interspersed between my pregnancies.

I have several friends that have had babies after the age of 45...normal, healthy pregnancies and deliveries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post

Jackie, I had no idea that you had ALL FOUR of yours after 30! That is amazing!
Eh, it's not so amazing. My last baby was my surprise baby girl. I wouldn't trade her for anything!

When we come back to Orlando, I'd really like to meet you and your daughter!

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 02:32 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
What is interesting is that my doctor feels that the "advanced maternal age" idea is a bit of a fallacy. She said that having your first at a later age may be cause for concern but if you've had children it is less of a concern. She also said that as far as birth defects, miscarriages, well, bad things....they happen at all ages. I did have two miscarriages interspersed between my pregnancies.

When we come back to Orlando, I'd really like to meet you and your daughter!
I think your doctor is right about that. I read a very interesting article (I think it was in the Atlantic?) that said that when you conceive/have your first child at a "younger" age, that statistically evens out the playing field as far as your chances of having a healthy pregnancy later on. But... it's not always the case.

Yes, I really wish I could have met you last time! It was the worst timing ever, because I was just going back to work post maternity leave, Lil Neatski was only 8 weeks old, and things were ridiculously hectic. Of course you must let me know when you're back.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 04:09 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Triplets!!!!!!!!!!!! Just thinking about that option makes me tired.
This thread has some extemely cute babies & little kids on it, BTW.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 06:06 PM  
cristinalatina

I don't share your experience since I got pregnant at 30, but I tend to gain weight easily, and still I don't feel that pregnancy has ruined my body, despite carrying a few pounds more than pre-pregnancy, I still wear the same size. One thing that helped tremendously was the belly bandit (a belly binder). I mention it to every mom to be as it's so effective!
Old 02-02-14, 06:35 PM  
andtckrtoo

I had my daughter when I was 28. She's now 21. I have friends who have had babies in their 40's and snapped right back. I didn't in my 20's. I'm just not built that way. My body LOVES fat and loves to hang on to it.

That being said, I read this blog the other day. It definitely gives a different and beautiful perspective: http://weseekjoy.blogspot.com/2013/1...odies.html?m=1
Old 02-03-14, 01:18 AM  
JulieIL

Just a quick note to lend support and reassurance for having a baby later. I had my sons in my late 20s, so I'm no help with the getting back in shape concerns, though I have had numerous friends who have had their babies "later" & most bounced back quickly, others didn't (just as mothers who have babies at younger ages). I would say your chances of regaining your fitness level will be helped greatly by remaining appropriately active (per MD recommendations, of course).

I was prompted to respond to encourage you to really follow your heart on this one: if you feel you may regret not doing this, & DH is on board, I would strongly encourage you to proceed. Honestly, this is a tough subject for me because I am torn by being so grateful for my precious teen sons, yet never really getting over- or even accepting- that I will have no more children. It is painful enough for me & I was fortunate to have my wonderful boys- if you are feeling strongly about this now, you have to really listen to yourself & determine if you will truly regret not taking this chance. The older I get & my boys get, the more I realize that, if having children is your passion and calling, this is what will keep you happy & satisfied as you grow older. Money & material things are incredibly overrated. Whatever your passion is (including raising children, or achieving x success at work, or traveling, or volunteering, or raising furry kids, etc), this is truly what is important.

Good luck!
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 08:14 AM  
jackie7

I miscarried at 28! Had ds1 at 32 and ds2 at 37. The interesting thing is that I had fibroids and endometriosis but became pregnant the first month I tried both times. My sister married at 40 and had a miss and a tubal pregnancy before they discovered that she was low on progesterone. She never became pregnant again but adopted a son and daughter!

You just never know.
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prolapse