Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-12, 08:59 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I only have the original Ripped now but it's one of my all time favorite workouts. I haven't done it in years though, should really pull it out again. It's a little longer than what I generally reach for these days, but it's a great intermediate level workout with absolutely no dread factor at all.

I used to have Slim and Lean, Ripped 1000 and Ripped to the Core. They were tough for me with all those reps and I just dreaded them each time I did them, so out they went. I ordered Lean Machine last year but never tried it and I parted with it anyway.

For me...Ripped is just right.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 09:25 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
I used to have Slim and Lean, Ripped 1000 and Ripped to the Core. They were tough for me with all those reps and I just dreaded them each time I did them, so out they went.
Is it wrong for me to admit that these are all tough for me too, but that I modify by skipping/subbing exercises, lightening weights and taking breaks (or just pushing FF)?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 09:33 PM  
dls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Deb, in all honesty it's been a couple of years since I've used Jari workouts on any kind of a regular basis (and I can just imagine the bod I might be sporting now had I not stopped! ), so I can't remember which were my favorites. I liked Ripped to the Core just fine. And I remember thinking R+Chiseled was upper body overkill and R1000 was insanely hard, lol, but oh that Gaylene!!
Thank you Gina,

I just finished watching all the clips on Collage Video because I am to tired to walk up stairs and pop them in the dvd player, pretty sad huh. I think I will enjoy slim and lean and get ripped to the core the best. I want to do her weight workouts that do total body. Gaylene is very motivating. I am 50+ and it is nice to see someone my age in such great shape. You have been a big help.

Thank you so much,

Deb
dls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 12:03 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

You're welcome, Deb. Slim & Lean and Ripped to the Core are both excellent videos and will work you very well.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 07:53 PM  
lotusgirl

I know this is an older thread, but I'm new fan of Jari's, so I did a search and found it.

There are so many good comments in this thread. I bought both sets of Ripped on Sunday from Mary (I'm learning your lingo), thanks to txfitmom's telling me about the sale (I think that's her name), and am working my way through the DVDs.

RTTC was great. I know others have said it's too slow, but after a long day at work, it was perfect. I was able to do the entire DVD, which shocked me. I love the fact that most sections are five-minutes each; that works extremely well for me.

Today I did Lean & Slim and surprised that I was able to do the entire DVD. I did things in a different order though, doing lower body and then upper body. I did the push up section last, right before the stretch because I have lost SO MUCH upper body strength from my shoulder injury. I'm also doing lighter weights, 2-, 3- and 5- dumbbells. However, today was the first day that I've consistently used 5 pounds, which is a big deal for me right now.

I look forward to doing one of the DVDs that feature Gaylene since I'm 47 and people keep raving about her!

I would love to hear from others who have successfully used Jari's DVDs. I'm hoping that these will get me strong, fit, defined and lean through regular use!
Old 05-26-12, 12:14 AM  
txfitmom

Glad to be an enabler! I love my Jari workouts, but I have been distracted with so many other workouts lately. I have been thinking about coming back to them for another rotation. When I did an official Jari rotation over six months ago, cannot remember when it was, I don't think I dropped any significant weight, but I did gain a lot of strength. Sometimes my body is just stubborn and does not want to lose weight, so not sure if it was the workouts or just bad timing. I probably need to try them again.

I started with very light weights when I first started Jari workouts (felt like a complete wiimp), and I would look on the screen and see what Jari and her crew were doing and think I will never be that strong, but I did progress during the short time I used her workouts. Since I have not done them in a while, not sure where I would be now. I have weak shoulders so I find for certain exercises I always had to take it down a couple of notches.

Funny little tidbit, I started a Jari Love check-in way back when I was doing the rotation, but abandoned it when I got busy with school and was distracted with my other workouts...the check-in is still going strong to this day, although I think they are doing a lot of other workouts other than just Jari Love. I should start a Jari Love 2 check-in!!
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 04:31 AM  
CarlaShanti

I like Jari's earlier workouts better than the Extremely series she has done, with the darker sets.

Two caveats for Jari. Some people think that she overworks the shoulders, me included. And for me, the high rep chest presses on the floor do not work for me, because they cause my hands to hurt intensely. I have tried everything to alleviate that, but to no avail. So I have to keep alternating a set of chest presses with a quick flip over to do press ups instead. Which is a bit inconvenient. Alternately I suppose you could lift heavier weights and do half the reps, if you have the hand issue. I know at least one other person on here had it, too. Can't remember who, though!
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 06:59 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Is it wrong for me to admit that these are all tough for me too, but that I modify by skipping/subbing exercises, lightening weights and taking breaks (or just pushing FF)?
No...not at all! I used to take lots of breaks with these, probably too many. My endurance was weak then, I can't imagine how bad it is now. I am so hopelessly out of shape.

No doubt, I am sure these workouts are very effective but they simply had too much dread factor for me, Slim/Lean, Ripped to the Core, Ripped 1000. I nearly bought Ripped/Chiseled but ended up passing on it. Probably a smart move on my part. The original Ripped is the exception though, I clicked with that one immediately and it's one of my all time favorites.

It was a tough realization though, because I really like Jari. But what can you do...if it has any dread factor I get rid of it. I need to do workouts that I enjoy, otherwise I won't do them at all.

BTW...I must have missed this post earlier...sorry about that!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 12:28 PM  
lotusgirl

CarlaShanti, that's good to know about the shoulder work.

I've noticed that Jackie Warner does a lot of shoulder work, too. I'm not knowledgeable enough about shoulders to know why shoulders are worked so hard. Is it the vanity factor for sleeveless tops? Or is it beneficial for the upper body as a whole?

I'm fairly certain my shoulder injury was the result of a combination of things, with a "straw that broke the camel's back" culminating event. This has been a huge learning lesson for me, so am thrilled to be using 2 pound weights for shoulder work since I couldn't do even that six months ago.
Old 05-26-12, 07:56 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusgirl View Post
CarlaShanti, that's good to know about the shoulder work.

I've noticed that Jackie Warner does a lot of shoulder work, too. I'm not knowledgeable enough about shoulders to know why shoulders are worked so hard. Is it the vanity factor for sleeveless tops? Or is it beneficial for the upper body as a whole?

I'm fairly certain my shoulder injury was the result of a combination of things, with a "straw that broke the camel's back" culminating event. This has been a huge learning lesson for me, so am thrilled to be using 2 pound weights for shoulder work since I couldn't do even that six months ago.
My shoulders are really bad and with Jari's workouts, I use 2 lbs as well. Anything more than that and I am in serious trouble.

As a side note as to what others are saying, I like the Extremely Ripped series more. It has more options and the length or the workouts fits into any schedule. I liked her original workouts, but I cannot find the time for 60 minutes anymore and I am not the type of person that will split a 60 minute workout into 2 workouts. My personal favorites are Body Rock and Ex Ripped.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jari love, jari love rotation, jari love success, plateau, ripped to the core, success stories