Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-10, 07:29 AM  
sundari

I agree Tracy's standing and floor abs are very good for me. I find her standing abs very fun. Her unweighted arm section is tough.
Old 04-08-10, 07:40 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuckles View Post
in paris, you actually feel her ab section is good? How long have you been doing it?
I don't think it builds any muscles or really strengthens so there's no way this would be my only ab work. It's an add-on... For my shape, though, it's been brilliant at whittling out a waist where I don't really have one (extremely narrow hips, etc.).

As I'm in the middle of moving right now, I've been slacking off on the exercise front... I notice a huge difference when I don't do it for a few weeks.

So, yeah, I really do think it's effective (it's been in my arsenal for over a year).

(I'm talking about the original Mat workout, btw. Her new stuff, meh...)
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 07:49 AM  
firewater

I'll echo the sentiments regarding cardio, yoga, pilates and pushups promoting long lean muscles.

I would also suggest circuit training style workouts. I've only recently started using the format.. but it's very effective.. and very cardio-ish.
firewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 07:50 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thanks for all the additional tips and suggestions!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 11:17 AM  
sweatmonger

Snuckles! I didn't mean to depress you!!! The bonus to our type of shape is having longish lean legs that many women would envy...

Back to the shoulders, I think I am sold on the TA mat... I have decided to work mainly on unweighted /light upper body work and we'll see how that goes. I am also doing a lot more yoga with lots of plank work. My arms and shoulders are dead after. I also think the key for me is to work the area daily.

Can anyone suggest something along the lines of KS Total Body Lift? I've been doing her upper body work as an add on and I like it alot.

Does anyone else feel paranoid about the shoulder muscle burning during a workout? Everywhere else on my body I love the *burn*, but on my shoulders all I think is 'bulk,bulk,bulk".
sweatmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 11:38 AM  
Ella76

So I'm an hourglass, but my upper body issues really are the same as an inverted triangle.

I actually just started incorporating TA Mat workout arm sections regularly (about 4x a week with 2 other days of other arm work), and I'm still waiting to see if that has an impact. The unweighted arms certainly hurt a lot during the workout.

Other upper body sections I do include those from Squeeze and Squeeze Stronger. I also like the Dove Bodies workouts for more of a circuit style total body workout.
Ella76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 11:43 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Thumbs up Another apple here, but not a triangle...

I do not have broad shoulders, but by golly, I'm an apple with the belly and the back fat But my legs...if only I didn't have those varicose veins (think of Jeff Foxworthy's city map of Detroit comparison...yeah ) I could wear some shorts

So lifting heavy isn't a great idea for us apples? Awhile back, there was thread where Slim Series seemed to be the most effective for apples, esp. for whittling the waist. I really need to revisit these BTW. I have Kathy's Secrets to a Great Upper (and Lower) Body and while I like it, I don't do it very often. Too many other workouts.

I would think Ellen, with her light weights, would be good for us, too. I'd love to slim down my arms. And get rid of the fat over my shoulders...so I could see what's underneath

Great thread...thanks for starting this, Sweatmonger
Old 04-14-10, 09:11 AM  
3ks

I am an apple, too and now that I read about the inverted triangle/linebacker, well I think I may be that too!

Any more suggestions/solutions to the "linebacker" () dilemma?

Maybe "someone" (I can't do it) should do a check-in for Apples and another for Pears...and maybe we can all be fruit baskets put together. j/k But, really, I think having checkins for Apples/Pears body-types would draw the people to them and we could find what works for each group. Anyone?

Lydia: I nominate you. LOL!

Kiddy
Old 04-14-10, 10:23 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I would love a check-in. I'm an apple and always curious what has worked for others............

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 10:38 AM  
jacmar

I too have an apple shape and have tried it ALL.

While I accept the fact that my shape is my shape and nothing is going to change that, heavy lifting works the best for me. While I enjoy changing it up and doing high rep/low weights, it does nothing for me.

STS in particular helped my upper body slim more than anything.
jacmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plateau