Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-10, 01:46 PM  
horsemom2

I have noticed that people in *after* photos get an automatic tan.

Barb S
who is more interested in which tanning product was used
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 01:49 PM  
Mary09(b)

In all before pics they have bad posture, bad lighting, bad hair, bad clothes, a frown and pasty skin.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 01:49 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhousegirl View Post
I agree..it's all about staging. Take a photo of me in the morning, no make-up, hair mussed and then give me a make-over. It would be incredible. Also baggy clothes vs. more fitted clothing.
And how you stand--Teresa Tapp teaches how to stand, how to hold your upper body, lower body, arms, hands, etc. to be photographed at your most lovely and most svelte self

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhousegirl View Post
I never believe the testamonials but I still love infomercials!
me too. it's an addiction that has paid off in better health, though (nuwave oven, magic bullet, fluidity bar, malibu pilates chair)
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 01:57 PM  
TexasMama

In the case of the Beachbody infomercials (haven't seen the Turbofire, so can't comment on that specifically), I often wonder how many of the people giving their miraculous testimonials are also coaches. I know that the one guy on the current P90X commercial (who went from morbidly obese to 7% body fat doing five rounds of P90X) is a coach. No offense to those out there who might be Beachbody coaches, but I think giving a glowing testimonial about a product you're actually trying to sell makes for a little less credibility, IMO.

A pedestrian is a man in danger of his life. A walker is a man in possession of his soul. -- David Mccord
TexasMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 01:57 PM  
steakhousegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
And how you stand--Teresa Tapp teaches how to stand, how to hold your upper body, lower body, arms, hands, etc. to be photographed at your most lovely and most svelte self

me too. it's an addiction that has paid off in better health, though (nuwave oven, magic bullet, fluidity bar, malibu pilates chair)

I will say that I believe testamonials from the shopping channels a bit more especially when I can see how something works "live". I bought a few Wolfgang Puck pieces as Xmas gifts this year and the recipients raved! But the "I transformed my body in 3 mths. " spiels not so much..

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 01:58 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

When my life story is cast for Lifetime TV (and admit it, with the proliferation of channels, at sometime someone is going to have to do the life story of a person who cleans toilets on a Friday night), I want the casting crew from "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" to find my doppelganger because they have the best looking doubles of any "reality/documentary" I have ever seen.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 02:07 PM  
muddjeansgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMama View Post
In the case of the Beachbody infomercials (haven't seen the Turbofire, so can't comment on that specifically), I often wonder how many of the people giving their miraculous testimonials are also coaches. I know that the one guy on the current P90X commercial (who went from morbidly obese to 7% body fat doing five rounds of P90X) is a coach. No offense to those out there who might be Beachbody coaches, but I think giving a glowing testimonial about a product you're actually trying to sell makes for a little less credibility, IMO.
That's what I am finding a little frustrating with things like Sparkpeople, Facebook and Youtube. It is mostly coaches trying to get me to buy the product.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 02:11 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
And how you stand--Teresa Tapp teaches how to stand, how to hold your upper body, lower body, arms, hands, etc. to be photographed at your most lovely and most svelte self.
In one of Joyce Vedral's books, she takes before and after pictures of herself -- in the "before" shot she's in a terrible suit, slumping, facing the camera square on, etc. In the "after" she's posing and at an angle. The difference is phenomenal (and taught me to ALWAYS pose for pictures!)

I remember reading about a woman who was pushing some weight loss scheme -- her after picture turned out to be a picture of a Russian model that she had stolen off of someone's website. Her after pictures would change over the years - but they wouldn't be the same person.
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 02:21 PM  
DBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09(b) View Post
In all before pics they have bad posture, bad lighting, bad hair, bad clothes, a frown and pasty skin.
and have you noticed the women usually are wearing a workout bra and elastic waist shorts that hit right in the spot to emphasize the muffin top. Then in the after picture they are wearing a tank top.
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 02:36 PM  
gigi

The infomercial also quickly flashes a "before" and "after" picture of Chalene's BFF and I"m pretty sure she was already in fabulous shape before TF.

I want TF not b/c I think I'll drop weight and turn into a fat burning machine but b/c I'm all about awesome music and staying motivated and I KNOW I'll love these workouts.

The marketing sucks though. I'm sure there are plenty of real before and after photo's stories they could use to make the "success" stories legit...boo.

Tags
deceptive marketing, moisturizers, success story, success story caveats